Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2016 2:22:11 PM EDT
I have a PT111 G2, and I know the Manual says that it is unsafe for the pistol to be dry fired.   Can anyone expound on this?  What makes it unsafe?

I have snap caps, and used them, but I'd like to know what, in the pistol's mechanism, will be hurt if it is dry fired without one?

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I've looked and looked in the manual and could not find any warning about dry firing. I've dry fired my PT111 G2 many times already and it's shooting fine.

What page of the manual has this warning?
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#2]
hello there,  and thanks for your reply....    I am not at home, and cannot access my manual, right now, but i know I read that they said not to dry fire is because it can damage the pistol...     I will research and respond asap....  

keep shooting....

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#3]
hey there,    in the PT140/PT111 manual, on page 7, 3/4 of the way down,   it says dry firing can harm your firearm, even with the safety block in place.

I found it unusual, as i have been dry firing many pistols for a long time....   i'll still use snap caps but i wonder what danger this pistol my come under that is different from others....
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to know the reasoning behind this as well.....

The internals look very much like a G26......and you can dry-fire it till the ex-wife comes home...

So what's the difference?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Even Glock no longer recommends extended dry firing without a snap cap... breaking MIM parts and broken breach face are possibly but not really common.

Use snap caps and dry fire away with out worry of any possible though unlikely damage. It's when you don't use a snap cap damage is possible but still not very likely...

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, I recently purchased a Taurus PT111 G2. And, I do like it. It fits my hand well, and shoots well; so far so good.

I too read in the manual about dry-firing possibly causing damage. But the manual also does not explain that you have to dry-fire the gun, or at least pull the trigger all the say back to get the slide to come off the frame for cleaning. If you follow the directions in the manual about field disassembly, it never mentions that you have pull the trigger to actually get the slide off. I tried and tried to get the slide off by following the directions in the manual with no luck. I finally Googled it and saw some good videos on YT about how to remove the slide on the PT111 G2. You HAVE to pull the trigger after pulling the slide stop downward or it will never come off.

I like the PT111 Millennium G2, but Taurus could have done a better job on explaining how to remove the slide. As far as dry-firing, I guess they don't want you to wear out something prematurely because they have a limited life-time warranty, I guess. But you will have to pull the trigger to get the slide off, unless there is something I'm not understanding from reading the manual... 

Just my .02.   
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I know this thread is old, but on the Taurus web site in the FAQ, the only models that can't be dry fired are some of the .22 cal pistols and revolvers. My PT111 manual also states that it is not to be dry fired, so I wonder which is correct?

https://www.taurususa.com/faq-results.cfm?faqID=24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top