Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2017 11:50:14 PM EDT
So I stopped to get softener salt tonight, and had to pass by the gun counter. Of course. Low and behold there sits a Taurus Raging Bull Ultra Light Titanium on clearance. I've been saving up for a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44 mag. But, I couldn't help but notice the Raging Bull on clearance for $599. That's at minimum $200 less than a well priced Alaskan. I'm not a huge fan of Taurus. But they go bang. Is $599 a decent price for a Raging Bull? Or is that just pissing money down the drain? If you have experience with that Taurus, I'd love to hear your $.02.
Thanks Attachment Attached File

Looks to be a 2" barrel or so.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Also, it's new. And has a fiber optic front sight.  I didn't bother having anyone pull it out of the case. I just took a quick look as I was strolling by.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Might be a decent revolver but why take a chance, stick to the Ruger Alaskan only get the 454 Casull one. 
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:38:32 AM EDT
[#4]
.44 magnum. My mistake. I was thinking it. Just didn't put it down.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might be a decent revolver but why take a chance, stick to the Ruger Alaskan only get the 454 Casull one. 
View Quote

I thought about it. But my right hand was injured in a rollover 13 years ago. Back side ripped off. Tendons from foot and meat and skin from elsewhere have it pretty well fixed. But my grip is sometimes a little suspect. Arthritis setting in I think. Anyhow I'm comfortable shooting.44 mag. But I'm not sure it'd be a good idea investing that much money into a .454 just to take a hit getting rid of it. Besides, for me, shooting .44 seems to be the largest caliber pistol I have fun shooting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:24:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I owned a Raging Bull in .454...it's a bruiser. I hated shooting it but it was fun to take new shooters out and let them "experience" it.
View Quote

Experience. Lol. I'd like to get a .22 Ruger to give my wife some experience.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:27:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I owned a Raging Bull in .454...it's a bruiser. I hated shooting it but it was fun to take new shooters out and let them "experience" it.
View Quote

Sounds like the 4 3/4 lb single shot 12 gauge I've got chambered for 3" Magnums.  It's fun to take it out and convince people to shoot it.  I even tell them it's the most painful gun I've ever shot, and that comes from a guy who likes shooting 50 or 100 rounds in an afternoon out of a 458 Win Mag.     It brings a whole new meaning to the word pain.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Ouch. And I suppose it has a hard butt plate. Lol
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 4 inch stainless 44 mag. I bought it used for 400. Taurus makes a decent revolver for the price point. With factory loads you will be pleased. My 44 is very reliable and shoots well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I had purchased that same gun as my hiking/camping carry piece. Was debating between the Alaskan and the Taurus. I went with the Taurus because it was cheaper and lighter, which I thought would make carrying it easier. The recoil was surprisingly stout with full power .44mag loads, which makes sense when you think about the fact that its an ultra lite with a titanium cylinder, and weighs about 27oz, which is less than a loaded Glock 19. I ended up selling it because it sucked to shoot, and I honestly didn't carry it more than once a year on a hiking trip.

Taurus for carrying a bunch, Ruger Alaskan for shooting a bunch.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top