Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2017 12:17:10 PM EDT
I have a first gen USP 9 and the trigger is, well, awful.  How big a difference is the $130 match trigger going to make?  I've got a $300 CZ that BLOWS this thing away in terms of trigger feel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#1]
My USP 9 Tactical has the Match trigger and it makes a huge difference in reset and trigger pull IMO. I only wish they'd offer th match trigger on the P30 line.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to hijack the post but I've had the P30L apart and it's lower is a bunch of plastic. Don't see the attraction...
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Skip the match trigger.

Get the LEM conversion kit and install:
- light trigger return spring
- match hammer spring
- match flat spring
- trigger overtravel stop.

Result: 4.5lbs DAO on every pull, short reset, *zero* over travel.

Best USP trigger.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting.  Isn't having DAO a hinderance to accuracy?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No. LEM works in a fashion where the hammer is pre-cocked internally.

Because of the hammer being pre-cocked, the first pull has the same travel as the long DA, but it'll have the same weight as the SA pull, every time. If the trigger doesn't reset, you can pull again for the full DA weight of 10lbs. If the gun cycles properly and resets the trigger, the trigger reset is the equivalent of the SA reset, if not shorter. If you want to 'decock' the gun (doesn't have decocking or safety levers), let off the trigger and the slack goes back out to the DA place while the hammer is still internally pre-cocked.

HK video explaining their LEM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Go3bgtoj8
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ordered a P30 LEM on a whim after never having even seen a HK with the LEM trigger.  I was trying to decide between a SIG Legion and the HK, and I'm glad I bought the P30.  Ive got a lot of experience with SIG's DA/SA and when shooting HK and SIG DA/SA guns back to back, I clearly shoot the SIGs better and would have never bought a DA/SA HK, but I've become a huge proponent of the LEM trigger.  I've seen it described as a SA trigger masquerading as a DA trigger.  As a bonus is the restrike capability.

If you haven't shot one, give it a chance.  Most people either love it or hate it.  Shoot one and decide for yourself.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll look into this.  Thank you both.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I ordered a P30 LEM on a whim after never having even seen a HK with the LEM trigger.  I was trying to decide between a SIG Legion and the HK, and I'm glad I bought the P30.  Ive got a lot of experience with SIG's DA/SA and when shooting HK and SIG DA/SA guns back to back, I clearly shoot the SIGs better and would have never bought a DA/SA HK, but I've become a huge proponent of the LEM trigger.  I've seen it described as a SA trigger masquerading as a DA trigger.  As a bonus is the restrike capability.

If you haven't shot one, give it a chance.  Most people either love it or hate it.  Shoot one and decide for yourself.
View Quote

I too love the LEM trigger.  I took a leap of faith and ordered a P30 V1 LEM; I'm so glad I did.  For carry, I prefer the LEM trigger over either Sig DA/SA or striker-fired Glocks, VP9, or Walther PPQ.  I wasn't expecting to like the LEM nearly as much as I do.  I shoot both the P30sk and the standard sized P30 LEM V1's as well as any handgun I've ever tried.

The LEM is nothing like a traditional long double action only trigger.  I needed to try one to fully understand.  To me, it's the best trigger I've tried for a carry/combat pistol.  For games/competition/range-only, a light single action pull with a super short reset might be a better option.  I actually just traded away my Walther PPQ because I found the trigger to be a little too light with the ultra short reset.  I never felt totally comfortable carrying it as a CCW.  I'm much happier with the HK P30 an P30sk V1's.  To me, the second strike capability of the LEM is also a huge.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:26:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, I feel much safer with light LEM (V1 for most HK pistols) for CC than I do any other trigger system, mostly due to LEM's long initial takeup giving the user some room for error and discretion--you can always back off the trigger if you decide not to fire, and it's unlikely to go off if accidentally caught on anything.

There are better triggers for competition or range work, but it's a damn fine trigger for CC.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
How is the V7 LEM different, just no manual safety?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How is the V7 LEM different, just no manual safety?
View Quote

Most LEMs don't have safeties -- V7 LEM just comes out of the box with a 7lbs pull.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:15:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Light LEM is a bunch of mushy awfulness with no reset.

The trigger with over-travel stop and nickel plated sear spring are fine, but I would go with hammer spring part #214300 (likely already in your DA/SA USP) and this trigger return spring https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Heavy-Trigger-Return-Spring-8-5-lbs-HK-Pistols-198p2265.htm
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I installed a match trigger in my USP 9 a few days ago and went to the range yesterday. It made a world of a difference over the stock USP trigger. It was worth it to me, I also wanted to keep a DA/SA gun.

I have never played with an LEM gun, but I want to after hearing everything about them. I will use my USP for steel challenge and police matches now, but if I had a carry USP9C, I'd try the LEM. Either way, stock trigger DA pull is the devil.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 USP 9 SD's that I installed match triggers on.
I have 2 USP Experts that have match triggers.

The difference is pretty significant over a first ten trigger.  The overtravel screw works well, the reset is positive, and the weight is much better.

It's still no 1911, but it's pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:47:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Why is there such an aversion to carrying in condition 1? Isn't that what the USP was designed around?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:19:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why is there such an aversion to carrying in condition 1? Isn't that what the USP was designed around?
View Quote

I don't carry condition 1 on a decocker pistol. Maybe with an LEM, sure.

Edit: I use Safariland holsters, and the retention strap won't lock with the hammer back on a USP, but they also won't lock in a 1911 with a hammer down, it can only be secured in the holster Condition 1, pretty ingenious.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I carried a 1911 for a little bit.  No problem with it, but I feel like the LEM offers a few advantages over carrying C&L.  If I was going to carry a P30S instead of my P30, I'd rather carry it C&L than decocked, safety off.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Back to the original thread topic, I installed a Match trigger kit on a USP9 SD. While the double action pull was much improved, I was a bit disappointed by the single action pull. I expected a much more crisp break, and what I got was a lot of creep and takeup. It is lighter though.

Overall, probably not worth it. But YMMV.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top