Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2015 6:44:23 PM EDT
Well... Today while shooting with friends a friend was firing my DE.50 and after a 350 Gr JSP the barrel came off during recoil.  By some stroke of luck it clung to the slide by one side of the lug on the bottom of the barrel.  I inspected the frame and barrel there appears to be no damage. I reassembled the pistol and everything seems to be in working order. Thoughts?l

ETA:Spelling
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:05:37 AM EDT
[#1]
maybe he hit the release lever by accident?
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed. I don't think the Desert Eagle can come apart without the barrel release lever being in the wrong position.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.  The release was found in the 'release' position upon inspection post incident. I have checked, with my pistol I am able to turn the lever when the slide is back but the slide wont allow the release of the barrel until it returns to the forward position.  I believe that the catch may have been tripped by the shooter.    The barrel lock pin has moderate resistance, it does not require overly firm pressure to activate, however it returns to its position positively when released.  The lever does require firm pressure to activate, and will not move to the release position unless the barrel lock pin is actuated.

I am considering replacing the barrel lock spring, however I am leaning toward the freak accidental release based on inappropriate grip by the shooter.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Bad design for IPSC grip with weak hand thumb riding left side of frame.  Cut my 44 loose for that very reason as I got tired of the barrel dis-engaging during shooting.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bad design for IPSC grip with weak hand thumb riding left side of frame.  Cut my 44 loose for that very reason as I got tired of the barrel dis-engaging during shooting.
View Quote

I guess this is one instance where it pays to be left handed.  Nothing on the right side for my off hand thumb to interrupt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I guess this is one instance where it pays to be left handed.  Nothing on the right side for my off hand thumb to interrupt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True for you.  I remember the DE brochures with the right hand on the grip and the "weak" hand on the base of the grip and magazine with finger wrapped around front of trigger guard  Nice gun though which they would make a right hand version.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 1:57:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Thankfully nobody got hurt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top