Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2016 11:32:54 AM EDT
I inherited a Tarus 92 AFS from an uncle. He's not a gun guy and got the gun from his father in law (retired LEO) when he died.

What are the best mags for it?  Can I run the Mec-Gar mags meant for Beretta 92?

I'm assuming the manufacturer date is sometime in the 80's, judging by the frame safety. Apparently sometime in late 80s/early 90's a decocking position was added above "safe".  This model has safe and fire only.

So far I really enjoy shooting the gun.  The weight makes the 9mm round pleasant and its very accurate.  A little heavy to ccw for my tastes, but the wife likes it well enough.  It may become a nightstand gun for the house.

Have others had any experience with said gun?
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#1]
You can only use Taurus mags for it. The Berettas won't fit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The very early Taurus 92's had the mag release on the heal of the grip.  There was a button which was on the left side of the lower grip where the grip was relieved for the mag release button.  In the early to mid 80's Taurus moved the mag button to the jucture of the trigger guard and grip as used on the 1911.  I think Taurus adopted the hammer drop safety configuration in the late 90's to early 2000's.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. Mag release is adjacent to trigger guard. Two position safety, (safe does not drop hammer).  That puts it somewhere between 85-99 I guess.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#4]
This should answer your question.

http://www.taurususa.com/find-model.cfm
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The very early Taurus 92's had the mag release on the heal of the grip.  There was a button which was on the left side of the lower grip where the grip was relieved for the mag release button.  In the early to mid 80's Taurus moved the mag button to the jucture of the trigger guard and grip as used on the 1911. I think Taurus adopted the hammer drop safety configuration in the late 90's to early 2000's.
View Quote

It was added in the early 90's. I bought mine circa '93 and it has the decocker.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:35:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can only use Taurus mags for it. The Berettas won't fit.
View Quote

That's only half true....

With slight modification of the catch slot on the right-hand side of the magazine....they fit perfectly.....AND the surplus (Beretta) 92 mags are CHEAP!!!

Anyone with a Dremel and a spare 5 minutes can do it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:22:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Mec-Gar makes 15, 18, and 20-round mags for the PT92/99.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:47:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Will they lock the slide back on the 80's model guns without having to modify them?
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Will they lock the slide back on the 80's model guns without having to modify them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to user reviews on a few sites (Midway, etc.), they are the only currently-manufactured magazines that will work in an older PT92/99 without modification. I don't yet have any Mec-Gars to confirm it with my own older PT92, but I will soon.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#10]
According to user reviews on a few sites (Midway, etc.), they are the only currently-manufactured magazines that will work in an older PT92/99 without modification. I don't yet have any Mec-Gars to confirm it with my own older PT92, but I will soon.
View Quote

Thanks, keep us posted.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Having access to a few cheap and worn beretta mags, i took a gamble and followed the mods described on the net to make them work in the pt92. I honestly would recommend not wasting money on any more money on Taurus mags and picking up the many surplus deals on m9 mags out there. It's so easy to make them work, and m9 mags dirt cheap and reliable
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Taurus PT 99AF (9mm) with the nickle plated slide, adjustable rear sites and shinny aluminum frame, but no decocker. I've had it for probably 15 + years. I purchased it used from a gun shop. I recently tried the Taurus web site to enter the serial # to find the age, and don't think the info was correct; it said it was a 1995 model, but mine does not have the decocker, which I read started in the early 1990s. I found another source while searching for info on the age on my PT99 and based on the first letter in the S# (L) it is a 1992 model. Again, mine does not have the decocker, and I read that feature came out in the early 1990s. So, the info about the "L" being a 1992 model may be correct; perhaps it was built just before they added the decocker. I could have called Taurus and asked, but it was not that big of a deal.  

Anyway, I wish I could be more help, but my PT99 is one of my favorite handguns and it shoots very well and is accurate.   
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top