Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 7/13/2017 3:36:53 AM EDT
I recently purchased a HK45 Tactical and have been enjoying the pistol, it has been my return to the H&K line since my ex-wife forced me to sell my beloved P7 pistol.

I'm eyeing to pick up a 9mm now and am torn with the concept of grabbing a P30L, to mimic the feel of my HK45 (So trigger time on the 9mm can somewhat translate over to the usability of my 45) or just going with the VP9 Tactical.

The trigger on the HK45 has taken me a little to get used to but I've already started to get a bit of an appreciation for it.

Obligatory picture of the recently purchased HK45

Depending on how things go, the 9mm may actually become my new standard CCW as well.

Any insight by those experienced in the HK 9mms would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a P30 V3 (DA/SA w/ decocker, no safety). Personally, I just prefer hammer fired DA/SA over striker fired, YMMV. That said, I carry a Shield.

If you're looking for something that translates to the 45, I would go P30 with the same trigger variant that your 45 has.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had the 45C (DA/SA).  Now have a VP9 and P2000 (LEM).  I actually switched on account of the trigger.  As much as I prefer the somewhat care free holstering of a hammer fired pistol I just shoot striker fired better.  If you have already learned the trigger, I would agree and vote for a P30 in the same variant.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a P30 V3 (DA/SA w/ decocker, no safety). Personally, I just prefer hammer fired DA/SA over striker fired, YMMV. That said, I carry a Shield.

If you're looking for something that translates to the 45, I would go P30 with the same trigger variant that your 45 has.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

More or less echos my sentiment, in regards to trigger time on one translating over to the other.

Quoted:
I have had the 45C (DA/SA).  Now have a VP9 and P2000 (LEM).  I actually switched on account of the trigger.  As much as I prefer the somewhat care free holstering of a hammer fired pistol I just shoot striker fired better.  If you have already learned the trigger, I would agree and vote for a P30 in the same variant.
I'm a bit paranoid that I'd end up doing the same, in regards to switching from the hammer fired to the striker. I've actually used a VP9 in a few classes already (Never have actually gotten much of any trigger time behind a P30 though) and thus far I've performed the best with the VP9.

Guess I'd just feel bad going with the VP9 over the P30, in regards to the platforms not really translating between, save for magazine changes.

This might be one of the times in which the mentality of "Get both" ends up being the right answer.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#4]
VP9...I don't think a striker trigger requires any retraining.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's not the VP9 that I'm worried about needing retraining for but rather just becoming more proficient with the HK45T while using a 9mm platform.

The VP9 is my favorite striker fired pistol available now, this saying when my current daily carry is a P320 that I've had modified with a gray guns trigger, in hopes of getting it closer to a VP9 feel haha.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Every mfgr has a "Low end" line, the VP is HK's!  Go with the P30L.  If you want Striker Fired, go with the KING, GLOCK G17/19!
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Every mfgr has a "Low end" line, the VP is HK's!  Go with the P30L.  If you want Striker Fired, go with the KING, GLOCK G17/19!
View Quote
I've had both the G19 and G17. Sold both, not a fan.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've had both the G19 and G17. Sold both, not a fan.
View Quote
+1  

Lamco, do you jump into every mfg forum to spread your Clock perfection ?

Get the tactical VP9.  Already set up for a can.  Don't worry about the sjghts.  You can sight thru the can.  I don't shoot my P30s much after getting the VP series.  You won't have to get a threaded non HK barrel for the P30s.  Your HK45T is lonely and needs more mags.  

I carry my HK45s cocked and locked, same with P30s.  Don't shoot with da first.  Go shoot both, you'll end up with one or the other later.  Good things mags are compatible.

Don't worry about someone's non sense  about being a cheap low end gun.  It was priced that way to compete with the Clock.  They will appreciate in no time.  It's a HK.  I was around when the USP started out as an entry US marketed gun, since P7s were getting out of reach of most US buyers.  They are up around 9 bills now as compared to 6.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#9]
You could wait for a VP9L.

I would buy the VP9, take the free mags, and spend the rest on more extra mags, ammo, or sights (not that the sights need replacing but people often change sights).
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I had both. The P30L was more accurate in my hands, but the VP9 was a lot faster. Sadly, the answer is get both.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#11]
personally I dont really like the triggers on the P-series.  I do like the p30 but of those choices Id go VP9 personally 
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You could wait for a VP9L.
View Quote
I wish they had the VP9L out this month along with the mag deal as I'd jump all over it.  Already have a VP9 and VP9SK.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's not the VP9 that I'm worried about needing retraining for but rather just becoming more proficient with the HK45T while using a 9mm platform.

The VP9 is my favorite striker fired pistol available now, this saying when my current daily carry is a P320 that I've had modified with a gray guns trigger, in hopes of getting it closer to a VP9 feel haha.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it matters.

My VP9 was my easiest pistol to shoot fast coming off CZ and 1911's.

Shooting is shooting. If a gun requires concerted effort to shoot well or to become acclimated to it...I don't buy it or get rid of it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#14]
My VP9 is easy to shoot and quite accurate.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks all for the responses/input.

I actually have decided that I am going to do the best choice and go down the "Get both" path.

I'll be starting with the P30L though and a VP9 Tactical will come shortly after. With any luck, I'll be able to squeeze both purchases in before the promotional magazine offer expires.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks all for the responses/input.

I actually have decided that I am going to do the best choice and go down the "Get both" path.

I'll be starting with the P30L though and a VP9 Tactical will come shortly after. With any luck, I'll be able to squeeze both purchases in before the promotional magazine offer expires.
View Quote
Is an individual able to claim multiple magazine rebates? I havent found anything that says no, but also havent found anything that says yes
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't see why not.  I picked up five HKs in short order and submitted the paperwork for five plan D knives as part of the LEO offer.  Got all my knives.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
This guy gets it. VP9 is definitely a "low end" pistol. Handle one next to the P30 and it's easy to see the difference.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I used to love my P2000, but lately I have been shooting my VP9 a lot including competitions.  I now find myself occasionally short stroking the P2000 in SA mode.  Checking across different guns I own and talking to guys who know their stuff, it seems the P2000 has the longest reset of any DA/SA pistol made in the last 30 years.  I believe the P30 is pretty much the same.

Sig reset without the SRT package is pretty long, but the P2000 is still longer.  

I would love to have it improved, but the options seem to be Bill Springfield who is hit and miss but cheap.  Or Gray's guns that charges a fortune...
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Same as others have said. I bought a p30. Then a vp9. If I had no other hk's to compare it to I would have kept it. But along side the p30 the vp9 is made much cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Same as others have said. I bought a p30. Then a vp9. If I had no other hk's to compare it to I would have kept it. But along side the p30 the vp9 is made much cheaper.
View Quote
I always considered the VP9 to be a striker fired version of the P30. Can you please elaborate how it's made cheaper? Other than it's missing a hammer and the extra parts required for it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This guy gets it. VP9 is definitely a "low end" pistol. Handle one next to the P30 and it's easy to see the difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got more than a couple HKs, including a USP Compact Stainless, HK45CT, and VP9, and honestly can't tell much difference in quality. I've owned more in the past. They've all been superb pistols. I carry/trust both hammer and striker HKs.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Also, get the match sear spring for the VP9 and keep the stock TRS in. Drops the pull weight to perfection.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Hands down the VP9, trigger and ergos amazing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I say neither of you get it. What are the differences that make a VP9 a low end pistol vs the P30?
Other than the P30 costs more and has a hammer.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I say neither of you get it. What are the differences that make a VP9 a low end pistol vs the P30?
View Quote
This.

HK snobs are at it again.  

I've got a few pistols from HK.  All the DA/SA triggers are nothing to write home about.  Stock triggers not the LEM light version either.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have no idea what you're talking about, and I have two of each, along with a number of other HK pistols.

Can you be more specific?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
   I'm curious of the same question.  A Vp9  and a Vp9sk are the only HK's I've owned.
Generally speaking I'm a CZ guy.  I looked at the p30 but with just a quick min at the gun shop and I don't see the difference.
     I do like the USP 9c and may pick one up
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Some people can't get past the fact they spent about $750 on a P30 and the VP9 is on sale for $500 to compete with Glock.
Materials are identical.
But I use the internet to look at cat pictures and argue with total strangers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not fond of striker fired pistols, so the VP9 isn't really on my radar. I do have a USP9 LEM which I love and can't shoot enough. I love the LEM trigger and plan to convert my USP45 V1 to LEM in the future. You can never go wrong w/ the USP. ?? I would lean more towards a P30 LEM.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't have a dog in this fight, but after owning both, I too thought the VP9 felt "cheaper" than the P30 series.  Here's a thread I posted a while back:

I know that a lot of people like the VP9, but I was never really satisfied with mine. To me, the VP9 felt significantly less robust than the USP or the P30. If I had no prior experience with the USP or P30, I might not have noticed the following issues. Little things like the weak side slide release lever and the plastic charging supports felt cheap to me. The VP9 was the only polymer pistol I've owned that I could really feel a lot of flex in the grip when I squeezed. I've read rave reviews regarding the VP9 trigger, but my particular VP9 had a fair amount of grit in the take up and a good bit of creep just before the break. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like the USP and P30 triggers more.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_29/173881_Bought-a-new-HK-P30sk-and-HK-P30--both-in-9mm-V1-LEM---I-like-the-P30-series-better-than-the-VP9.html&page=1&anc=bottom#bottom
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I own a P30, P30L, and three VP9's . There is no difference in build quality that I can see or feel .
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I was mulling over the same decision the other day.
Finally went with the P30S.
I have Glocks to fill the striker fired pistol category, so the P30S won.  And it is a fantastic pistol.  
Now I own the P30 and a real nice USP full size in 9mm.
Looking for another HK perhaps.  May consider trading a couple of Glocks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't have a dog in this fight, but after owning both, I too thought the VP9 felt "cheaper" than the P30 series.  Here's a thread I posted a while back:

I know that a lot of people like the VP9, but I was never really satisfied with mine. To me, the VP9 felt significantly less robust than the USP or the P30. If I had no prior experience with the USP or P30, I might not have noticed the following issues. Little things like the weak side slide release lever and the plastic charging supports felt cheap to me. The VP9 was the only polymer pistol I've owned that I could really feel a lot of flex in the grip when I squeezed. I've read rave reviews regarding the VP9 trigger, but my particular VP9 had a fair amount of grit in the take up and a good bit of creep just before the break. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like the USP and P30 triggers more.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_29/173881_Bought-a-new-HK-P30sk-and-HK-P30--both-in-9mm-V1-LEM---I-like-the-P30-series-better-than-the-VP9.html&page=1&anc=bottom#bottom
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do agree with you regarding the weak side slide release of the VP9, but I repectfully disagree regarding your other points.  A lot of this is probably subjectve.  Of the plastic framed pistols that I own, the G19.4 feels the "cheapest" because the grip will flex when I squeeze it.  I'm not saying Glock is bad because it isn't.  The VP9 is my favorite 9mm and i think it's a quality handgun, but I can't say how it compares to the other HK's.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was mulling over the same decision the other day.
Finally went with the P30S.
I have Glocks to fill the striker fired pistol category, so the P30S won.  And it is a fantastic pistol.  
Now I own the P30 and a real nice USP full size in 9mm.
Looking for another HK perhaps.  May consider trading a couple of Glocks.
View Quote
It really is a fantastic pistol, I'll be placing my order for one this Thursday (If all goes well). I already ordered a IWB holster, with TLR-1 attachment and threaded barrel. Will be a little bit, before I get that but will be nice when it does show up.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:48:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Finally came home with my new P30L, will be going to the range with it tomorrow.

Honestly, it's the best grip I've ever handled of any pistol.

The growing HK family picture.

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:55:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Finally came home with my new P30L, will be going to the range with it tomorrow.

Honestly, it's the best grip I've ever handled of any pistol.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/268530/s8kbpgxl-275517.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/268530/IMG_20170808_222231-275506.jpg

The growing HK family picture.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/268530/IMG_20170808_211001-275516.jpg
View Quote
Great decision. Congrats. The P30L is an awesome pistol.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:00:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Some people can't get past the fact they spent about $750 on a P30 and the VP9 is on sale for $500 to compete with Glock.
Materials are identical.
But I use the internet to look at cat pictures and argue with total strangers.
View Quote
If you truly believe the materials used in the VP9 are the same as what's used in HK's flagship line then I doubt you've compared them. Nothing wrong with the VP9 buts it's simply not of the same quality.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you truly believe the materials used in the VP9 are the same as what's used in HK's flagship line then I doubt you've compared them. Nothing wrong with the VP9 buts it's simply not of the same quality.
View Quote
Specifically what are you talking about?  Specifically.  You've been saying that but you still haven't given any examples of these differences.

I'm not a metallurgist, and I don't know much about plastics, but I do have p30s, and vp9s and I don't know what the fuck youre talking about.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Specifically what are you talking about?  Specifically.  You've been saying that but you still haven't given any examples of these differences.

I'm not a metallurgist, and I don't know much about plastics, but I do have p30s, and vp9s and I don't know what the fuck youre talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I handled them side by side, at my local range, and honestly couldn't really feel a difference in the materials used either.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have a couple of each and the VP9 is last on my list of HK's I like but far from being any cheaper made than the P30 or USP line. The slide release being right under my thumb is why I don't like it but it still makes a great range gun and shtf if I needed to rely on it protecting my family.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:50:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Just checking back in to see it's a bit of a pissing match on the VP9 to P30.

I suspect after they looked at their finances vs their Austrian neighbors a change of philosophy is the difference between the two.
Higher volume lowering the fixed costs vs the same old that's brought them to near bankruptcy.
   There may be some minor differences but with p30sk pistols selling under $600 id say the higher margin lower production era set the p30 price.
If the vp9 came out first followed by the p30 I bet you would have seen a $800 vp9 years ago.
    With such a simple manual of arms striker pistols are the volume sellers not hammer fired.
Truth is HK missed out on the LEO market by not having the VP9 out 15 years ago while they were still f--king around with the USP.

I seriously doubt there is any magical p30 elite polymer compound or extra super steel barrel.  
I know the p30 owners want to think Escalade vs Yukon but it's more like Yukon vs Tahoe.

Good news is they are both excellent pistols. If  anything the backing plate and stupid wings are probably what's responsible for making them feel cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:01:36 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't have a P30L (P30sk instead), but I do have a VP9 and it's teh tits.  I carry the P30sk more, but the VP9 is my favorite to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't have a P30L (P30sk instead), but I do have a VP9 and it's teh tits.  I carry the P30sk more, but the VP9 is my favorite to shoot.
View Quote
Any plans on getting a VP9SK to go along with your VP9?
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top