Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 2/8/2002 7:13:37 PM EDT
I finally picked up my 1991 Gov`t model about two weeks ago after a 4 1/2 month wait for my pistol permit. After a good cleaning, I finally got it to the range yesterday. I had one failure to eject that i believe was due to an aftermarket mag, and one mag that didn`t want to drop free ( again aftermarket). Other than that it functioned flawlessly. It` a matte blue 5" barrel piece of art. I`m pleased.

Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:35:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/8/2002 7:36:33 PM EDT by CockedandLocked]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 3:39:40 PM EDT
How did the factory mags work?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:12:48 PM EDT
Armabill
I had 2 Colt factory mags that worked flawlessly.
Cocked and Locked,
The two non colt mags are stainless steel mags I got for my Series 70. They haven`t been exercised for awhile. They`re due for a good cleaning and lube.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:28:38 PM EDT
I have a 1991A1 Commander and my mags also work ok. I tried a Chip Mccormick in it too and got the same results.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 2:48:49 PM EDT
I just got a Wilson mag yesterday. Can`t wait totry it out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 5:21:36 AM EDT
I just picked up a 1991A1 Commander. I'm off to the range tonight to see how it shoots.

I don't know what it is about having 3/4" whacked off of the end that makes it so much better for carrying, but I like it better than a 5" gun. I love the black parkerizing too.

ARBOB,
I've had a lot of trouble with my 10+ year old mags in several 5" guns recently. Maybe it's the alignment of the planets? Your plan of cleaning plus a fresh spring has fixed all but one.

Also, I moved out of The Democratic People's Republic of New Jersery over the exact nonsense you had to go through. It took me a while to line up a good job, but it was worth it. Now I'm adult enought to buy machineguns and carry a concealed handgun.

Good luck with your new Colt a good luck with NJ.

Jon

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 4:07:51 PM EDT
My duty gun is a 1991A1. I have some 8 round McCormick mags that work perfectly while the Colt mag that came with it fails to lock the slide back when the last round is fired. Sometimes they're just picky I guess.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:45:39 PM EDT
I bought my Colt 1991 a few months ago. I liked it at first, but in my haste, I did not look at it closely enough before I bought it.

While I like the pistol, I noticed that the trigger was PLASTIC, upon close inspection I noticed the mainspring housing was plastic too. Needless to say I put some money into the gun. Whole trigger job, and new mainspring housing.

I was very upset that I paid that much for a Colt and there were important parts that were plastic. My fault for not looking close enough before I bought it.

Just don't pistol whip anyone with it and you should be fine.

Function is good with good ammo and mags.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:18:54 PM EDT
Plastic parts...I never heard of them failing and are not as cold to the hand/finger in cold weather. I know its a cheap out, but they work. I have the stainless replacements, just in case. I love my 1991-A1, similar to my series '80 Govt. model, except that ugly sand blasted finish (I glass beaded my slide, looks much better) On hand are a few of the Mec-Gar 11 round mags, that work fine in my 1991, Govt. and Gold Cup...all stainless, of course.
Page Handguns » Colt
Top Top