Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 1/6/2017 9:18:52 PM EDT
I want a Colt 1911 simply because I have no other Colts in my collection.

I don't want all fancy with rails and such. Just a simple A1 style. I saw the Govt model and it seems nice, but I don't know what is preferable to desire in a 1911 and why. Does it really make a difference in a gun that will be for range use only?

Can someone give me a simple answer for their differences that I can easily understand.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#1]
80 series has firing pin block...

get a 70 series or a colt ww1 reproduction
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been doing more googling on the subject.

I don't really see where the firing pin block is an issue for me.

However, I think the series 70 is supposed to have better finish, although the one I saw seemed quite nice.

I need to decide on a specific Colt model # and go from there to find the actual gun somewhere I can buy it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]
You won`t go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like Colts current model 1911 Series 70 is 01970A1CS

The Series 80 model is the 01991.

Both look like they would serve me well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The series 70 current productions have a steel trigger and mainspring housing ( short and arched which I prefer personally) while the 1991 series trigger and mainspring housing ( long and flat ) are plastic

I have had series 80 guns with great triggers and 70's with lousy triggers so do not buy into the idea often mentioned that series 80 has a bad trigger pull
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're looking for a basic model and don't care about the drop safety, get the O1991. It's cheaper than the 70 series by s couple hundred dollars usually. I got one and swapped out the trigger and mainspring housing for arched.

It's not my go to gun, but I wanted it to look a little more like the 1911a1
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Series 80.  Nothing wrong with a 70 but the updated firing pin safety was a correct decision on Colt's part.  I have noticed over the years that they seem to pay particular attention to detail on these components.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:20:08 AM EDT
[#9]
As far as series 70 or 80, it's really up to you. Do you want an added layer of safety (a firing pin block, which just about every service pistol today comes with), or a slightly better trigger and 3-4 less parts to deal with when you do a full detail strip?

Personally, I'm okay with either. My daily carry gun is a Wiley Clapp Commander, which is a series 70. All my other Colts (.38 Super Govt. Model, and two Custom Shop Rail Guns) have series 80 internals. The difference in the triggers between the pistols are for the most part negligible.

I've heard that the series O1970A1CS receives a better polishing job on the slide flats than the O1991, but I've yet to see one in person to confirm this. In the end, either pistol will serve you well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I can remember when the series 70 came out and 1911 lovers hated it. Some in the 1911 world just don't want change. You won't be dissatisfied with either one. Now days a firing pin block is a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I had my S70 reissue worked over by Colt, and dropped it once. Now I wish I had gotten an S80 and had Colt do the work That firing pin safety seems like it'll get in the way up until you realize it might save you from yourself being an idiot and fumbling with your piece it the bathroom...

Anyway - I have multiple copies of both, and there's nothing wrong with the S80 guns. The S80 gov't models seem to be dehorned a bit better than the S70 guns...at least, my S70, I'm pretty sure they sharpened it before they shipped it because it would draw blood from any angle, including just holding it. The S80 guns I have/have had, all seemed pretty well dehorned for a factory gun.

Either way you won't go wrong. Yes, the S80 bits can make detail stripping a bit of a chore to reassemble right...it's really not all that much more difficult, just tedious to line it all up right.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Alright, here is my Series 70.

I hope to shoot it this weekend.

It feels good to have steel and wood in my hand again after so many years of only Glocks.

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top