Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2016 11:15:45 AM EDT
First thing, I am NOT an expert on the DE by any stretch. For some reason, it's almost impossible to find information on Red Dot sights used on the DE. I have now tried two; the Bushnell "First Strike" and the Burris "Fastfire III". Exhaustive testing? Nope. Actually buying one and shooting it, not simply repeating advertising or word of mouth? Yup.The First Strike was first up and it worked great for 16 rounds; thought I had it made. Round #17 cracked the glass, BUT it was still usable. Not real clear, obviously, but the dot was still there, and it shot to POA. Sent it in to Bushnell and got a card back about a week later saying that they'd received it and were waiting for a replacement. Excellent service IMHO.

After considerable research, decided to try the Burris. Installed it and fired a magazine, re-tightened the screw, shot another magazine, tightened the screw, another magazine, re-tighten, and yet again. Another magazine, and this time it held for the rest of the 50 rounds. Stayed sighted in, stayed put and no problems. Granted, that's only 50 rounds and also consider that my load is "only" 22.8 grains of H110 and the Berry .44 plated HP. Simply put, that's my limit and I will NOT shoot that load in my Super B Hunter. Once was enough on my arthritic shoulder and wrists. I have no idea how many shots it would/should take to consider it "good to go", but I'll keep plugging away at it and keep you posted, if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If you mean Desert Eagle, sure I'd be interested.

Eta: durrrr...didn't realize this was the Desert Eagle forum.

I've had a .44 for years now, primarily as a "fun" gun, making a big boom and blast.
Now that I have several other .44s, I've really been getting interested in what the gun can really do.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used an EoTech for a while, and then switched to the smaller Bushnell Holosight (discontinued for some time now).

Both have seen several hundred rounds and have seen no adverse effects. I usually shoot with a brake or a silencer attached, so it should be seeing less recoil than the standard barrel. But still enough recoil that it would break something if it was prone to breakage.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I put an Aimpoint 1000 on a .44 in the 80s.

Was still working till a couple of years ago when the switch broke.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I put another 40 rounds through the thing, and the Fast Fire III still works just fine. Was pleasantly surprised to find that it hit very close to point of aim at a hundred yards w/ the 50 yard zero.On the other hand, the 50 yard zero was shot offhand, so just might have little relevance to a real zero...
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
You said you kept tightening the mounting screw on the optic..............You don't use blue loctite???  I always use loctite on all my optics and never have to re-tighten or even check them.  And you can still remove the screws if you want.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Any pics of the Fastfire III mounted on the gun?

I have been considering this option after learning to dislike the factory non-adjustable sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top