Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 2/11/2017 8:24:49 PM EDT
I picked up a shiny new Colt Lightweight Commander on the way to work yesterday and got a chance to put some rounds down range this morning.  I've been a 1911 guy since the early 8o's and I've watched Colt wax and wane through the years.  Fit and finish are terrific.  Not as nice as my Valor but much better than Colt's I've owned in the past.  It feels like some attention has been paid to dehorning the gun (or at least not making every edge feel like a razor blade).  The gun is fit tight with no rattle at all.  I shot a mixed group of ammo consisting of 500 rounds of 230 gr Reloads from Freedom Munitions, My own handloads and Federal HST hollow points.  I didn't shoot for accuracy but was having no problem hitting steel plates at 15 and 25 yards while firing as fast as I could.  Recoil is noticeably heavier than a standard 5" pistol but not enough to be at all unpleasant.

My only complaints about the gun are matters of personal preference.  I would prefer a night sight up front and a 10-8 u-notch in back.  I also prefer a smooth short trigger.  A order from brownells will fix that.  If this is representative of Colt's quality today I'll be buying more.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for sharing your review.  I think very highly of both my relatively new (LW) Commanders in 45 (O4840XE) and 9 (O4842XE).  Got the 45 back in Dec of 2015 and the 9 back in the summer of 2016.  The 45 has 1.2K of mixed ammo through it now and the 9 has 1.5K.  There have been no issues with either.  They take turns as my EDC in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II.
-Craig
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing your review.  I think very highly of both my relatively new (LW) Commanders in 45 (O4840XE) and 9 (O4842XE).  Got the 45 back in Dec of 2015 and the 9 back in the summer of 2016.  The 45 has 1.2K of mixed ammo through it now and the 9 has 1.5K.  There have been no issues with either.  They take turns as my EDC in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II.
-Craig
View Quote

You are welcome.  I've been thinking of picking up the 9mm version.  I'm very happy with the fit and finish as compared to colts I've owned in the past.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm angling for one of the all-steel Combat Commanders. I just like the polished blue frame.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm angling for one of the all-steel Combat Commanders. I just like the polished blue frame.
View Quote

THIS   . I have an early 70's lightweight commander. Been wanting a all steel  commander . It's killing me
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I still have my lightweight Commander I bought in 1970.  Doesn't get much use these days, but the mags have been loaded all that time and work perfectly for those who say that's bad for them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I would be all over a all steel commander in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one of the new lightweight commanders and love it but need to add something..   I was cleaning my pistol out at my land last year and lost one of the recoil springs..  wont get into that - but basically stupid on my part..   none the less - I tried to order a replacement recoil spring and to my surprise they are not offered..

I called Colt and they confirmed that the replacement dual recoil springs are not offered for the commander (they are for govt)...   After flipping out a bit and several phone calls later - they eventually sent me a replacement.   I just did a quick search and they are STILL not offered on Brownells or Midway (they do parts now for Colt)

and before anyone spouts out about how the dual recoil assembly last 10000 rounds etc - you better be extra careful with them and hope nothing happens to them...

otherwise the gun you have gotten used to shooting will now need a singe spring and guide...  or some other propriety dual spring system

I only raise this to bring awareness - and to put pressure on Colt to release these so we can order them...    I don't give a damn how long they last - you should be able to order spare parts if anything

and if I am incorrect - and these are now available and I just didn't see it - please by all means correct me - and send me a link !!

Thanks

Edit: spelling - probably still some - typed on my phone
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Good to know
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I wish my wiley clap w/front serrations had a steel frame, or was 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#10]
You have an absolutely beautiful pistol! I don't know what it is about a Colt 1911, but I have always thought that they look the best. I love my S70 repro. I will have to look into picking up one of these.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Is the ramp aluminum or did they fit a steel insert there?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is the ramp aluminum or did they fit a steel insert there?
View Quote
Colt does not put steel inserts in their feed ramps. They are hard anodized aluminum.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife surprised me this Christmas with a Colt Lightweight Defender, .45, Talo edition, 1 of 400, Black Cerakote a d Gray Blue frame.

Due to heavy snowfall, am plowing constantly, so no time right now to go give it a run.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I recently picked up a brand new LW Commander in 9mm and two other new 9mm Colt 1911s ; an all steel Combat Commander, and a Colt Competition 70 Series. I bought all three of them about three months ago over a two week period. I started with the LW Commander and liked it so much, it needed company!

Here is a fairly extensive review I did of my three new Colt 9mm 1911s:

Three 9mm Colt 1911s - Three Weeks - 968 Rounds – Initial Reflections

I had tried to get into 1911s three times since I started shooting 30 years ago. All attempts failed until I tired the 9mm version when I bought the LW Commander a few months back. Now the 1911 makes a world of sense to me. So much so in fact, the LW Commander 9mm has been riding on my hip daily the last two months instead of my Glock 19 or FN Five-seveN! Also the Colt Competition is the gun I now shoot most weekly. I have over 1000 trouble free rounds through it. I tried to carry it IWB and OWB. It is just too heavy to wear for very long. The LW Commander is perfect for carry. Even the Combat Commander is doable; but still a touch on the heavy side. You know you are carrying it after a while. The LW Commander, not so much ;)
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#15]
The 9mm LW commander is on my shortlist of firearms to buy next, thanks for the thorough reviews you have put up. If you had to choose between the LW commander and the combat commander, which would you pick and why?
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top