Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 8:27:38 PM EDT
Other than the weight of  4 less bullets, is there any reason to consider the Taurus 745 over the 145?  They seem to be almost identical in size and cost, am I missing something?

My biggest concern is that my FFL's dealer only has the 745 in stock and ready to ship.  If it's worth the wait, I'll hold out until the 145's are back in stock.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The 745 has a narrower grip due the single stack mag. I have small hands and can't hold a hi-cap .45 with one hand and fire it comfortably. The little 745 fits my hand like a glove.
They look similar. But isn't the 145 longer, taller, wider and heavier? Similar pistols, but the bigger one is scaled up.
For me, the 745 is a hard hitting, easy and comfortable to shoot compact pistol. I really like it. Darned accurate too. But it does need good ammo though! Man! Don't shoot Wolf ammo in a Taurus! Many failures to fire and some failures to feed! It loves Winchester and Remmington though. Once I found that out, I bulk ordered a case of Winchester .45 acp through SG. After the members discount and coupon it was $209 shipped for 1000 rounds.  And in a couple months I'll get another $11 rebate back because I shopped there through "Fat Wallet". Final cost $199. Not a bad bargain.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The 745 has a narrower grip due the single stack mag. I have small hands and can't hold a hi-cap .45 with one hand and fire it comfortably. The little 745 fits my hand like a glove.
They look similar. But isn't the 145 longer, taller, wider and heavier? Similar pistols, but the bigger one is scaled up.
For me, the 745 is a hard hitting, easy and comfortable to shoot compact pistol. I really like it. Darned accurate too. But it does need good ammo though! Man! Don't shoot Wolf ammo in a Taurus! Many failures to fire and some failures to feed! It loves Winchester and Remmington though. Once I found that out, I bulk ordered a case of Winchester .45 acp through SG. After the members discount and coupon it was $209 shipped for 1000 rounds.  And in a couple months I'll get another $11 rebate back because I shopped there through "Fat Wallet". Final cost $199. Not a bad bargain.

I saw your review of it, and that's what got me looking at them.  It did seem to me that they were virtually identical in dimensions, but what you say about the handle  needing to be wider for the double stack mags seems like it would be right.  I think that the weight difference was 3 ounces between the two.

What kind of holster are you using for your 745?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have one yet. I really need to take it to  the local gun shop and match it up against something that hold it clipped to my belt for an out in the open carry.
I shouldn't ever need to do a concealed carry. So I've no need to apply for that permit.  But running my own shop and being the only here often times I do want to keep it handy. And at the range a belt holster would be handy to train with.
I'm taking it to the range again tomorrow or this weekend. I've got 50 rounds of Winchester and 50 of Remmington. If it shoots as well again as it did last time on the Winchester I'll be very happy!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out this thread  and please do give a  range report!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
This gun is going back to Taurus. I must have got an "off" one.
Fired 100 rounds today between my wife & I using it. 50 Remington, 50 Winchester. Had three failures to fire. Pulling the trigger a second time did fire the round. I had one failure to feed. Bullet hits the ramp and stops the slide. My wife had three failures like that.  Worst of all it had three failures to chamber a bullet! (Never did that before!) Twice to my wife and once on me. Damn thing tried to fire on an empty chamber. The slide went right over the round. These aren't fatiqued magazine springs either. I only loaded them when we got to the range.
When it worked, it ran sweet. When it stopped up, all I could think was "This thing could get me killed".
I called Taurus this afternoon. I spent about 20 minutes talking about it's history with the rep. He was very helpful/professional and knowledgeable. I never felt like he was trying to get me to go away or anything. He did say they're backed up about 4 weeks with work right now to complete a job. No sweat, I can be patient. They even told me that when I get it back, if it still fails to perform they will work something out with me to exchange it for another model. I'll ship it there tomorrow and let them do their thing. I really like this gun. But it needs to be reliable.
Funny thing was  there was a Border Patrol agent at the range with a PT145 today. He swears by it and it's his personal carry weapon. He watched us use our PT745 and thought what it did was terrible. In his circle of friends  the Taurus's are considered bulletproof carry weapons. Mine really surprised him.

By the way, I compared our two pistols side by side. The PT745 IS more compact than the PT145. The grip is 1/8" to 3/16" narrower and  the gun is 1/8" shorter in length. The slides seem almost identicle. So it is smaller, but not by a whole lot. On the PT145 the grip is wider than the slide. On the PT745 it's about 1/8" narrower than the slide. It was easier for to hold one handed for me.

My wife hated shooting the P64. She stopped after two mags. It was hurting her hand. She preferred the comfortable grip on the Taurus and the DA trigger better too. Pretty neat when a .45 is more comfy to shoot than a 9mm Mak.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the follow up.  I hope I don't have any problems like that with mine.  I picked up a 145 this morning.  Damn those things are difficult to find!  I had to talk to 7 different stores before I found one that had it in stock.  Mine was the last one.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I filled out the factory paperwork and wrote up a list of how the gun is behaving/malfunctioning and took it back to the Dealer today to ship to Taurus. They'll take care of it for me. No cost to me for the shipping. The owner/gunsmith there told me he's only had to use  their warranty service one time. He had a Taurus of his own that was stolen and then later returned to him by the Police three years later in terrible condition. He sent it back to Taurus. They needed three months to rebuild it. But he says it shot like new when he got it back. They did everything but re-blue the gun. He said he was so happy with it that he refinished it with parkerizing so it'd look as good as it worked after that.
I expect in a week or so I should get a letter from Taurus that they've inducted it for repair. Then it should take about four weeks to fix on average right now.
As an aside, the dealer had a PT24/7 in stock. It was a 9mm. I didn't care for it in person. That surprised me as I liked seeing it on the Taurus website. I thought my little PT 745 was a nicer gun from a "looks" standpoint. The full size 24/7 did seem large compared to my compact model. (Duh.)
Is it normal to miss your gun after you ship it off to camp like this? Am I weird? It's not family or anything! That gun must have grown on me in  the past few weeks. Now I just gotta be patient.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a PT145 i picked up 2 weeks ago, bought 200 rounds of Win ammo and every one went without a hitch. No issues, 10 yds 3" groups.
I lucked up on this deal, PT145+ 3 mags,,,,$275 out the door
didn't look back, and have been happy ever since
Good luck with yours
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#9]
FYI on the holster.  For outside carry I use a Fobus paddle as for me it feels much more supported with the paddle.  Model #SP11B will fit the 145 without the rail

GL with the repair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top