Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 10/11/2017 4:25:04 PM EDT
So I bought a P30L about 5 years ago. Had stovepipe issues right out of the gate. Read online and did the whole lock the slide back and leave it for a week, shoot 200+ rounds of +P ammo through it, etc. I've now shot over 1,100 rounds through it and I am still having issues. It's driving me crazy.

This past weekend I bought some remanfactured 9mm and .45 auto made by BVAC ammo out of Montana. Yes they are reloads, yes I suspect it's week ammo.

For the .45 I put about 200 rounds through a 1911 and my HK45. Zero issues, both pistols cycled no problem.

For the 9mm I shot it through a S&W M&P compact(with about 500 rounds through it previously ), my P30L, and a brand new Beretta M9A3 that I fired for the very first time. The Beretta and S&W were 100% reliable. They shot, ejected, and fed every round I put through them of the BVAC ammo, which was roughly 100 rounds through each.

My P30L on the other hand, stove piped at least 1 round in every mag fired, with the most being 4 stove pipes in one 15 round mag. I tried different mags, I held it firm as hell to make sure I wasn't limp wresting it, didn't matter. Stove piped the entire time.

I love the grip of the P30L, love the look of the gun, but damn, I just don't trust this thing if I had to. Are the springs really that stiff in these? That after 1,000 rounds I would still be experiencing this? I don't want to have to always buy +P ammo for it just so the damn thing will cycle reliably.

I was especially surprised that the M9A3, being brand new and unfired had zero issues with the ammo and didn't stovepipe once.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting issue.  I would contact HK and ask the same question.  You probably have an out of spec hammer or recoil spring.

My HKs get fed 124 grain ammo that I manufacture.  They are warm enough to meet the USPSA 125 power factor and I have never had a stovepipe in my standard P30 in over 20K rounds.

I made some lighter 124 grain loads a few years ago using a faster burning powder and they would not cycle 100% in my Gen 4 Glock 19 but ran fine in my P30 and P2000.  The slide mass on your P30L could be a contributor but I would think that springs could also cause issues for you.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, it shouldn’t need breaking in.

Something is wrong with that gun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, it shouldn’t need breaking in.

Something is wrong with that gun.
View Quote
+1 my 9mm HKs have never had issues at all.  that includes a p30 
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Bad ejection mechanism. Either the return spring of the slide may be too strong or the ejector spring that ejects the old cartridge is too weak. In either case, the slide moves back and then gets pushed forward and starts to close before the old case is ejected. The old case gets caught before it has a chance to fully leave the firearm.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Stop feeding it shit ammo or sell it.  HK pistols often don't like weak ammo.  Buy some Speer 124-grain ball and see what happens.  If it stovepipes with that, there might be something wrong with the gun, but I'd bet it will run 100%.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stop feeding it shit ammo or sell it.  HK pistols often don't like weak ammo.  Buy some Speer 124-grain ball and see what happens.  If it stovepipes with that, there might be something wrong with the gun, but I'd bet it will run 100%.
View Quote
Bullshit I've owned 11 HKs and fed them all manner of crappy ammo and never had an issue like this.

Something's wrong w that gun. Me personally, I'd sell it at a loss with full disclosure and buy a USP FS or Expert in 9mm instead
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#7]
P30L for 5 years and still malfunctioning.  Call HK and get it fixed.  David
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Just playing devil's advocate, but what happens when you use factory 115?

Back in the ammo scare of 2013 I was buying a lot of reloads (Freedom). Their 115g was very very weak and my P30L wanted little to do with them. Similar to you, probably one or two rounds per mag wouldn't eject and the ones that did probably went about 2-3" above the slide (rather than being thrown out). However, that same ammo would run fine in my 226, USP, G17, etc. I also bought some 40 and 45 reloads and never had an issue in my P30 40 cal, USP 40, USP 45, etc.

So it became obvious that, even though the reloads were very weak, my P30L was the only one that wasn't happy about them! It is well known the P30 will prefer 124, however it should run just fine on 115 as well. Reloads are probably hit or miss.

I have a feeling if you call HK and say 'my P30 won't cycle reloads' they're going respond exactly how we all think they will. I'd say try some factory 115 and see what happens. If you're still having problems, give them a call.

But, stick with it. I've got over 19k through my P30L V1 and it's a dream to shoot (even 115!).
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top