Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 1/25/2006 1:05:16 PM EDT
I recently purchaced my first H&K, a USPc 9. I noticed on the H&K website one of the bullet points states it has a "Patented Lock-Out Safety device". I don't think mine has this feature and I'm wondering what it is. I wasn't able to find anything on the web regarding this. Thanks in advance for any and all responces
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:16:31 PM EDT
Look inside the mag well. On the back side of the mag well you should see a small circle with 2 holes in it. That is the lock.

Heres a pic of mine on my USP9C

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:29:00 PM EDT
Thanks, how is it actuated? It looks like it takes some type of key. I poured over the manual and looked through everything it came with and can't find anything.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:37:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sharp_End:
Thanks, how is it actuated? It looks like it takes some type of key. I poured over the manual and looked through everything it came with and can't find anything.

The key comes with the gun. Its just a little 2 prong do-dad.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:47:36 PM EDT
IMO you should hide the key from yourself.

I see no reason why these fine pistols should have locks on them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:50:48 PM EDT
No two pronged do-dad here. The guy at the gun store where I puchased it said he has a couple extra (go figure). Thanks for time guys.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:09:12 PM EDT
Don't sweat it. It's a horrible locking mechanism. I don't think anybody uses it.

It's a real pain to use, and it's hard to use safely.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:15:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 4:18:15 PM EDT by Big-Bore]
The LL lock out was put in around 2000 so if your pistol is a KK it may, likely will not have one. At our shop we have NIB 9mm that are KK dated coded (just imagine how long those set on the distributor's shelf) and it does not have the lock out so if yours is an equally aged "NIB" pistol it may not have it either.

Ditto what the others said about using it (or rather NOT using it). Unlock the damned thing and then hide the key from yourself. All it will do is cause you to damage your pistol if you ever try to rack the slide with the lock-out engaged. It will cause the hammer strut to bend into the mag well and forget about your mags ever dropping free again when the slide is locked back.

By the way, it is on the LAST page of the manual. Funny how something that if you do not turn off before using your pistol it will damage the pistol is NOT on the FIRST page. Those silly Germans...

The Key often hides under the manual or under the foam. If yours is the gray molded plastic case and it is not there it is not unheard of for them to fall out of the molded plastic cases and get lost. When those two holes are turned parallel to the mag well it is unlocked, when perpendicular it is locked.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:33:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
The LL lock out was put in around 2000 so if your pistol is a KK it may, likely will not have one. At our shop we have NIB 9mm that are KK dated coded (just imagine how long those set on the distributor's shelf) and it does not have the lock out so if yours is an equally aged "NIB" pistol it may not have it either.

Ditto what the others said about using it (or rather NOT using it). Unlock the damned thing and then hide the key from yourself. All it will do is cause you to damage your pistol if you ever try to rack the slide with the lock-out engaged. It will cause the hammer strut to bend into the mag well and forget about your mags ever dropping free again when the slide is locked back.

By the way, it is on the LAST page of the manual. Funny how something that if you do not turn off before using your pistol it will damage the pistol is NOT on the FIRST page. Those silly Germans...

The Key often hides under the manual or under the foam. If yours is the gray molded plastic case and it is not there it is not unheard of for them to fall out of the molded plastic cases and get lost. When those two holes are turned parallel to the mag well it is unlocked, when perpendicular it is locked.

Mine has the lock... but I'm in no hurry to pick up the key as I have no use for it. I will take your advise and hide it from myself
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:41:14 PM EDT
I tossed my key in the bottom of the safe, My USP is my duty pistol and I can only imagine what would happen in a shoot if it was accidently locked, talk about gun safety.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:38:08 PM EDT
I love that lock on my USP 9c
I never use it, but when I do have kids, I would like to have my pistol on my nightstand with the mag loaded (possibly the chamber) and have the security that Jr. is not going to be able to blow his head off.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:45:43 PM EDT
my uspf 9 is marked KG and has the lock, or did before i installed a jet funnel. KG is 97 right?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:52:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2006 8:53:33 PM EDT by ORinTX]

Originally Posted By James00:
I never use it, but when I do have kids, I would like to have my pistol on my nightstand with the mag loaded (possibly the chamber) and have the security that Jr. is not going to be able to blow his head off.

Really?

Because I think it's not safe to unlock that @#$@! thing without clearing the gun entirely, and you'd have to pull the mag out at the very least to do so -- might as well keep the mag on the nightstand next to it, no sense in making yourself drop the mag before you unlock and then pop the mag back in.

Not to mention that in a hurry it'll be extra hard to undo that lock.

I suggest this
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:44:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By netwt12:
my uspf 9 is marked KG and has the lock, or did before i installed a jet funnel. KG is 97 right?

1996 according to the date codes on the HK FAQ page:

What is the conversion chart for date codes?
Below is the date coding chart. The letter will correspond with the number.
A - 0
B - 1
C - 2
D - 3
E - 4
F - 5
G - 6
H - 7
I - 8
K - 9

My KI dated compact 9mm does not have a lock.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:37:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JAFO:

Originally Posted By netwt12:

1996 according to the date codes on the HK FAQ page:

What is the conversion chart for date codes?
Below is the date coding chart. The letter will correspond with the number.
A - 0
B - 1
C - 2
D - 3
E - 4
F - 5
G - 6
H - 7
I - 8
K - 9

My KI dated compact 9mm does not have a lock.

And that chart is why me and my buddies code named Glock .40's "91's"
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:07:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 5:10:27 PM EDT by 51RA]
You can get rid of the lock all together if you want.

Take the lanyard block out. You will see a tiny pin holding the lock in the plastic of the lanyard block. Push that pin out and the lock will pop out.

Reinstall the lanyard block and you are done. It is completely reversible.

i did this too my USP a few years ago.

Although you could just unlock the gun and hide the key, but i think gun locks are the DEVIL.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:28:57 PM EDT
Thanks for the tip, 51RA. I lost my key so I may as well get rid of the lock completely.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:09:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ORinTX:

Really?

Because I think it's not safe to unlock that @#$@! thing without clearing the gun entirely, and you'd have to pull the mag out at the very least to do so -- might as well keep the mag on the nightstand next to it, no sense in making yourself drop the mag before you unlock and then pop the mag back in.

Not to mention that in a hurry it'll be extra hard to undo that lock.

I suggest this

My Bro has that same quick action case thing. And I do agree with you; I have considered that I should store it with the mag out. I don't think it is necessary to clear the weapon to unlock it. I know, go ahead and call me un-safe.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:28:16 PM EDT

My Bro has that same quick action case thing. And I do agree with you; I have considered that I should store it with the mag out. I don't think it is necessary to clear the weapon to unlock it. I know, go ahead and call me un-safe.

Well, you mentioned only possibly loading the chamber. In that case, there's no reason at all to leave a mag in the thing. You have to pull the mag to unlock the gun.

I'd be afraid that I'd forget the lock and think I had a hot gun when I just had a $750 piece of metal and polymer in my hand.

In any event, I do highly recommend the gun vaults. I can open mine very quickly in the dark. Not that I use the thing much; no kids around except when family's in town. The only drawback is those suckers eat batteries like nothing else, and you have to make sure you change the batteries frequently or the thing will shut off and prevent you from getting at your gun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:50:52 AM EDT

IMHO great idea...poor design. The only good I see the lock doing is if you are storing the gun and want to render it useless. Otherwise, PITA.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:31:57 PM EDT
I forgot where I left my, I think it was in my Jeep when I sold it
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:48:22 PM EDT
Gun Vault is a great idea... the disable lock to keep Jr. from blowing his head off with the nightstand gun is not.

Brinks also makes a metal security box that has a key pad you punch the code on then turn the lock and open the box, I've got a couple of those for about $25 a pop, work well for places to stash hand guns and secure them. Only takes a second to pop in a 4 digit code and retrieve your weapon.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:32:27 PM EDT
ROFL @ this thread. You know what I use my key for? Unlocking the bathroom door. Dead serious - the previous owner lost the key to the bathroom and that silly little two-pronged key works PERFECTLY for unlocking the bathroom doors in the house. Hahahaha!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:30:58 AM EDT

hmm, i would never use mine if i wanted it for defense. imagine trying to fiddle with that thing when someone is rambling through your house with a machete. talk about an adrenaline rush. just get the safe, you can pick them up for like 40 bucks.
Page Handguns » H&K
Top Top