Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2017 12:47:00 AM EDT
I have a 1980's pre decocker PT92

it dribbles spent brass out
it just does not KICK at all
the occasional brass (1 in 50 or so) gets caught in a stovepipe because of this

I replaced the extractor and spring, and the ejector looks great.  I detail cleaned the whole slide. Didn't make a difference.
it kicks out live ammo like a champ when manually cycled

I'd like to be able to trust this gun. I like everything about it but this.

it does it with WWB, federal, and my 124 gr plated handloads.
all ammo that's never been a problem with any other gun
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#1]
European 9 MM pistols are designed to function with higher pressure ammo.  The Taurus 92 is basically a locally produce Beretta 92 and are designed to handle higher pressure ammunition.  The Winchester White box has very low velocity, 115 grain FMJ at about 1050 FPS.  Military 124 FMJ will be close to 1200 FPS out of a 5" barrel.

You could get a replacement recoil spring to use with cast lightly loaded plinking ammo or lightly loaded factory ammo.   There are several weights of recoil springs for 1911's but you could clip a few coils off your old spring and keep a new recoil spring for High Velocity or defensive ammo.   As an example Winchester 115 grain JHP will produce around 1200 FPS out of a 5" barrel.  Corbon 115 grain +P JHP will produce 1300-1350 FPS out of a 5" barrel.  The 124 grain Gold Dot +P will be around 1200 FPS out of a 5" 9 MM and close to mikitary ball velocity.

Federal 123-124 grain FMJ rarely gets over 1100 FPS in a 4.75"-5" barrel and the Federal 115 grain FMJ is also around 1100 FPS.   The hollow point 9BP runs about 1150 - 1175 FPS in a 4.75"-5" barrel whereas the 9BP LE +P+ 115 grain JHP runs 1250-1300 FPS out of a 4.75"-5" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I honestly don't think it's the spring, but I ordered a light weight recoil spring just in case.
I also ordered a new ejector just in case.

I can chamber a spent brass and slam the slide back as quickly as possible and the brass barely makes it out the ejection port. that just seems off. I have guns that will kick a brass 5 feet if I slowly rack the slide.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a wise decision to get an ejector.   Hope you sort it out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I put the new ejector in and a 10# reduced recoil spring this morning and went to the range.
I tried 50 RDS of tame plated handloads and 50 rounds of 124 grain +p gold dots

the hand loads kicked out a good 5 foot (except the random few that always land on my head)
the gold dots kicked noticeably harder and landed a good 10 feet to my 4 o clock

I don't honestly think the spring was what did it, but it ran without an issue. despite the fact that they look identical, I think the new ejector fixed it.

I will keep the 10# spring in it though.
I don't think it does the action any favors while shooting +p, but since I won't average any more than a couple mags every couple years anyway, I doubt they will wear it out. the gun will likely benefit more from being tailored for tamer loads.

I need to get a holster for this, I think I feel comfortable to carry it now, but I will monitor it with a few hundred rounds of WWB in the near future. I have always carried a G17, but I shoot these pt92's and berettas so much better, plus I really like DA/SA guns as well as the aesthetics of these guns..
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the update, good to hear it running good now!
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I honestly don't think it's the spring, but I ordered a light weight recoil spring just in case.
I also ordered a new ejector just in case.

I can chamber a spent brass and slam the slide back as quickly as possible and the brass barely makes it out the ejection port. that just seems off. I have guns that will kick a brass 5 feet if I slowly rack the slide.
View Quote
The impulse from firing is much much grater than puling the slide manually , even pulling fast, it's a spring
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top