Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 4/6/2006 9:47:13 PM EDT
Hey guys Im looking for some advice.  I have a full sized USP in .40 that I carry on duty.  I bought the gun in 1999 used so I have no idea what the round count is but I have put at least 10K through it.  About a year ago the groups starting opening up, but I thought it was me.  I finally brought my brand new UPS compact to the range and shot them side by side with the same ammo and the compact shot much better.  I keep all my guns very clean and tried different solvents in the barrel with the same results.  The internal parts show wear but it never malfunctions.  Should I send it toH&K and see how much a rebuild would cost or should I just retire it?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#1]
anybody?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:39:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I can not speak directly to the 40 USPf, but I can speak of my 45 USPf.  I have well over 27K of hardball through the gun.  I am not sure that I have lost any accuracy, if anything the darn thing is more accurate.  Now, I have read on the Internet that the service life of the recoil spring is 40K.  BigBore has stated this on several boards. So, if you are not having malfunctions perhaps it is just psychological?  Now, since you have expressed no mention of malf's it is matter of perception on your part.  I will never discount having faith in a gun at all!  Nope!  But, I say a good cleaning and you have upwards of another 30K before a spring replacement is called for.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:40:31 AM EDT
[#3]
So its phycalogical when other people shoot it with the same results?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is a thought, maybe just put a new recoil spring in it and see if it gets better.  Maybe your spring is a little weak and unlocking to quickly.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#5]
let the barrel soak in some hoppes #9 for a few days.  Really let that bitch get clean.  Might help out.

Change out the recoil spring just for shits.  I put in a Wolf spring that was 2 lbs heavier, and it also helped tame the recoil quite a bit.  

Some people shoot compacts better due to grip size, and maybe your buds had an off day.  Your USP barrel is just getting broken in

Try soaking it, run the brass brush through, and get a good jag to wipe it down with.  

Scott
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top