Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2017 2:34:24 PM EDT
This is the first gun I remember firing.  It is a P-38 that my Dad ordered right out of a magazine and was mailed to his house.  He paid $19.95 for it at the time and it came as you see it here.  He is still alive and kicking but wanted me to take it home since the grandkids had been eyeing it lol.  It is a very nice matching numbers byf 44 with matching magazine.  The holster is a police holster (Mdj) dated 1925 and is still as soft as it was when it was made.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool! 
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Super nice, I need to find one for the collection to go with my 1944 BYF K98.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, I accept your offer.   $19.95.     Please send to my FFL asap.     Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]
That is awesome!
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#7]
IM me and you can double your money.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Funny guys!

Thanks for the comments. He was always kicking himself for not picking up a Luger at the same time which he said was $10 more lol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
wow, what a beautiful specimen.  could still get it shipped directly to you today, with a c&r of course, but it surely wouldn't be 19.95!
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice gun for the price, but one thing that boggles me. The P-38 did not exist in 1925, as development didn't start until 1937-38. So it is likely that the holster probably belongs to another pistol, or is from a different country all together.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice gun for the price, but one thing that boggles me. The P-38 did not exist in 1925, as development didn't start until 1937-38. So it is likely that the holster probably belongs to another pistol, or is from a different country all together.
View Quote
It's East German. MdI is Ministry of Interior and in the early 60s is was marked as MdJ instead of MdI (apparently old German tradition of using J for an I) III/61 is the date and 1925 I believe is an item code. A lot of wartime stuff was reworked until they got in line with Soviet armaments. If the holster originally came with the pistol, it almost makes it MORE intriguing. Very nice piece!
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's East German. MdI is Ministry of Interior and in the early 60s is was marked as MdJ instead of MdI (apparently old German tradition of using J for an I) III/61 is the date and 1925 I believe is an item code. A lot of wartime stuff was reworked until they got in line with Soviet armaments. If the holster originally came with the pistol, it almost makes it MORE intriguing. Very nice piece!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know now that you mention that look under the frame serial number. There is an East German proof stamp there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That sounds about right. I had looked it up before and found the holster is not WW2 vintage. Also, the stamp on the left front of the slide in front of P.38 is a gear looking stamp which I thought designated it as a police pistol. Possibly late war or post WW2.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You know now that you mention that look under the frame serial number. There is an East German proof stamp there.
View Quote
Yes! Thank you for pointing that out. There is the same gear stamp on thd front slide as on the trigger guard.  So E. German police is what that stamp designates?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes! Thank you for pointing that out. There is the same gear stamp on thd front slide as on the trigger guard.  So E. German police is what that stamp designates?
View Quote
Never got into VOPO guns, when I was collecting heavy they were looked down upon, but now have their own history. Anyway I believe it is a basic rework type acceptance stamp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top