Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 1/8/2017 8:12:55 AM EDT
I have issues with a Commander.  The grip saftey  doesnt work . Im no 1911 smith.  B ut I can break it down 100% and reassemble .  I have replaced the springs and bought differant grip safety  and even trigger . no go. Im not competent enough to do the fitting of parts . ive threw enough money at this pistol.  Hopeing Colt can make her run healthy again. I just figured theyy might have original style replacement parts .Then again I might be wrong . Im going to contact them.But thought maybe someone in the hive had knowledge of this . Thanks WarDawg
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt they will work on a gun that old I could be wrong. For any competent smith fitting a grip safety should be cake. I would take it to a well regarded local smith for this simple fix. If you wanted to go whole hog, send it to a custom smith for a rebuild and customizing but for a good smith figure ion a several year wait!
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats just it. I want it stock factory original .If thats possibly .thanks for the reply. wd
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
By doesn't work do you mean it won't compress enough to fire or even without pressure on it fires? In the old days it was common for people to tie down or pin the grip safety to deactivate it. You still have the thumb safety ( which the subsequent browning high power had with no grip safety) if it fires I might be inclined to leave it alone.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
By doesn't work do you mean it won't compress enough to fire or even without pressure on it fires? In the old days it was common for people to tie down or pin the grip safety to deactivate it. You still have the thumb safety ( which the subsequent browning high power had with no grip safety) if it fires I might be inclined to leave it alone.
View Quote

It will fire without the grip safety pushed in. I have disassembled it and put a  complete wolff spring kit in it and tweaked the finger spring  . Nothing. It has either filing marks on the trigger bow or scratches . The grip safety seems to have been lightly filed or at least a shinny wear area . The pistol was bought used  a few years back. Shoots fine . I was just wanting to get it back in spec and possibly with original parts or original type parts . Ive searched the web and have  had a hard time finding direct replacements for this 70's commander.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it this safety your looking for?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2084271094/colt-grip-safety-1911-government-colt-new-agent-colt-delta-elite-colt-1991-series-70

The description says government but also lists new agent so IDK, may be worth a shot.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#6]
that does look likt it. i ordered one from numrich and a trigger. The trigger is wrong style .  and the grrip safety will go in but you can look at it and tell it didnt come with tghe gun.  thanks.  wd
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]
The one I linked is a new production colt part. I believe they are mim nowadays though. Was the one from numrich an actual colt part?
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#8]
no it was the same looking style though.  But the tab that sticks out was alot thinner and appeared to have been welded on. it did fit.  it wasnt very much.  12.99.   i ordered a trigger alsxo but it was not the correct style . It was longer than mine. would not work.  It didnt cost enough to eveen warrent sending it back.  10.99.  The hassel and shipping cost  would hasve eaten that up.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I searched ,  and found Brownells to have both the  Colt grip safety and Colt  trigger marked for the Commander . We will see what happens when they get here. WD
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#10]
when you remove the thumb safety, you can see a tab that goes forward and meets the back of the trigger bow

so guys will trim that tab shorter so the gun will fire if you don't have a good grip on it

you might be able to peen that tab enough to make it engage the trigger bow

a new one from brownells might require fitting too

1911's are not like legos or AR15's

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks for the info guys.  i was picturing in my mind on how it worked. Your picture is very helpful.  The parts i just ordered are Colt manufacturer parts.  while i might have to fit them.  i figure i got a better chance with everything being colt.  Fingers crossed.  thanks zgain warDawg
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#12]
if the tang on the new safety is a bit too long, you'll have to trim it to get the gun to fire,  . . . go really slow and easy, or you'll end up with the same problem.

file a tiny bit, assemble, file a tiny bit reassemble, file a tiny bit more.

done.

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Colt grip safety and a Remington  short pad trigger  .Both dropped in  with no fitting . Pistol works 100% great now. Thanks WarDawg
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top