Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2002 3:00:53 AM EDT
I really enjoy shooting my P-38 and it is still as tight and accurate as many new guns. It's also one of those that when you bring it out, eveyone is your instant friend. They all want to give it a try.

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:28:44 AM EDT
[#1]
edited because my cat jumped on my keyboard and posted this twice.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been kicking around the idea of getting another.  I used to have one but got rid of it.  It was hard chrome plated and the rear sight was loose, so it was overall a pretty wierd specimen.  I looked at the P-1's for sale lately, but I just don't know if I want the alloy frame.

I'd be buying a shooter anyway, so I'm not all wrapped around the axle about collector value, but I just don't know about the P1.  I'll probably just pick one up when I run across the right one.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've been kicking around the idea of getting another.  I used to have one but got rid of it.  It was hard chrome plated and the rear sight was loose, so it was overall a pretty wierd specimen.  I looked at the P-1's for sale lately, but I just don't know if I want the alloy frame.

I'd be buying a shooter anyway, so I'm not all wrapped around the axle about collector value, but I just don't know about the P1.  I'll probably just pick one up when I run across the right one.

Ross

SOG has some real P-38's in stock right now but I think they want about $500.00 for the P-38 and about $250 for the P-1.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I love shooting my P-38s, nice, accurate, reliable pistols.
And the "Cool Factor" is certainly present as well.
For a 1938 design, they were WAY ahead of their time.
I don't like the P-1s, that alloy frame just feels cheap.
WW2 production P-38s are MUCH better.
I only buy matched number guns, so they can be BOTH collectors and reliable shooters.
The parts were numbered for a reason!
(They fit better that way)
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:13:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I love shooting my P-38s, nice, accurate, reliable pistols.
And the "Cool Factor" is certainly present as well.
For a 1938 design, they were WAY ahead of their time.
I don't like the P-1s, that alloy frame just feels cheap.
WW2 production P-38s are MUCH better.
I only buy matched number guns, so they can be BOTH collectors and reliable shooters.
The parts were numbered for a reason!
(They fit better that way)

Yes, your observation that the alloy frame just feels cheap (rather than odd or unbalanced) is really what it is.  I figure the right P-38 will find me.  I would get matching numbers as well for the same reason.  I just don't really care too much about finnish/refinnish.  More what the actual condition of the gun is.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top