Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2014 1:03:21 AM EDT
Is there a specific caliber you'd go for? Any lessons learned you wish you knew before getting one? If you had do it all over again, what would you do? etc...

I'm thinking about getting one with the mindset that:

1: It's a big gun - I've got some trigger time on a Mk 23, so I have a general idea about big handguns

2: I've put one mag through a 50 AE and didn't think it was too bad... ammo costs more, but for more of a niche, larger load cartridge, I expect it to.  I'm thinking about the .357 or .44 versions, but 50 AE isn't out of the question either

3: (As long as it proves to be reliable) it will double as a fun range gun and probably accompany me as a hiking/bear/predator protection gun.  No plans to CCW it, there are better handguns for that option.

I'm also aware of the opinion that they're like boats: let your friend buy one and then play with it on occasion. Is there validity to this? Any responses to the first few questions?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:17:21 AM EDT
[#1]
i would have bought the chrome model.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Mine was the polished chrome one. In 50AE. It's what got me into reloading.

Next one I get will be gold tiger striped in 50. I already have all the components.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Next one I get will be gold tiger striped in 50. I already have all the components.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i have a 2013  .50ae in the black finish that needs a refinish bad as it keeps trying to rust in a  moisture controlled vault.
it will be chromed at some point
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll chime in.  I have a 1997-ish model and the finish is still in pretty good shape, but it does need to be clean and wiped down with CLP or similar before storage.  I would prefer the brushed chrome if I had it to do over again,  I have a 10-in barrel in .50AE with a Leupold 4X scope, which I sometimes hunt deer with, and a 6-in barrel in .44 Mag.  It is an amazingly accurate platform if you can handle it properly and take the time to get used to it.  It's second one I have owned, because my original one was a first generation .357 from around 1988, and I wanted to upgraded to the Mk XIX.  It's nice to be able to shoot .44 and not spend as much when I still want to enjoy it at the range.  I also find it fun to instruct people on, once they are ready for it.  I will probably always own one, even if I don't shoot it that much.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Tiger stripped gold if I ever run across one for sale. I am in Calif so my options are limited. And reloading this gun makes it a lot more versatile and reliable. I have fired 300, 250, 240 220, and now 180 grain bullets thru mine, it loves them all......  .44 Mag Mark XIX , brushed chrome finish.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]
If I ever get a chance to buy one, it'll definitely be the titanium gold .44mag.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm really thinking hard about a .44, but there does not seem to be all that much out on the internet from actual owners. There's a lot of video game experts, airsofters and the like who like to chime in about it too, mainly it's size and how it can be awkward to carry.  

The only thing I've heard, and that's from the one review I've read, is to clean the gas system every hundred rounds or so and not to use lead/unjacketed ammo and it should be relatively problem free.  Is this accurate? I really only plan to use factory ammo, as a reloading set up is out of the question right now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm really thinking hard about a .44, but there does not seem to be all that much out on the internet from actual owners. There's a lot of video game experts, airsofters and the like who like to chime in about it too, mainly it's size and how it can be awkward to carry.  

The only thing I've heard, and that's from the one review I've read, is to clean the gas system every hundred rounds or so and not to use lead/unjacketed ammo and it should be relatively problem free.  Is this accurate? I really only plan to use factory ammo, as a reloading set up is out of the question right now.
View Quote

I highly recommend owning one if you are serious about it.  As far as maintenance, they are easy.  There is an included tool that allows you to disassemble and clean every part of the gun, including the gas cylinder.  Factory loads, as long as they are potent and jacketed, will work well.  The main thing you need to do is practice.  I know that sounds obvious, but the size, weight, and trigger are all factors that can frustrate a new shooter.  Once you spent some quality time with it, you'll love it, I promise.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#9]
My first gun, when i was 21, was a 50 AE.    got it got $600.  LOVED it but even back then it was 50 cents a shot.  Sold it a few years later for an 20" ar15.   I miss it but dont miss the cost of shooting it now. I would be totally happy with a reg blue'd 50AE.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I should be the proud new owner of a .44 black Desert Eagle come Tuesday! (leaving town for the weekend and shop is closed Monday, ah well...)  Got one of the "classic"  IWI ones that's made in Israel with the fluted barrel ordered tonight! I'm excited!

What else do I need to order?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I currently own a blued MKVII in .44

If I could do it over again I think I would've held out for a hard chrome model. Their bluing just isn't that great. Although the bluing wearing off gave me an excuse to send it to get cerakote'd

I will say that finding factory .44 mag that works well and is FMJ is difficult. I thought that HPR FMJ would work but it's length is too long for the mags :(
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine eats Magtech JHP just fine, which isn't expensive.  Semi jacketed is OK for it (soft point or hollow point), it's just not good to use unjacketed ammo.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:34:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mine eats Magtech JHP just fine, which isn't expensive.  Semi jacketed is OK for it (soft point or hollow point), it's just not good to use unjacketed ammo.
View Quote

Good insight, I was wondering that when I could only find JHP/semi-jacketed stuff at the local shop and picked up a box of Federal and Blazer to try.  I'll have to post pics soon, but I picked it up and it's awesome.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#14]
My Desert Eagle will run the semi jacketed soft points but when I go to clean there's copper "powder" all over on the inside of it so I don't like to use them
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My Desert Eagle will run the semi jacketed soft points but when I go to clean there's copper "powder" all over on the inside of it so I don't like to use them
View Quote

I haven't found an ammo yet that I would consider "clean" in my DE.  I find that they all have differing degrees of filth production!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:58:30 AM EDT
[#16]
agree there,,,,this gun gets dirty no matter what kind of ammo you shoot. Its just as bad as my AR15 , since both of them are gas op, they take a lot of time to clean.
 I usually shoot 50-80 rounds per session, and by that time I get nasty carbon buildup in several areas. Just figure it will take at least one episode watching " Hell On Wheels"  to clean it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:18:17 AM EDT
[#17]
+1 for the chrome, good thing I got my .44 cheap, getting it chromed will make up the cost of a new one.

The standard black will not stop rusting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
+1 for the chrome, good thing I got my .44 cheap, getting it chromed will make up the cost of a new one.

The standard black will not stop rusting.
View Quote

Which model do you have?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#19]
My standard black DE was bought used on consignment in 2008, probably a late 1990s vintage with minimal rounds through it. No rust when I bought it and none three years later when I had the whole pistol, including both .50AE and .44 barrels and all magazines nickel boron coated by WMD Guns in 2011. Makes cleaning a lot easier. Left it in satin finish, although I believe they offered a polished nickel boron option as well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#20]
My brother had a .50, which influenced my decision to get a .44.

The .44 is much more fun!
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#21]
my black 44mag is already showing holster wear on th muzzle . I have no regrets buying mine . if you plan to carry in a holster along with 2 spare mags I would suggest a good pair of suspenders or make sure your bvds are clean before you go to town since it can drop your trousers .
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#22]
What would I do differently?

Nothing!

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a .50 AE with polished hard chrome finish. The only thing I would do differently if I was to buy another one would be buying one of the new ones with the light rail. That and tritium night sights are the only things lacking on my Desert Eagle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have a .50 AE with polished hard chrome finish. The only thing I would do differently if I was to buy another one would be buying one of the new ones with the light rail. That and tritium night sights are the only things lacking on my Desert Eagle.
View Quote
Sell me yours and upgrade

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Hmmmmm, you have me tempted to actually consider that. I purchased this DE some years ago and never even took it out of the safe to fire it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Hmmmmm, you have me tempted to actually consider that. I purchased this DE some years ago and never even took it out of the safe to fire it.
View Quote
I sold my polished chrome one a few years ago to buy a BT-99 when I got heavy into trap shooting.  I have always wanted to get one back to replace it.  

No time like tax return time! Lol
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I sold my polished chrome one a few years ago to buy a BT-99 when I got heavy into trap shooting.  I have always wanted to get one back to replace it.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've got me thinking. I really would like the light rail. If you are seriously interested, send me an e-mail which is located in my profile.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:02:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You've got me thinking. I really would like the light rail. If you are seriously interested, send me an e-mail which is located in my profile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sent

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:47:20 AM EDT
[#29]
ETA: Disregard.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:28:35 AM EDT
[#30]
you only need one black one unless you are trying to collect the early models.   and everyone needs at least one gold one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top