Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2016 3:41:15 PM EDT
Found this beauty at and a few others at an estate sale. This DE is unfired and appears to be an early model. I paid the sticker price on the box. The "Sale" sticker price that is. Couldn't argue one bit on the price.

The question is should I shoot this one or sell it as NIB and purchase one of the newer models.

I also picked up a NIB Smith 610 no dash for under $500.

A friend invited me to go with him. Started not to but so glad I went.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome find I'll give you the non sale sticker price
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Beautiful Pistol and a great price too.
The early ones had instances of the frame cracking with hot loads.
That's what prompted Colt to come out with the 'enhanced' version which had the relief cut on the left side above the slide stop where it goes into the frame at the plunger tube.
I wouldn't be so quick to go out and buy Buffalo bore or Underwood ammo.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The frame issue is what made me question whether I should just turn it loose and make a few bucks and reinvest in the newer version. Shooting standard loads would not bother me at all. Heck, I may just pick up a set of dies and start loading my own since the Smith I bought with it is a 10mm as well.

I like the looks of it. Always wanted one. I may keep the loads light and shoot the crap out of it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome find. Are you a collector or shooter? If you are a shooter I would sell that one to a collector who will appreciate and value its NIB condition. You should be able to sell it for enough to buy a new DE to shoot with enough left over for some ammo and extra mags.

That 610 is a sweet deal too. What's the barrel length on the 610?
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe the 610 is a 6". That one will be a shooter. Just ordered the moon clips. It's new as well. Saw one on gun broker go for over $2000. Just insane.

I'm leaning with your advice about selling it to a collector since I want to shoot the DE. Staring at it in the box does nothing for me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm leaning with your advice about selling it to a collector since I want to shoot the DE. Staring at it in the box does nothing for me.
View Quote

I'm with you. I can't stand the idea of having a gun I can't shoot but something like that should be preserved for those that will appreciate it as it sits now (NIB/unfired)

Its a hell of a pair through, if I ever get into 10mm, those are the 2 I'd want!
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice find OP....I would keep it unfired and hold onto it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:17:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The frame issue is what made me question whether I should just turn it loose and make a few bucks and reinvest in the newer version. Shooting standard loads would not bother me at all. Heck, I may just pick up a set of dies and start loading my own since the Smith I bought with it is a 10mm as well.

I like the looks of it. Always wanted one. I may keep the loads light and shoot the crap out of it.
View Quote

Disassemble the gun. If the notch the slide stop rides in is cut out at the top (open) then the problem is already fixed. If the slide stop notch is a window (closed on  top), then it is truly an older model and may develop a stress fracture in that spot.

I have a DE stainless I bought new in June of '91 and it had the cutout because Colt had already addressed the problem.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a Colt DE Blue just like yours but the box was rough and I had a few mags run through it.  Beautiful gun and too beautiful for me too abuse.  I sold it a couple of years ago on GB for $1300.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry for not get back on this, been too busy. I did disassemble the gun. It does have the open notch on the frame making it one of the newer versions. I think I will just shoot it since I wanted one anyway.

The thought did occur to me to go ahead and sell this one unfired and get one the Dan Wesson models.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats but personally I would. E more excited over the 610.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:17:40 AM EDT
[#12]
If that 610 is a 6.5" barrel model, those go for quite a bit of scratch.  As in it's worth more than the Delta Elite.  

Now that we have I-594 in WA, buying a gun like that at an estate sale would be a crime for us...  I'm just a bit jelly.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If that 610 is a 6.5" barrel model, those go for quite a bit of scratch.  As in it's worth more than the Delta Elite.  

Now that we have I-594 in WA, buying a gun like that at an estate sale would be a crime for us...  I'm just a bit jelly.
View Quote

That would be the one. Also looks to be new in the box

Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh my! This thread just delivers and delivers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#15]
You could realize a hefty profit on the DE...
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks. Hard for me to part with it. I haven't shot it yet. Having a nice Colt Delta has been on my list for sometime. I've gotta run a few mags through to make my decision. Heck who am I kidding. I'm sure I'll keep it at least for a while.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Dear OP,
    I hate you.

Sincerely,
-Everybody Else

Just kidding, nice score, shoot the snot out of it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Did you get that for the sale price, too?  Because I see those on online auctions for around $2,000ish!

This thread does deliver!  
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I sure did. I believe it was $469 as stated on the box. I knew they usually sold for much more but truthfully had no idea at what prices they command
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Personally, I would not shoot it and keep it as either a collector piece or sell it to a collector. The original Delta Elites beat themselves up pretty badly firing full power 10mm Auto.

From everything I've read, the new Delta Elites are MUCH more durable when it comes to the beating 10mm dishes out. If you want to own a Delta Elite to shoot, I would get a newer one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Great pics
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice !!!

My garage sale score was a few yrs ago.

1942 Singer 1911

FN FAL G code.

Iirc I pd $850 for both.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Personally, I would not shoot it and keep it as either a collector piece or sell it to a collector. The original Delta Elites beat themselves up pretty badly firing full power 10mm Auto.

From everything I've read, the new Delta Elites are MUCH more durable when it comes to the beating 10mm dishes out. If you want to own a Delta Elite to shoot, I would get a newer one.
View Quote
This-----^. I came across a original delta late last year, in box with a box of ammo missing 5 rounds. I paid 5 bills for it, sold it on gun broker for enough to buy a brand new delta, two boxes of ammo, 2 extra mags and lunch after I picked the new one up.  By the way the ammo was also the old Norma. The guy who bought it wanted it strictly for its collectibility.  I had one back in the day, one of the first ones to come out, and it did crack, and I had it replaced but sold the replacement after never shooting it, and Ialso wanted another one, but I'm glad I got a new version.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow what a deal, I could never get that lucky.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow! Nice score. The box adds $100 plus to the price IMO. I'd sit on it awhile. You can make money on it anytime. I rarely sell guns but the times in the past that I hurriedly sold something I've regretted doing it later. I let go of a mint 1977 SP1 awhile back to fund a HK 53 conversion that I still haven't totally gotten off the ground. I wish I still had that sp1.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Great, awesome find, OP!

I've got a blued Pre-Enhanced with very little wear, and last year, I found it's two twin brothers, boxes and all. All Dektas are great, but the blued Pre-Enhanced have an extra bit of magic in them,

Keep it, shoot it, customize it, live the dream!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Very nice find!

I'd probably sit on the Delta long enough to gear up to handload 10mm.
At my advanced age having a safe queen like a Delta Elite isn't an option.  It's getting put in the regular rotation and shot often.
Don't know about the 610.  I'm not a revolver person.  Might make an exception for the 610.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dear OP,
    I hate you.

Sincerely,
-Everybody Else

Just kidding, nice score, shoot the snot out of it.
View Quote
Yep.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top