Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2016 10:44:39 PM EDT
Colt does not seem to provide many models with ambi-safety...as a lefty, not having it is a show stopper for me...I have seen both Colt and Kimber i would jump on....is installing ambi-safety easy?   Does it take an armorer?  Thanks, v/r W
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
wrong thread, sorry.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I know what you mean. Ambi's are not hard to install unless you get one that needs serious fitting.
If you can fine one that a righty has taken off, it will probably fit perfect.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I've put them on several pistols.  Colts and Springfield Armory 1911's.  I've only had to file on one of them (the part you file is on the inside of the safety) to get it to fit/work.

I have two different types on my Colts.

One has a long curved "finger" on the right side safety.  It slides/pivots under the right side grip panel and that's what keep the right side safety in the frame of the gun

One has a small step down on the leading edge of the safety that fits into a slot on the end of a longer than normal sear pin.  That pin sticks through the right side of the frame and the step down fits into that slot and that's what keeps the right side safety in the frame of the gun.

I can't say one is better than the other.  Some grips are notched for that long curved "finger" on the first type of safety and some grips aren't - so you may have to figure out where to put a notch, how deep/wide to cut it to allow the right side safety to fit/work properly.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally dislike ambi safeties, I always wondered why someone never made a left hand only version. I have removed ambi safeties from my 1911's and replaced them with Wilson bulletproof single sided units. I am right handed, so that makes things easy for me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I personally dislike ambi safeties, I always wondered why someone never made a left hand only version. I have removed ambi safeties from my 1911's and replaced them with Wilson bulletproof single sided units. I am right handed, so that makes things easy for me.
View Quote

There are a lot of lefties here that would be interested in them.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
......... I always wondered why someone never made a left hand only version........
View Quote

They did.  The brand was known as Randall.  They made nice magazines and guns.  Sadly they went under.

Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They did.  The brand was known as Randall.  They made nice magazines and guns.  Sadly they went under.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
......... I always wondered why someone never made a left hand only version........
As another lefty here, I personally don't like any left handed models, sure I shoot left handed but after years of learning to adapt a left handed firearm feels wrong, that said I do install left ambi safeties on my AR's and my 1911's. I have tried every ambi safety made and until now all we're OK and worked but in the grand scheme of things the left side has always been the weak link, that is until Wilson came out with their Bullet Proo model, I have since replaced every other 1911 safety with theirs and did not look back at all, I'm glad I did and I feel the one real weak link in my 1911's has been addressed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Saw a few Randall mags recently at s gun show.
Weird seeing a backward 1911 mag..
Marked at $75 each..
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top