Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 9/29/2016 9:59:58 PM EDT
got it a couple of weeks ago.  Gave it a nice cleaning and lubed and greased the rails.

100 rounds of WWB and 50 rounds of Blazer Brass.

2nd round, I have a failure to load.  Click and the chamber was empty.... Rack the slide and visually saw the next round chamber.

I know about the issue people have with rest their thumb on the slide lock/release, so I was being mindful of where my thumbs were to hopefully, not have any issues.  Well hell, after shooting 1 way for so long, hard to change.  Clicked on an empty chamber and magazine.  FFFUUU.

First 15 rounds and 2 "malfunctions" already.

So I tried to change my grip up.  This made my grip on the pistol awkward and I couldn't get a strong grip on it.  I was experiencing a lot of muzzle flip.  So I do the normal 2 thumbs forward, but this time, I have my thumb underneath the bar.  PS, I'm shooting left handed.  After the 2nd or 3rd shot, the slide locks back.  Make sense, since I probably applied upwards pressure on the bar. Bah!  So now I have my left thumb pinned underneath my right thumb.  I'm hitting about 1" right at 10 yards.  I'm thinking it's most likely me, since I would think HK would zero their sights first?

I still got a couple failures to lock back on last round.  I had my partner shoot and she experienced a failure to load on the last round of the magazine.  Not sure wtf that's all about.  Had to drop the mag and rack it.  Also, while she was shooting, I noticed how poor the extraction power is, compared to the Glock 19 and my M&P 9c.  The casings were barely flying to the rightt.  I noticed a couple practically plopped right next to the shooter.

Not sure how I feel about this.  I don't want to change my grip for 1 gun.  The gun feels nice.  It does have quite the flip for being a full size pistol. A bit disappointed in that.

Is there an aftermarket shorter slide release/lock bar?

Let me know what you guys think.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine has been trouble free.  Last range session was 250 rounds with zero stoppages.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I also took my VP9T to the range for the first time tonight, and I noticed several of the same issues.

I shot 316 rounds though it, the first 16 were the last rounds in a box of Fiocchi 115 gr FMJ (leftovers from a previous range session).  I loaded 15+1, and I had a failure to eject on every single round.

I had no further failures in the remaining 300 rounds (50 rounds of Magtech 115 gr, 50 rounds of Blazer Brass 115 gr, and 200 rounds of Brown Bear 115 gr) except for a couple of instances of the slide not locking back on the last round.  I attribute that to me riding the slide release.

I also noticed a bit of muzzle flip, but that subsided after I got aggressive with my handling of the gun.  

The VP9T felt great in hand, but I'm coming from primarily shooting Glocks, so everything feels better.  I'm not going to give up on the VP9, though because it seems like a good shooter.  It shot point of aim, and I like the trigger.  I'm looking forward to getting my pistol can out of jail so I can try it suppressed!
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Weak or low quality 115 gr ammunition sometimes can be a problem with new HK 9mm handguns during the break-in period. I remember this was a issue for some people when the P30's and P30L's were first introduced and HK recommended full power NATO spec ammunition for breaking in the P30's and P30L's and I imagine the same goes for the VP9's.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I was shooting 124 gr fmjs.  Mine's a shooter.  Ten yards out.  Slow fire.  Four groups.  Ten rounds per group.  Forty rounds total.  Each box is one inch.  When I'm doing my job, the groups are phenominal.  Right side group was me not focusing.  The recoil assembly is different from the standard VP9 in the tactical model.  This is to guarantee cycling with the can.  Before HK came out with the Tactical and their own threaded barrel, many were buying aftermarket barrels and would get various FTF, FTE problems.  Some installed the VP40 recoil assembly to remedy those issues.
Use some hotter ammo.  If you're getting a lot of flip, try adjusting the grip panels and your shooting technique.

The night sights are put on from HK USA.  My VP9LE shot to the left and was not centered on the gun from the factory.  15 yards out with 124 gr fmj.  Shooting left.  Had to use good old Kentucky windage on the smaller silhouette with one shot aimed far right.

A few taps with a punch and hammer got it centered.  15 yards again.

25 yards out.  Forty rounds.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was shooting 124 gr fmjs.  Mine's a shooter.  Ten yards out.  Slow fire.  Four groups.  Ten rounds per group.  Forty rounds total.  Each box is one inch.  When I'm doing my job, the groups are phenominal.  Right side group was me not focusing.  The recoil assembly is different from the standard VP9 in the tactical model.  This is to guarantee cycling with the can.  Before HK came out with the Tactical and their own threaded barrel, many were buying aftermarket barrels and would get various FTF, FTE problems.  Some installed the VP40 recoil assembly to remedy those issues.
Use some hotter ammo.  If you're getting a lot of flip, try adjusting the grip panels and your shooting technique.
<a href="http://s161.photobucket.com/user/doe6668/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160919_190656_zpsb1x9hia6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t224/doe6668/Mobile%20Uploads/20160919_190656_zpsb1x9hia6.jpg</a>

The night sights are put on from HK USA.  My VP9LE shot to the left and was not centered on the gun from the factory.  15 yards out with 124 gr fmj.  Shooting left.  Had to use good old Kentucky windage on the smaller silhouette with one shot aimed far right.
<a href="http://s161.photobucket.com/user/doe6668/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151218_201417_zpssuigzljw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t224/doe6668/Mobile%20Uploads/20151218_201417_zpssuigzljw.jpg</a>

A few taps with a punch and hammer got it centered.  15 yards again.
<a href="http://s161.photobucket.com/user/doe6668/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151218_203233_zpsrds2zyvb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t224/doe6668/Mobile%20Uploads/20151218_203233_zpsrds2zyvb.jpg</a>

25 yards out.  Forty rounds.
<a href="http://s161.photobucket.com/user/doe6668/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151218_201645_zpsftt8czrc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t224/doe6668/Mobile%20Uploads/20151218_201645_zpsftt8czrc.jpg</a>
View Quote

You are 10x the shooter I am Tex.   If my 10 shot group, looks like those 4-10 shot groups of yours, I'm happy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.  20/15 vision helps.  I was much better when I was younger.  Time flies by quickly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Doe, outstanding shooting!
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you supposed to grease the rails on the VP's? Buddy of mine had a USP 9 compact.  He didn't clean the greasy gunk on the rails when new and had all kinds of issues.  After cleaning it and applying oil, no problems.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are you supposed to grease the rails on the VP's? Buddy of mine had a USP 9 compact.  He didn't clean the greasy gunk on the rails when new and had all kinds of issues.  After cleaning it and applying oil, no problems.
View Quote

I've been using grease on the rails for the past couple of years without issue on the other guns.  Honestly, it feels much smoother with the grease than regular CLP.

Using WeaponShield CLP and grease.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I can not figure out what you guys are doing with your hands to cause these stoppages.  I have been shooting Hk's for the last 17 years (3 different guns) with no issues.  I also own and shoot other brands the same way with no issues.  I have a standard VP9 that runs great.  Not one malfunction in over 500 rounds, and hits to point of aim.  How are you holding the gun?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I can not figure out what you guys are doing with your hands to cause these stoppages.  I have been shooting Hk's for the last 17 years (3 different guns) with no issues.  I also own and shoot other brands the same way with no issues.  I have a standard VP9 that runs great.  Not one malfunction in over 500 rounds, and hits to point of aim.  How are you holding the gun?
View Quote

I got 2 stoppages when first starting to shoot my VP9.  I had exclusively shot glocks prior to trying out the VP9 (owned and played around with a few other brands but if I was shooting a lot of rounds it was going to be through my glocks since that is what i carried) and I had to make some adjustments in my grip.  Your support thumb has to go lower on the VP9 than on Glocks IME so I found myself sticking my thumb up against the bottom of the VP9's slide.  The first round I fired from the VP9 ejected but did not feed another round but i could actually feel that i had impeded the slide with my thumb.  It took me a few hundred rounds to feel 100% about my thumb placement.  The other stoppage was from a round that had been pressed into the casing at an angle and wouldn't go into battery.  It wouldn't go into battery on the Glock I had with me either so I just kinda let that one go.  I do prefer the VP9 now that I have gotten used to these changes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#12]
pure speculation here but i would surmise your issue is due to the stiffer recoil spring in the 'T' model (vs Stock VP9). I only recently discovered they're different part #s in comparison to my non-Tactical VP9. Others have speculated the VP9T uses the VP40 recoil assembly....I cannot confirm that but if a VP40 user posts the part number here (from their manual) I can compare them.

Possibly the stiffer recoil spring would work more reliably with hotter 9mm loads and/or heavier bullet loads (124 g or 147 g). Maybe you could try that and report back if it helps or not.

Good luck,

dan h
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#13]
260 506 is the complete  recoil spring  assembly part number.  Same for both the VP9 Tactical and VP40 Tactical.  On the standard VP9, it's painted red.  The Tactical is in the white.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
pure speculation here but i would surmise your issue is due to the stiffer recoil spring in the 'T' model (vs Stock VP9). I only recently discovered they're different part #s in comparison to my non-Tactical VP9. Others have speculated the VP9T uses the VP40 recoil assembly....I cannot confirm that but if a VP40 user posts the part number here (from their manual) I can compare them.

Possibly the stiffer recoil spring would work more reliably with hotter 9mm loads and/or heavier bullet loads (124 g or 147 g). Maybe you could try that and report back if it helps or not.

Good luck,

dan h
View Quote

I'm curious as to what are hotter 9MM range ammo?

I don't plan on burning through Gold Dots or HSTs to break in a handgun, lol.  

I do have some 124gr Aguila.  I remember they feeling pretty hot, but maybe I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Aguila, S&B, Norma, 9mm Nato are generally hot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, you used the wrong ammunition for the "break-in" period HK pistols notoriously have. Try some 124gr NATO rounds instead for the first couple hundred rounds. My P30L had the same issue and had no issues with any ammo whatsoever (including really low-powered handloads) once it was properly broken in. The fact that the VP9T is using a stronger recoil spring will only compound the issue.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I've seen this before…. an ex who bought a P30L (I liked it so much I bought one too after we broke up). I had her shoot my 92FS and she had the same problems.

I attempted to replicate the symptoms shooting it myself. The only way I got it to do the same thing was to push my right thumb really hard against the slide.

Try shooting 1-handed with your thumb on the frame, not the slide. See what happens.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've seen this before…. an ex who bought a P30L (I liked it so much I bought one too after we broke up). I had her shoot my 92FS and she had the same problems.

I attempted to replicate the symptoms shooting it myself. The only way I got it to do the same thing was to push my right thumb really hard against the slide.

Try shooting 1-handed with your thumb on the frame, not the slide. See what happens.
View Quote

I'm a lefty.

My thumb will literally sit right on top of the slide release in the forward position.

Practicing holds the past couple of days.  I have my shooting thumb curled downwards.  I think this might be the best compromise.

I'm hoping there's an aftermarket shorter slide release or something down the road.  Otherwise, it's not very left hand friendly, unless you want to change your grip for 1 gun.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:55:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Contrary to the kool aid of shooting with your thumbs up, mine are down.  I've had several instructors tell me I was using the wrong grip.  They shut up once I sent rounds down range.  

If your are a lefty, have you tried removing the right side slide stop?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Not really surprised with the size of the slide stop and where it's located. With a modern aggressive grip you'd be riding it all day. Unless you get your thumbs under but yea then your going to increase recoil.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP, you used the wrong ammunition for the "break-in" period HK pistols notoriously have. Try some 124gr NATO rounds instead for the first couple hundred rounds. My P30L had the same issue and had no issues with any ammo whatsoever (including really low-powered handloads) once it was properly broken in. The fact that the VP9T is using a stronger recoil spring will only compound the issue.
View Quote

This.
I love that 124g NATO.
I've had no problem with my VP9 or 30L using hotter stuff.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:53:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Is this how they expect us to grip this pistol?

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:57:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Contrary to the kool aid of shooting with your thumbs up, mine are down.  I've had several instructors tell me I was using the wrong grip.  They shut up once I sent rounds down range.  

If your are a lefty, have you tried removing the right side slide stop?
View Quote

Don't want to modify the firearm just yet. I'm seeing if I like it enough. Otherwise, it might go on the chopping block. Bummer.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://hkusa.s3.amazonaws.com/20160930205305/VPTACWEB1.jpg
View Quote

Lol.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:06:31 AM EDT
[#25]
My vp9 has 700 rounds through it so far. Only issue  i have had is one mag wont lock.slide back on last round fired. Aside from that, it is phenomenal  handgun. Accuracy  is outstanding. If mags were cheaper it would be even better.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing wrong with this technique.  One style  does not always work with every weapons platform.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, been shooting this way for 30 + years and never had issues with my thumbs in the way of the slide, slide lock or safeties.  If you had to shoot one handed using this technique your strong hand is already in position and accustomed to the grip. Try shooting one handed with thumbs high and cradling the pistol.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#28]
If the failures were all with WWB then there is your answer.  Was in a class Oct 1-2 and one shooter with Glock 19 and another shooting a 40 IIRC both had issues w/ WWB.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Alright, 2nd session with the VP9T today.  I adjusted the rear sight so it's now directly down the middle.  Didn't take much.

Brought 100 rounds of Aguila 124gr and 50 rounds of Blazer Brass 115gr.

Started with the Aguila since it's suppose to run hotter.

I place my left thumb on top of the right thumb's knuckle area.

Bang, and failure to feed.  SOB.  2nd round in and malfunction already.

Drop mag and rack slide.  Nothing fell out.  Looks like it just didn't strip off the top round completely.

Finished mag without issue.  And I have to say, a solid ragged hole with only 1 non-touching @ 15'.  I know that's not elite, but that's pretty decent in my books.

2nd mag.  

Bang, and same fucking problem.  FTL.  UGH.  Finished mag with no issue.

3rd magazine.  Bang Bang Bang, and maybe 1 more,  then failure to eject!  Stovepiped an empty casing. Failed to lock back on last round too.  But this must have been caused by my thumb.  It just naturally wants to see up there on the bar instead of my knuckle. :(

4th, 5th, and 6th magazine all had some sort of failure.  Mixture of failure to load and eject and failed to lock back on last round.

7th magazine.  I topped off with 5 Blazer Brass for a full magazine.  

Bang, jammed FTL.  Bang.  Click.  Empty chamber.  Bang, another empty chamber.  FFFFUUU.  It's not longer a semi auto, but a single shot handgun.

Cleared out all the BB from that magazine and fired the rest of the 10 Aguila without issue.

Now I load up 3 15 round magazines with just the BB.  

Suprisingly, the 1st magazine went through fine, but did fail to lock back on last round.  I felt my thumb slipping.  Old habits.

2nd magazine, issue started popping up again.  Bang, jammed and FTF.  Cleared and BANG, failed to feed again.

Fuck this.  I'm frustrated and tired of this POS. Packed up and left.

This has been the WORST handgun I've owned by far.  I wonder if it has anything to do with my right thumb.  The bending knuckle, will lay almost on or just below the pivot point of the slide lock.

So a little over 250 rounds through this firearm and I don't think it suits me.  I fondled a PPQ 9 and PPQ 9 Navy at the shop and it felt pretty nice.  The slide lock is huge on it also, but it feels like it's more forward and potentially less of an issue.  They have it as a rental.  I may test it out and see.....

*sigh*
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#30]
That's unfortunate to hear.  Has anyone else tried shooting it?  I feel your pain.  I tried to like the P30S V3 with the safety lever, since I love 1911s.  The lever would ride on my thumb knuckle.  I ended up getting something else.  You can call HK USA CS and explain your issue, I'm sure they are more than willing to make it right or get something else.  I'm not a fan boy.  In the end, it's a tool to get the job done.  Get the tool that fits you.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's unfortunate to hear.  Has anyone else tried shooting it?  I feel your pain.  I tried to like the P30S V3 with the safety lever, since I love 1911s.  The lever would ride on my thumb knuckle.  I ended up getting something else.  You can call HK USA CS and explain your issue, I'm sure they are more than willing to make it right or get something else.  I'm not a fan boy.  In the end, it's a tool to get the job done.  Get the tool that fits you.
View Quote

Yes, my partner has, but she's a noob.  I know on our last outing, she had a couple FTF issues.  

I should have had the range master or someone there try to shoot it and see if they have any issues.  I need a qualified right hander to shoot it.  I would feel bad selling a faulty gun.

I've reached out to H&K today to see what they say.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#32]
You've posted all this here and over on the HKPro forum.

What are you hoping to accomplish?

Contact HK.

Not much else to be said.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top