BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2017 11:52:15 AM EDT
School me on this model.... pluses and minuses
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The Combat Elite was Colt's second attempt at a semi-custom 1911 incorporating most of the desired "combat" features of the time (the first attempt was the Combat Government Model). They used a blued slide on top of a stainless frame, and some had a Commander hammer while others had a normal spur hammer, tall hi-vis sights, a long steel trigger, serrated front strap, and maybe Pachmayr grips as well.

Colt discontinued the Combat Elite sometime in the early 1990's but re-introduced a new version a couple of years ago.
Here's a 2014 review of the newest version: click

My early 80's Combat Elite with plain checkered wood grips:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#2]
How do you tell the older from the newer production combat elites?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The newer ones are an XSE with a stainless frame.  Slanted NM cocking serrations front and rear, beavertail, Novaks, all that stuff.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Did both older and newer versions have the national match barrel?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The newer ones are an XSE with a stainless frame.  Slanted NM cocking serrations front and rear, beavertail, Novaks, all that stuff.
View Quote
The older 90's era ones had the same features now known as XSE

Attachment Attached File

(I did change the thumb safety to match my carry guns)
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I really like mine from 2009.  It was my EDC until I switched to a new (lightweight) Commander for less weight.  It is accurate with no malfunctions of any kind over the years.  The only thing I do not necessarily care for are the FCS.
-Craig
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:55:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Combat Elite was Colt's second attempt at a semi-custom 1911 incorporating most of the desired "combat" features of the time (the first attempt was the Combat Government Model). They used a blued slide on top of a stainless frame, and some had a Commander hammer while others had a normal spur hammer, tall hi-vis sights, a long steel trigger, serrated front strap, and maybe Pachmayr grips as well.

Colt discontinued the Combat Elite sometime in the early 1990's but re-introduced a new version a couple of years ago.
Here's a 2014 review of the newest version: click

My early 80's Combat Elite with plain checkered wood grips:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16056/Old-School-Combat-Elite-194235.JPG
View Quote
Yes!  I liked the CE for it's two-tone look, full-size gun with commander hammer and usable sights.  I'm on the look out for this model for a project build.  I'd rebuild it and refinish it with a deep blue slide.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:30:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's mine.  I bought it a couple use ago.  

Is wearing VZ grips in the pic and I've since added a short trigger.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#9]
The Colt Combat Elite has now been discontinued for a second time.  Not sure why it wasn't a better seller, it is a great gun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Colt Combat Elite has now been discontinued for a second time.  Not sure why it wasn't a better seller, it is a great gun.
View Quote
Damn, I just sold mine!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Probably because a lot of people run out and buy a Kimber not knowing Colt does factory semi custom work. Most likely due to a lack of advertising....how many Kimber adds vs. Colt adds do you see in the magazines these days.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top