Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 5/18/2017 7:11:32 PM EDT
I walked into my trusty local gunstore with every intention of buying a VP9 LE today.

As my guy pulled one out on the counter, I asked, "Do you happen to have an SK LE already?" Says he, "As a matter of fact..."

Folks, I was torn. I try to share my handgun purchasing love amongst multiple manufacturers. The last HK pistol I bought was a USP 45 Compact around '95 and it soured me on HK's take on SA/SA hammered pistols. I just couldn't warm to it.

Love my PSP, but I never carry it. The VP9, in all it's striker fired glory, seemed to be a good modern rendition of that P7 HK goodness when it was released. I handled one in '14 and was terribly impressed with the trigger. Loved the way it fit my hand. Somehow there was always another pistol I wanted a little more, though.

For whatever reason (ahem, this forum), I recently started looking at picking one up. In the middle of getting "new pistol" excited though, the SK was released. I may have spent a few nights enjoying some youtube reviews of the newer gun.

So back to the gunstore...He did indeed have a VP9SK LE. Night sights. Two mags with finger extensions and one with a flat baseplate. No discoloration of any plates, by the way. I checked. I've never sat at a gunstore counter longer finger banging two different guns. I simply couldn't decide. I worked at a large gunstore in college. I had suddenly become the customer I pitied most. Humiliating.

Don't think "get both" wasn't written in neon letters across my subconscious.

Fortunately, common sense prevailed. My guy goes to the back and pulls an unmolested, unopened to that point, brand spanking new full size LE from stock. Oily, virgin german steel tore it for me.

I bought the full size.

Arfcom, tell me I made the right call.

Edit for pic:

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You bought an HK VP9. How could that not be the right call?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Love my VP9, I carry it third most to my G19 and G26.  I think when I can finally get my hands on a SK it will take over as nearly full time.  The VP9 is just slightly too large when I'm trying to be concealed.  SK is on order with my LGS just waiting for my turn in line
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]
You made the right call .
I now have 3 VP9's.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]
No tactical out yet???

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#5]
First post, it's magical almost
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You bought an HK VP9. How could that not be the right call?
View Quote
Because it doesn't have a hammer.  Real HK's have hammers!   OP enjoy your Glock copy.

JUST KIDDING. I didn't care for the VP line.  The trigger is fantastic (compared to a Glock), but I've been shooting hammered HK's since the first USPs showed up on dealer shelves.  I've switched (mostly) to LEM triggers now, but I still like the traditional, over complicated, HK lock work complete with a hammer.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Because it doesn't have a hammer.  Real HK's have hammers!   OP enjoy your Glock copy.

JUST KIDDING. I didn't care for the VP line.  The trigger is fantastic (compared to a Glock), but I've been shooting hammered HK's since the first USPs showed up on dealer shelves.  I've switched (mostly) to LEM triggers now, but I still like the traditional, over complicated, HK lock work complete with a hammer.
View Quote
It's not a Glock copy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's not a Glock copy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a Glock copy.
In all fairness, he did state that he was joking

But yes, Gaston was not the first with a striker fired platform.

OP
You did good. Now shoot that babe & tell us owners what we don't already know
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#9]
You'll eventually will get the SK after shooting and carrying the fullsize.  Nice Seamaster.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You'll eventually will get the SK after shooting and carrying the fullsize.  Nice Seamaster.
View Quote
I may, at that. Full size carries pretty easily, though.

Interestingly, a Milt Sparks VMII for a G19 fits the VP9 like it was made for it.

Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I carry a VP9T in the rotation.  Using the Comptac MTAC with Blackhawk dual mag carrier.  They do carry well.  I just wished HK would come out with a size in between like the P2000/G19.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I carry a VP9T in the rotation.  Using the Comptac MTAC with Blackhawk dual mag carrier.  They do carry well.  I just wished HK would come out with a size in between like the P2000/G19.
View Quote
The VP9 is the same size as a Glock 17. The VP9SK is a little longer than previous SKs, it is actually the same slide length as the Glock 19. The grip on the VP9SK is a little bit shorter than that on the Glock 19, but the grip sleeve they have coming out for the 13rd P2000 mags will make it the same grip as the Glock 19. They have that covered pretty well in that regard for users who want a little bit more grip. It should be noted that although the slides are comparable as above, the barrel lengths on the VP series are closer to the Glock 19 (for the VP9) and the Glock 26 (for the VP9SK) because of how much of the slide comes past the grip.

So I've had the full-size and SK since they came out. HK really nailed it with this series, they really are their best handguns yet and the fact that they cost almost half of previous HK pricing is really something else. As someone who has always liked HK handguns, its was hard to really see past how much dead weight and bulk they have always had compared to the Glocks. With the VP series, their guns are finally in the adequately efficient size and weight, yet give the user things they can't get with the Glock. For me, the more traditional grip angle, excellent grip, magazine release, picatinny rail, full ambi controls, enlarged trigger guard, front slide serrations, and trigger outweigh the 2 round loss and little bit of size efficiency loss compared to the Glock series. I still really like the Glocks, I just like the VP series better.

Congrats to the OP on the purchase. The full-size is probably my favorite too, but you will get the SK now, it's nice for CCW in hot weather. One thing on the SK is 1. I really like the size 2. The VP grip really helps on the SK. I never really liked the Glock 26 size, I feel it is too short and thick, but the VP9SK is just perfect. It's a size that doesn't feel like you are really giving up a lot of gun, you still feel like you have a fighting chance with it. It's also really nice that we will be able to get 13 round mags with the extended grip should you decide that day you could conceal a little bit more grip length. Of course the first thing I did when I got mine was take it out to 100yd. It did well
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I walked into my trusty local gunstore with every intention of buying a VP9 LE today.

As my guy pulled one out on the counter, I asked, "Do you happen to have an SK LE already?" Says he, "As a matter of fact..."

Folks, I was torn. I try to share my handgun purchasing love amongst multiple manufacturers. The last HK pistol I bought was a USP 45 Compact around '95 and it soured me on HK's take on SA/SA hammered pistols. I just couldn't warm to it.

Love my PSP, but I never carry it. The VP9, in all it's striker fired glory, seemed to be a good modern rendition of that P7 HK goodness when it was released. I handled one in '14 and was terribly impressed with the trigger. Loved the way it fit my hand. Somehow there was always another pistol I wanted a little more, though.

For whatever reason (ahem, this forum), I recently started looking at picking one up. In the middle of getting "new pistol" excited though, the SK was released. I may have spent a few nights enjoying some youtube reviews of the newer gun.

So back to the gunstore...He did indeed have a VP9SK LE. Night sights. Two mags with finger extensions and one with a flat baseplate. No discoloration of any plates, by the way. I checked. I've never sat at a gunstore counter longer finger banging two different guns. I simply couldn't decide. I worked at a large gunstore in college. I had suddenly become the customer I pitied most. Humiliating.

Don't think "get both" wasn't written in neon letters across my subconscious.

Fortunately, common sense prevailed. My guy goes to the back and pulls an unmolested, unopened to that point, brand spanking new full size LE from stock. Oily, virgin german steel tore it for me.

I bought the full size.

Arfcom, tell me I made the right call.

Edit for pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/THR-Thumper/20170518_192447_zpsbh06db13.jpg
View Quote

Consider yourself validated. I bought the full size LE and shoot it better than any other handgun that I have shot to present.
It is just a fine all round excellent gun.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top