Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 12:08:23 AM EDT
So 6 months later, I still havne't gotten my p22 back together.  I've posted on rimfirecentral.com several tiems to get help, I've seen the diagrams over there, but it's still not working.

Can somebody Take the slide off and tell me how the trigger responds? For me, I can pull the trigger, and the hammer drops.  I do it again, it doesn't engage the hammer.  But if I do it 2 more times, it slowly starts cocking the hammer.  So that makes me think I have the hammer/anvil/sear setup wrong, but I just can't get it.  If i try to assemble, I get extremely light strikes on ammo.  Even when assembled, The hammer acts springy, in that it keeps resetting without pulling the slide back. In essence, it recocks itself without the slide rotating.

This gun has no many nasty little pieces and a lousy design... my ar's and shotguns and xd make so much more sense.

Oh and I think bent the extractor spring when I was assembling the breech block, but replacing that spring will be done when.

Thanks for any help in making this not a $300 paper weight...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Might try this link to Rimfire Central. I have not read it all but it looks like detailed instructions.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=22fa685d5cb65b0a28694c98804100d3&f=48

Hopefully the link will work.  If not go to http://www.rimfirecentral.com and pick the Walther Forum.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen those directions and actually followed them when assembling, but still no luck, so taht's why I was hoping I could trouble shoot the problem by somebody else helping. The problem I think is either the hammer assembly, or else it might be the slide, that would explain why it doesn't strike the shells hard enough.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
No way you can ship it without going through an ffl is there? Ive had mine apart removing junk, and would get yours together right for nothing if you could send it to me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got done cleaning my P22, and the hammer/trigger responds exactly without the Slide, as with the Slide.  When the trigger is cocked, it only takes slight pressure to release, the next pull of the trigger produces the double action, cocking and dropping the hammer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just got done cleaning my P22, and the hammer/trigger responds exactly without the Slide, as with the Slide.  When the trigger is cocked, it only takes slight pressure to release, the next pull of the trigger produces the double action, cocking and dropping the hammer.

So after the hammer drops, you should have to pull back the slide in order for another trigger pull to do anything, is that correct?  If so, the problem is with my hammer/anvil/sear...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Light primer strikes are caused by a weak crushed firing pin return spring. All it takes to destroy one is to push the firing pin in with a poker to watch the pin come through the front of the slide. This is all it takes to damage this quality spring.  What then happens is the firing pin is not under enough spring tension to stick out past the back of the slide for the hammer to hit it and fling it forward.  The firing pin must stick out past flush for the hammer to hit it. If it's just flush with the back of the slide that is not good enough. You need to replace the spring or streatch it back out.

Well I have done that very thing many times. From everything I know about springs, that would not ruin it.  Hmm anybody know a place (home depot perhaps?) that would sell a replacement spring?  Does anybody have the specs for it?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So after the hammer drops, you should have to pull back the slide in order for another trigger pull to do anything, is that correct?  If so, the problem is with my hammer/anvil/sear...

Nope, after the hammer drops the first time, the hammer still functions as double action, meaning with one pull of the trigger you cock and fire the weapon.  You could pull back the slide to cock the gun, but no, the gun still fires without cocking with the slide.

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, after the hammer drops the first time, the hammer still functions as double action, meaning with one pull of the trigger you cock and fire the weapon.  You could pull back the slide to cock the gun, but no, the gun still fires without cocking with the slide.

Hope that helps!

It does. That makes me think even more it's my firing pin spring. Is there a way to get a new one? Also, the indent on ammo is really really narrow, rectaungular, not square like it is on most .22's.  What would cause this?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:43:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Take it to a gunsmith, dude.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Take it to a gunsmith, dude.

+1
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The only gunsmiths that I know of locally are high-end.  Also, I don't one one of the safeties in there, and I doubt a gunsmith would assemble a gun without one of the factory safeties.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The only gunsmiths that I know of locally are high-end.  Also, I don't one one of the safeties in there, and I doubt a gunsmith would assemble a gun without one of the factory safeties.

Mine did. Only one way to find out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#14]
How much would a gunsmith charge for something like this?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#15]
If you need a spare part, just call smith and wesson, the guys at rimfirecentral say that they will basically send you replacement parts for free YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top