Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2016 7:14:00 AM EDT
So i have an interesting offer on something I'm trying to sell. I was offered a black DE in 44 mag with ~100 rounds through it and two magazines. Near mint condition. Not completely sure yet, but is there anything I should know if I were to accept? Are these reliable pistols? Do they hold their value pretty well? Or are they just a hand cannon to have just to say you have it?
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd do it in a heartbeat. I had one years ago, loved it. Only practical use would be for Deer hunting. I would love to get another one. It is on my list.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Reliable yes.  Value, it all depends on the person and what they are willing to pay.

Also value has a lot to do with which model, length of barrel and where it was made.

My wife bought me a used 44 magnum Mark XIX with 6 and 10 inch barrel, 3 magazines and Hogue grips for $1,500 last year as a Fathers day present.  Personally I feel she got a deal on it.

Nice addition to my collection that includes a 357 magnum Mark I 357 and 45ACP 1911.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
New gun retail sales prices keep going up. So the market is there. However, I also don't think of firearms as investments in more than recreation pleasure (plinking or hunting) and/or self defense. The DE will likely never be a daily shooter like a Glock, S&W, Springfield, Ruger, etc.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd do it in a heartbeat. I had one years ago, loved it. Only practical use would be for Deer hunting. I would love to get another one. It is on my list.
View Quote

I don't know about that. I can think of a few other practical uses. It makes a great pin gun, for example.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:25:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Here are a couple pics of the gun.

The trade would be this plus $350 and two mags for my Mk12 Mod0 upper.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What do you guys think?
View Quote
I think my body is ready.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Who built the mod 0 upper or what parts have been used in it. Mk12 Mod 0 uppers can go very high in price depending on barrel and handguard options.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I built it. It's built "to spec". PRI Gen 3 tube, Wilson Combat SPR barrel (SS), all the correct ARMS and PRI parts. I'm asking $1500 for it, so...is the DE and $350 worth that?
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Well now. You do realize that only you can really answer that, don't you? That being said, as a proud owner of a Desert Eagle w/ .44 and .50 barrels, if I had a chance, I'd jump on it. But that's me. I use my 44 on the dogtowns and carry it when deer hunting as well as "just plinking". I tend to look at firearms as multi-use tools, and wouldn't think of limiting their use to one specific purpose; i.e. big game hunting, small game, varmints, plinking... whatever their supposed "purpose". Which, of course, is why I reload. On the other hand, being in Florida, your possibilities for hunting are endless, assuming you can find a place to hunt. Totally up to you. Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're not getting any cash offers for what you want for your MK12 upper then to me I would do the trade, just because I have other ARs and I would want to have a DE44.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I built it. It's built "to spec". PRI Gen 3 tube, Wilson Combat SPR barrel (SS), all the correct ARMS and PRI parts. I'm asking $1500 for it, so...is the DE and $350 worth that?
View Quote

You can buy a brand new DEP in any caliber for about 1800 bucks. It comes with one magazine from the factory. A magazine costs about 50 bucks for any caliber online. A .44 magnum ammo varies in price at 500 rounds.

From what I can see you have a Mark 7 DEP .44 magnum. I do know with the Mark 19 DEP in .44 you can simply change barrels to get the benefit of .44 or .50AE. The .50AE model has a .44 magnum bolt but with a .50AE barrel.

I do not know if the Mark 7 has the same interchangeability as the Mark 19 model. So you'd have to consider that since it limits your options a little.

I would say if you went out and bought it all it would cost about 2k area. So take that factor into consideration with your upper that you're getting rid of.

It should also be noted that you can use a lot of cleaning tools from your AR kit to clean the DEP. The DEP borrows many concepts from the AR15 such as the bolt and gas system so you can easily clean everything.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd do it. Sounds like a fair trade value wise on both ends. Also, the Desert Eagle is not something that everyone else at the range has so it has the cool factor leaning heavily in its favor. I own the same MK VII in .44 Magnum and it is one of my favorite guns of the dozens that I've owned. The Desert Eagle is plenty reliable assuming proper grip, ammo, and maintenance. It is very accurate, and hits with a lot of authority. Recoil is quite manageable in .44 and if it weren't for ammo cost I could shoot mine all day. Size is pretty huge, but I feel some folks exaggerate it. Aside from being very heavy, it is not dimensionally a whole lot bigger than say a Beretta M9 for example.

Personally, I intentionally sought out the older MK VII over the newer MK XIX because I have no interest in using the .50AE barrel, I like the looks of the older models better, and because for whatever reason... I just wanted mine to say Israel Military Industries. If you think you might want to later add a .50AE barrel, I'd pass on this one and seek out a MK XIX version because it is cheaper and easier to convert the newer pistols.

Ultimately, these are expensive pistols considering that they are something that you are highly unlikely to use for a carry gun. I'm into mine for around $1,100.00. Still, 8-9 rounds of .44 Magnum before a reload is nothing to sneeze at, and it is a pistol capable of dropping just about anything found on American soil. Ammo is moderately affordable as far as magnum calibers go, and can be found almost anywhere. Some call it a novelty gun, but between accurate target shooting, hunting, and personal defense from anything on two or four legs... I'd say it is quite versatile.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:42:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I believe the A suffix on the serial number designates an alloy frame.   Very uncommon and only just recently reintroduced by the factory.

I would do the deal, they are a lot of fun.  However, you do need hot .44 magnum ammo to run right.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here are a couple pics of the gun.

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/BlancoDiablo/media/20160318_191223_zps9lduj6rz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t15/BlancoDiablo/20160318_191223_zps9lduj6rz.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/BlancoDiablo/media/20160318_191235_zps4ny3lljm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t15/BlancoDiablo/20160318_191235_zps4ny3lljm.jpg</a>

The trade would be this plus $350 and two mags for my Mk12 Mod0 upper.
View Quote

That's the same one I have but without the A suffix.  I have a lock up problem I'm posting about so I don't know about reliability but the cool and rare factor is definitely there.  It's always fun taking something to the range that no one else has.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I would do it.

Eta: noticed the post dates. Did you do the trade, OP?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top