Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 3:57:34 PM EDT
I just bought a black fullsize USP .45.

After seeing you guys post pics, especially a picture of a Tactical, I now wish I bought it with the tan frame.

I guess there would be no easy fix for my lame problem, huh?  Since the frame is the "gun" so to speak, I can't just go and buy it as a part, it will have to go thru the normal channels and it will be expensive, correct?

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Black is fine unless your gonna be in the desert.
I think your SOL.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Spray Paint
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you actually seen the tan USPs?  IMO they look like a cross between a turd and a chocolate bar.  And the gray one is even worse.  Now, that is just my opinion and as such is worth exactly what you are paying for it, but there have been a LOT of people contacting me after a few short months after buying the tan and green framed guns wishing like hell they had bought the black one and wanting to know how to change the color of their frames, so you might consider yourself lucky.  
If you're dead set on changing the color of you beautiful black beauty to some shitty looking tan then you can spray it with Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II.  It is a very hard finish and I have done several synthetic gun stocks with it in OD, Coyote tan, and black.  After it cures for a week it is a very durable finish and if you follow the directions is easy to apply.  Just be sure to not build up any finish in critical fit areas.  Here is a picture of what OD and CT look like on an 870 I did last year.

And yes, you are correct.  You cannot just run out and buy a new frame.  That would be just like buying a new pistol since as you said, the frame is the gun.  Here is another picture of the colored pistols, are you really sure you want to muck up a perfectly good looking pistol?

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never actually seen one in real life, just in pictures.

You don't think this looks good?

Is it worse when seen in real life?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I will say this, I think they are butt-ugly but if you like the looks of them, then since it is your money then to hell with what I or anyone else thinks.  I was just warning you that I have been contacted by a lot of people wishing they had not gone the colored route after the newness wore off.
They look about the same in person as they do in the pictures but to me they are horrible abominations, but to others they are works of art.  Still, I would say I read posts about 10 to one about people wanting to go back to black rather than take black to tan or green.  The green frame HK is OK I guess, certainly a lot better looking than Glock's baby poop green or that miserable excuse for a color, the HK gray, and it is a lot better looking than the HK tan IMO, but it still does not win any beauty contests in my eyes.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#6]
if you just bought it and hadn't fired it would the shop let you exchange it?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Only if you did not complete the 4473.  Once that is done and the pistol leaves the store it is a used pistol, fired or not.  It cannot be taken back and sold again as new because it has been recorded on the 4473 and has left the store.  What if a person bought a pistol, left the store with it, used it to kill someone, then came back and wanted a refund?  One can certainly clean up a pistol to make it looked unfired if only shot a few times, and how pissed would you be if you bought a pistol as new only to find out that it had been sold before and maybe even fired?  Once out the door it is used, period.  If you buy sight unseen make sure you have a return policy so long as the pistol has not been "signed over" to you on the 4473.  Once that is done most all sellers consider it a done deal on a new weapon.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Since there is no way to get the tan without buying a new one, I'll be following your advice by default.

I still think it looks good, in some pictures at least.

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
If you find someone willing to trade frames, you can go that route.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen all the colors in person (at our local gunshows). I think all of them suck, except for black and OD green.

But then, the women already have this figured out...black goes with everything!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the OD,  I bought two 45's in it
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:40:01 AM EDT
[#12]
multi color guns... they look like toys.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Black is beautiful!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I own one of every color except the gray, and every time I show them to anyone they are drawn to the tan frame. In person it looks even better, pics just don't do it justice. I love it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just bought a black fullsize USP .45.

After seeing you guys post pics, especially a picture of a Tactical, I now wish I bought it with the tan frame.

I guess there would be no easy fix for my lame problem, huh?  Since the frame is the "gun" so to speak, I can't just go and buy it as a part, it will have to go thru the normal channels and it will be expensive, correct?

Norrels Molyresin, Airbrush, oven, Done.

Go put 5 or 6 thousand rounds through it and by that time it won't matter!

Just run the S**T out of it,

D.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey nice picture of the tan one...that gun looks a little familiar...

I still LOVE my tan.  Very glad I went with it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Once you go black....

Hey, good advice to stay black. Seen US Marshalls?

Not even a two tone high doller rig.

I got $1500 in one and after 15 years I would just die if it wasn't classic black.

Maybe if I was stationed in Iraq..........nah

Good luck,

ARDog
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Have you actually seen the tan USPs?  IMO they look like a cross between a turd and a chocolate bar.  And the gray one is even worse.  

+1
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#19]
LMAO Turd and chocolate bar.

Mines pretty light compared to most turds and chocolate bars I've seen.

Unless you eat pure peanutbutter and your body can't digest it anymore...

I like the Tan for a few reasons.  One, I like tan.  I think they picked a good color.  I'm not a huge fan of it on regular USP's, but for some reason, I really like it on the Tac.  One day I'd like to pick up a Tan MK23 as well.  Two, its different and unique.  They didnt make alot, they're not making more if I remember correctly.  I could care less about value since it probably won't matter at all, but I'm an attention whore, and people usually get very curious when they see it at the range.  Three, well, there is no three, thats about it.  I could have gotten black.  But I already got a black USP .40, P2k and Mk23.  I figured I'd throw some variety in there, and Tan works the best in the most environments of the colored frames.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top