Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 3/4/2006 8:21:06 PM EDT
I can pick one up off of my boss pretty cheap, I've got no experience with this gun, I know its not made anymore, looks like it wouldnt be a good ccw choice due to its odd shape and I'm sure lack of IWB holsters that would fit it. So that leaves it being a range gun, are they decent shooters? The odd trigger setup has me wondering how the trigger pull will be, going to see if I can borrow it for a range trip and test it out, I can get it for $375 with 2 magazines, is it worth it?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I think so.  If you dont like it I will buy it from you.  ET
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:36:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I owned one long ago.

That's a good price because they are collector items pretty much.  It would be worth getting to hang onto, or if you're into collecting HKs.  The price alone is low for that gun.

As a using gun, you can get alot better.  IMO they suck in just about every category you can think of except value.  The trigger is DAO, and weighs a ton.  The gun is straight blowback, and uses extra deep rifling grooves to bleed off gas pressure, so MV is lower on the VP-70Z than other 9mms.  There's only four moving parts, so they're simple as all get out and a brick would probably jam more, but carrying it would be about as easy as a brick.  Euro heel mag release that's easy to bump accidentally and have the mag disconnect.

It represents several unique inovations.  It used a polymer frame WAY before anyone, including Glock,did so. The way they did the blowback/gas pressure thing was interesting.  The mags are a bitch to load, but they're 18 rounds and made tough.  The front sight system I thought was way cool, and eliminates any problems with different backgrounds etc.  I'm suprised no one has used it since.

To be fair, it's just a civie version of a Machine Pistol that could do full-auto if you attatched a shoulder stock.  The VP-70M would be pretty trick.

The VP-70Z is worth it at that price, but mainly as a collector item.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feedback on it, it'll be my first H&K, I think I will get it mostly for the collectability, already have a couple mostly safe queen rifles so why not a handgun I guess, atleast it'll take up less room Saw a video of the one with the stock on it, wouldnt mind one of those
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#4]
And don't forget one thing that comes with owning a VP70Z: bragging rights.  You are owning the very first polymer framed pistol.  So the next time you hear a Glock guy going on about how Glock invented the polymer pistol you can show him the real first polymer pistol.  HK did it well before Glock (even if HK did do it mostly wrong).
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Terrible to shoot, looks like a spacegun, king of capacity[GB also], and as stated above...FIRST polymer framed handgun. Every Hk collection should have one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Terrible to shoot, looks like a spacegun, king of capacity[GB also], and as stated above...FIRST polymer framed handgun. Every Hk collection should have one.

I ended up picking it up Took it to the range, yeah trigger isn't so hot, wont be coming to the range with me every trip but I'll shoot it on occasion, Got my foot in the HK door, now I'm debating on a USP or another Walther.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top