Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 2/1/2017 2:28:57 PM EDT
Hi everyone,
I just picked up my sp5k yesterday and I would like to buy some goodies for it.
I just went through the compliance requirements for my Benellli M4 so I am up to speed with the process but not on theHK.
It is a pistol. I want to add the arm brace and a vertical front grip. I would like to get the hk branded grip but will get the USA made one if needed. I do not want to go through the exercise to sbr. So... can I put the vertical grip on it and can I go HK?
Thanks for any help!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi everyone,
I just picked up my sp5k yesterday and I would like to buy some goodies for it.
I just went through the compliance requirements for my Benellli M4 so I am up to speed with the process but not on theHK.
It is a pistol. I want to add the arm brace and a vertical front grip. I would like to get the hk branded grip but will get the USA made one if needed. I do not want to go through the exercise to sbr. So... can I put the vertical grip on it and can I go HK?
Thanks for any help!!
View Quote

This is the brace everyone is using now from SB Tactical. It's awesome. No-go on the vertical foregrip as that would make it a AOW. Stupid I know.

ETA: if you SBR then you can add the vertical grip. More stupid stuff.

Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Dana,
That is the brace that I would like but they seem to be sold out everywhere.
No dice even on the USA vertical grip?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks Dana,
That is the brace that I would like but they seem to be sold out everywhere.
No dice even on the USA vertical grip?
View Quote

They are in stock at HKparts.net. Unfortunately due to our stupid laws you can't legally have a vertical grip on a pistol changes it to a AOW.

Link:
SP5K Brace
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Unfortunately due to our stupid laws you can't legally have a vertical grip on a pistol changes it to a AOW.
View Quote

Actually, if he can get the OAL to 26" or more, he can mount the vertical grip and it becomes a "firearm" instead of an AOW.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Actually, if he can get the OAL to 26" or more, he can mount the vertical grip and it becomes a "firearm" instead of an AOW.
View Quote

The SP5K is 13.9" and is classified as a pistol. How does he get it to 26" without putting a stock on it and making it an SBR?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The SP5K is 13.9" and is classified as a pistol. How does he get it to 26" without putting a stock on it and making it an SBR?
View Quote

How long is the arm brace? How long can it be made?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably cant extend it unless I added a welded on fake can. But is still registered as a pistol.
thanks for all the info!
Ill leave the vertical grip off. The stock grip is ok.
Maybe one day I will SBR it and go from there.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a great explanation of the silly laws around pistols and braces/stocks/VFG's. Stole it from Team Member Pool_Shark from another thread:

"As long as it is over 26" OAL, if it is under and you wanted a VFG you would need to register it as a AOW (same as if you wanted to put one on a glock)

How the ATF classifies a "pistol" vs a "firearm"
Pistol/Handgun: under 26" overall; no stock (foam pad/cane pad/SIG brace are not stocks), no vertical foregrip
Firearm : over 26" overall and you can install a VFG (no stock rule still applies), no limit on barrel length within the technical limitations of the platform's gas system/dwell time requirements

ETA another reason I won't go the SBR route again is in MN we are not allowed to carry a loaded rifle/shotgun in the vehicle... with the brace classifying it as a "pistol" I can throw it in my passenger seat if I want to.

In order to run the VFG you would need to AOW, pinweld or make a brace spacer on the K as it is only around 24" oal"
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:56:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info! I ordered the above referenced brace, 2 more mags and a mag coupler from hkparts this afternoon.
I didn't order the vertical grip.
Does anyone know.. when I install the brace, will it still fit in the factory storage case?
Just curious, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is the brace everyone is using now from SB Tactical. It's awesome. No-go on the vertical foregrip as that would make it a AOW. Stupid I know.

ETA: if you SBR then you can add the vertical grip. More stupid stuff.
View Quote

Did you have to make any modifications to the upper receiver in order to attach the lower?

I love my SP5k, and while it certainly is not a deal breaker, I would prefer to have a lower similar to the one that is pictured on yours.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top