Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2017 4:58:33 PM EDT
I had the pleasure of shooting one of these a while back at the range and really liked it. Now that I am looking for a new EDC with more stopping power than a 9 I am seriously considering this model.

To make this purchase I have to sell off a Kimber that is a safe queen but a member of the family none the less. What I am looking for is:

- 45ACP DA/SA
- comfortable in appendix carry, I find it faster to draw in this position and I do A LOT of sitting in traffic, in urban areas.
- Relatively easy to find holsters and magazines
- reliable, I know its HK but I have to ask.

My hometown is a leftist paradise so we have a muzzled PD, and a large population of tweakers and lunatics, I mean " the poor and underprivileged" There is a special kind of bullet proof durability in crazy and high, so I am looking to switch out the 9mm with 45Acp.

Can anyone with an HK45C offer input positive and negative?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 45C and a 9C, and I'd prefer to have the higher capacity 9mm if drug-addled criminals were a potential/likely target.

The 45C is big. Its called a compact, and I suppose it is when compared to the HK45 and USP45, but its hardly small.

The best HK carry gun IMO is the P2000SK. I don't own one, but I wish I did sometimes.

That said, you should get the HK45C just because its freaking cool.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 45C and a 9C, and I'd prefer to have the higher capacity 9mm if drug-addled criminals were a potential/likely target.

The 45C is big. Its called a compact, and I suppose it is when compared to the HK45 and USP45, but its hardly small.

The best HK carry gun IMO is the P2000SK. I don't own one, but I wish I did sometimes.

That said, you should get the HK45C just because its freaking cool.
View Quote
Have to agree with this guy.  I like 45 but honestly it is hard for me to find a situation where I would prefer the higher recoil and lower capacity of a 45.  The 45C is a good gun but these days I really like 9 for carry
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a H&K  P9S  .45 loved it
I had a Sig P220    .45 loved it
I have a Glock       .45 feels big so I carry a Glock 40 or a 1911
I have a 1911        .45 I carry it sometimes
I have really wanted an H&K 45C so I say buy it  & get a Milt Sparks holster (Nexus   http://www.miltsparks.com/products-nexus.php with the magnetic snaps)
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:10:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah it's a compact by HK standards, but it's still fairly big. I think for reference it is somewhere between a Glock 19 and 17 depending on how you measure, and not much thinner. That's not to say it's a bad carry gun, I've carried mine before and even with my threaded barrel it carries well enough if you know what you're getting into. It does shoot very well, I feel confident making 25m hits, and keep it on a dinner plate easily with slow-fire offhand at that distance. Mine has also been completely reliable and a joy to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:30:22 AM EDT
[#5]
The 45C is about the same size as the G19 at about half the capacity. While I love mine, for the environment you are describing I would rock the G19 with a 17rnd reload and a couple 33rnd G18 mags in the glove box. Bottom line is .45 isn't getting you that much more with quality modern JHP these days, and in high stress situations almost nobody makes 100% hits on target. My 45C has been moved into the suppressor host realm set up as a MK24 now and I carry either a G17, G19, or G20SF depending on what I'm doing and where I'm going. Not saying you gotta go Glock, but I value capacity much more than caliber personally. Keep your 1911 and buy a cheap polymer handgun (VP9, M&P, Glock, etc) train with it until you're comfortable and start carrying that. Just one mans opinion.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Find a uspc 357sig.

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The 45C is about the same size as the G19 at about half the capacity. While I love mine, for the environment you are describing I would rock the G19 with a 17rnd reload and a couple 33rnd G18 mags in the glove box. Bottom line is .45 isn't getting you that much more with quality modern JHP these days, and in high stress situations almost nobody makes 100% hits on target. My 45C has been moved into the suppressor host realm set up as a MK24 now and I carry either a G17, G19, or G20SF depending on what I'm doing and where I'm going. Not saying you gotta go Glock, but I value capacity much more than caliber personally. Keep your 1911 and buy a cheap polymer handgun (VP9, M&P, Glock, etc) train with it until you're comfortable and start carrying that. Just one mans opinion.
View Quote
I carry a G19 mostly. I say Mostly because since picking up a VP9 I find myself carrying and shooting that more.  You make good points about capacity, that is something that worries me about the 45C and most "concealable" 45s in general. I may stick with the VP9 and the 135hp I carry in it. My AO is getting more and more high threat by the day. Meth is a hell of a drug.

thanks for the input
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I carry a G19 mostly. I say Mostly because since picking up a VP9 I find myself carrying and shooting that more.  You make good points about capacity, that is something that worries me about the 45C and most "concealable" 45s in general. I may stick with the VP9 and the 135hp I carry in it. My AO is getting more and more high threat by the day. Meth is a hell of a drug.

thanks for the input
View Quote
Fed 124gr HSTs +p. Get a VP9SK and carry that when the VP9 is too big. 10+1 plus 15rd backup mag. The 45C is big and bulky, low capacity, and slower back on target. I think most people will agree 45 has become pretty much suppressed and "hiking gun open carry" duties

ETA: FWIW I prefer HK45>HK45C. The HK45C doesn't fit a Surefire and is really top heavy. The fullsize just balances better and the grip is nicer, both are too big and heavy for all weather carry, compared to the modern 9 options
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing wrong with .45.  You don't like capacity, then carry more freaking rounds.  Pretty simple.  Most folks don't carry even a spare mag because they are too lazy.  I carry my CT a Comptac MTAC with an eight rounder with a flat base plate and two ten rounders.  Twenty nine rounds is more than enough.  Remember, that you are not there to duke if out.  I get the bullet advancements, recoil, and capacity arguments.  You should shoot your gun more to get acquainted with it and know it's short comings.  Mine works great with a can.  Works great even when dry.  It's the size of a G19.  There's nothing like looking down the business end of a .45.  When you touch one off, you know you are shooting a "man's" gun.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
<snip> It's the size of a G19.  <snip>  
View Quote
It's really not. It's decently taller of a slide, a little bit longer in slide, wider in slide, and definitely taller overall, not to mention the weight. It's actually the same height as a fullsize VP9 because of how tall the slide is. Not trying to take away from the gun, it's an awesome gun and to each there own, but G19 size it ain't. Stand them up on their sights and you'll see. I've had them all too
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's really not. It's decently taller of a slide, a little bit longer in slide, wider in slide, and definitely taller overall, not to mention the weight. It's actually the same height as a fullsize VP9 because of how tall the slide is. Not trying to take away from the gun, it's an awesome gun and to each there own, but G19 size it ain't. Stand them up on their sights and you'll see. I've had them all too
View Quote
It's close enough that those differences are insignificant when it comes to concealing the handgun.  I'll take some pictures when I get home with each handgun laying on top of the other.  To say it's "G19 sized" is pretty fair.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#12]
My buddy has the HK45CT which I have fired several times including suppressed. It is a fantastic firearm and would be a great carry piece. However as suggested above, the P2000SK (which I used to carry) is another fantastic option that is basically the same size as the G26 and gives you more capacity than the HK45C. I moved to a single stack 9 in the Walther PPS instead. I have just acquired the HK45T as I liked my buddy's so much which will become a host for an Osprey 45 when it gets out of NFA jail. Either of those options would be great, just put rounds down range and train with what you carry and you will be happy with your decision. Cheers!
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah it's a compact by HK standards, but it's still fairly big. I think for reference it is somewhere between a Glock 19 and 17 depending on how you measure, and not much thinner. That's not to say it's a bad carry gun, I've carried mine before and even with my threaded barrel it carries well enough if you know what you're getting into. It does shoot very well, I feel confident making 25m hits, and keep it on a dinner plate easily with slow-fire offhand at that distance. Mine has also been completely reliable and a joy to shoot.
View Quote
I had to check and see if I wrote this. I agree with it that much. HK45c carries nicely but it is much bigger than a G19.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Y'all exaggerate quite a bit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Haha

Like I said, lay them upside down on their sights. The Glock 19 is shorter in height at the bottom AND top in the pic next to the HK45C. I get what you are saying, the differences aren't massive, but the HK45C is bigger in everyway plus the weight. I personally just didn't care for how top heavy it is and the size to not fit a Surefire X300. Also the grip was always a little short for more, because of how tall the slide sits. At the end of the day its a trade off 9 vs 16 rounds - or 19 vs 31- or 29 vs 46 for our three mag members. Up to the individual to conclude what they see fit
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I already recommended he go with a 9mm. I don't disagree, but 1/4" isn't a massive difference. It falls between the G17 and G19...both of which are easily concealed. I can carry my 45C with a threaded barrel and 10 rnd elephant foot mag with zero issues. I still carry it often in the woods as 45 Super puts down numbers 9mmckuld only dream of.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I love my 45C, but it doesn't get carried as much as my 9mm HKs. I carry a P2000SK or P30SK the most out of the HKs, followed by a USPC 9mm and P2000. The SKs are easier to EDC and can take the larger mags as reloads. 

The 45C mainly only gets carried when hiking, but I am starting to grab it more often than I used to, because it is an awesome gun still. 

I wouldn't hesitate to carry a 45C every day, its just that I'm still more of a 9mm guy. 
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't have a compact, but I do have an HK45 Tactical.  It is probably my favorite .45, and I have a few including 2 1911's, 4 Glocks, and a USP 45.  I find the HK45 to be just as easy to carry as anything else given a good holster.  I use either a Milt Sparks Versamax for IWB or a Kramer MSP Paddle.  Both are excellent.  If you want to go with a 9mm and stick H&K, check out the P30.  It is hard to beat.

I personally can't stand DA/SA pistols, so mine are all light LEM, which I think is just about the perfect trigger system for a carry gun.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Find a uspc 357sig.

View Quote
We can be friends
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I mean, it's not an exaggeration, it *is* objectively bigger and heavier than the 19 while carrying a fraction of the ammo. I'm not hating on the 45C, I have one and a 19 and honestly prefer shooting the 45C. That doesn't mean it's not an all around clunkier carry gun. Its rough comparing to a Glock, they're about the most efficient size:capacity ratio handgun out there, complicated even further by comparing a 9mm to a .45. I just don't want a shooter to get the wrong idea, HK's definition of 'compact' is a lot different than a lot of others' definitions.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought one a month ago, and really like it.

To answer your questions:

- 45ACP DA/SA - yes, though the DA pull on mine is terrible.  Feels like a toy cap gun.  SA is fine.
- comfortable in appendix carry, I find it faster to draw in this position and I do A LOT of sitting in traffic, in urban areas.  Should be fine.  I'd use a shoulder holster instead, as I'd think you'd have the lap belt in the way?
- Relatively easy to find holsters and magazines.  Oh yes.  Mags were 30 bucks on sale at Midway a few weeks ago.
- reliable, I know its HK but I have to ask.   Non-beliver - off to the HK factory for you.  Work Makes You Free!

One downside is that most lights won't fit it, due to the silly mitten sized trigger guard that allows for limited rail length.  The Crimson Trace 204 fits fine.

For your set up, that's what I'd go with - get a big shoulder holster than can carry it, CT 204 light/green laser combo for 275 bucks.  Set it up for both laser and light.  Any issues - the goon has a face full of 100 lums, a green laser, and a .45 hole staring back at him.  I think he'll suddenly remember that he has other pressing issues.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:30:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bought one a month ago, and really like it.

To answer your questions:

- 45ACP DA/SA - yes, though the DA pull on mine is terrible.  Feels like a toy cap gun.  SA is fine.
- comfortable in appendix carry, I find it faster to draw in this position and I do A LOT of sitting in traffic, in urban areas.  Should be fine.  I'd use a shoulder holster instead, as I'd think you'd have the lap belt in the way?
- Relatively easy to find holsters and magazines.  Oh yes.  Mags were 30 bucks on sale at Midway a few weeks ago.
- reliable, I know its HK but I have to ask.   Non-beliver - off to the HK factory for you.  Work Makes You Free!

One downside is that most lights won't fit it, due to the silly mitten sized trigger guard that allows for limited rail length.  The Crimson Trace 204 fits fine.

For your set up, that's what I'd go with - get a big shoulder holster than can carry it, CT 204 light/green laser combo for 275 bucks.  Set it up for both laser and light.  Any issues - the goon has a face full of 100 lums, a green laser, and a .45 hole staring back at him.  I think he'll suddenly remember that he has other pressing issues.
View Quote
thanks !
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top