Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 6/19/2003 11:22:11 AM EDT
Anyone ever heard of a Series 80 Colt .45 auto civilian version of supposedly the last government contract for the .45? Supposed to be a Seal Team special in matte finish, adjustable night sights, titanium firing pin and 'special grips'. I haven't had a chance to see this gun, but the guy selling it is trustworthy, but not too knowledgeable on guns. He bought it new about 12 years ago, and that's the story he got then.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:51:44 PM EDT
The last Government contract for the .45 was in 1945.

Various Special Ops units have made small purchases of 1911's from civilian makers, but those don't LEGALLY make it into the civilian market. If this was a pistol bought by a SEAL team, it's stolen US Government property.

If some SEAL made a private purchase from a custom 'smith, it's possible.

A good rule of thumb: Buy the gun, NOT the story.

Unless you get some valid, verifiable documentation with it, it's just another gun.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:15:26 PM EDT
All true, and he's got the original box, book and papers, so I'll know more when I get a look at it. I think maybe the gun store just shoveled him a load of manure, but it's true you don't see many Series 80s dressed out like that from Colt.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:55:57 AM EDT
Except for the finish, all the parts listed were simple add ons. The titanium FP is a give away that someone with more $$$$ than experience had it first.

As the others say, buy the gun, not the story.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2003 2:59:04 PM EDT by anothergene]
Sometimes an embellished story can help sell a gun.
In this case, as said, check out the gun, it may be laid out and very nice.
And the gent selling it is just repeating what he was told, I don't fault him.
It could be worse, like a Kimber that belonged to Hitler.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:43:12 AM EDT
I guess I didn't make it clear that this was a new pistol from Colt when the seller got it, and it is not a 'commemorative'. It's just that I can't recall seeing or hearing about this version of the Series 80. I'll post when I find out more. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:00:26 AM EDT
A call to the Colt historian...I think it's got to be a letter, along with a fee would prove it out.
On Colt's website, (colt.com)it's called archive services.
It may cost $25-$50, depending.
Hopefully, if factual, would be a good story.
Sounds like a custom shop, at least.
You have me intrigued.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:42:31 AM EDT
"I guess I didn't make it clear that this was a new pistol from Colt...."

Ok, you didn't make that clear at first.

Like S&W, Colt turned out surprisingly large numbers of "Special" versions.
The Custom Shop would make up anything you wanted. Many of these weren't really even "Commemoratives", in that sense.

You could order one gun, or a special run of guns of your choice. Many of these were orders by large distributors or organizations, like police agencies, fraternal groups, and others.

However, some of these were small runs of as little as 25 guns or so, ordered by individuals.
Since your gun could be a "one off" or a small run, only Colt would know of it's existence, and it would not be public knowledge.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:05:48 PM EDT
"He bought it new about 12 years ago, and that's the story he got then."
Just for the record, that's from my first post. That should be clear enough that at least he thought it was new, and it was sold by the biggest gun shop around here as new.
I like the idea of a Custom Shop gun - thanks for bringing that up. I still haven't got around to looking at it, but I think I'll call him right now and see what the deal is. Thanks for the comments, and I'll post if I find out any more.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:45:07 AM EDT
What operator is going to have a TItanium firing pin in his weapon?

Titanium splinters very easily, and woudl nto be somethign that can be relied upon in real life to be operational.

It is a gimmick for arm-chair commandoes.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:39:09 PM EDT
I agree. Maybe the guy bought an altered pistol, or perhaps it was some kind of special order. Probably no way to tell without running the number through Colt, and I don't care to know that bad.
Page Handguns » Colt
Top Top