Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2016 7:07:08 PM EDT
I went to my lgs to pick up a Taurus wheel gun but a bi tone 709 slim caught my eye ... it's a fde body with black slide... a great deal on it as well... I bit on it as I thought I might like having a small pistol like my wife's shield to carry around. Well i took it to the range last night with my wife's shield and my other carry piece... my xd sub compact 40... to my surprise that little Taurus tore through 2 boxes of shells with no hiccups.... and it was pretty darn accurate... I shot with it almost as good as the shield.... so far very very happy with it ... no fte or ftf... smooth shooting for 200 rds worth of ammo....
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats.  I picked up a solid black one a few months ago.  Aside from it shooting a little low (easily fixed with the adjustable sites) it has shot everything I've fed it.  I probably have 3-400 reliable rounds thru it.  Heck it was only $200 so I figured what the hell.  Now finding spare mags is another story all together.  Since they only give you 1 mag - That is the only downside I have so far.

Only thing I've done to it is add Talon grips.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I was able to get my hands on a spare mag at a LE supply store in Dallas. It was a little pricy but I figure it is worth it. I am happy with this carry pistol so far. It just gives me a little bit more options than I had.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 740 Slim in my carry rotation. It's been flawless. And yeah, the magazines are rarer than hen's teeth and pricey.
If you have ham hands like me, the Pearce pinkie extensions work great.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Picked up the extension today at the trusty neighborhood gun show. 6 bucks not bad... makes a word of difference on this sweet little peice.... I found myself leaving the xd sub and the 1911 at home a little more these days... for an un reliable cheapo Brazilian made pistol...lol... I don't care what anyone says ...for 249.00 bucks it was a win ....and 250 rds later still no fte or ftf
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#5]
The Taurus pt 111 g2, 700 series slim, and TCP they just plain got right, even if some of their other models have issues.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Guns & Ammo loved the 709 Slim.  Read about it here.

I came to get more info on the 709 here after reading the above article earlier today.  Of course, if this was GD someone would be along shortly to tell us it was rigged and Taurus paid them off.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I was a member of the "never  buy Taurus club" until I read all the glowing reviews on it.

$200 shipped at Palmetto right now, bought one tonight.  Will post an update after a few hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought one for my wife to carry back when they first came out. It wouldn't make it through a full magazine without a FTF. Sent it back to Taurus, but still didn't fix the problem. Ended up selling it on and buying the wife an LCR. Glad you got a good one. It was a neat pistol and I was hoping it would've worked out. That being said I do have a 24/7 subcompact in .45acp that has been flawless.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Got one coming from Palmetto.  $199 shipped.  FIrst thing I'll be doing is removing the god-forsaken Taurus lock system from the slide.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#10]
here are some pics. FYI, those looking for a cheap OWB holster option, the Glock Sport Combat holster fits perfect, the edge does hit the slide release when inserting but you just pull the holster edge out around the lever and it seats fully and clicks in place.

Next is the Remora. You can see it is probably a size large, but it should be, I bought this for my P229 when I had it.

Then, after looking on ebay and contemplating ordering a Clinger Atom for $24 shipped (no idea on wait time though ) I remembered the good ol' MIC holster design made famous on Glocks. Knowing I had some thermo-form black plastic in the shop, I figured I'd go throw something together and see how it goes. Well after mildly burning my thumbs on the hot plastic forming the shape of the gun, I came up with this:

My plastic is a bit thick, but it is strong and clicks on with authority and requires a nice tug to get it off, the natural draw is sufficient when it is tethered to the belt. Might run this for a while as it was free and easy. Gonna polish/burnish the edges a little better tomorrow AM.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 1:07:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Will a PT111G2 fit in that Glock holster?
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#12]
It should.  I used a G26 holster when I had my 111G2
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#13]
My tcp had some feeding issues.  Sent it back.  A week later it was all better.  They replaced the extractor and test fired with different ammo.  

All free.  That is equal to Ruger's customer service!
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Father in law and brother both recently acquired these.
They will both be "carry a lot, shoot a little".
Father in law wanted an extra mag, and had no luck finding one.
Had the LGS order one for $29.

Both are very pleased with the guns for the $200 they have invested.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Sold mine yesterday without even firing it.  Broke even.  It is the EXACT same size as my P83 Wanad.  So it had to go.  IMHO, Taurus did a poor job keeping the weight down as the slide makes the gun very top heavy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#16]
A buddy and I Picked up a couple from Palmetto state armory for $200 each. we picked them up just to have as a cheap glove box gun but after getting it in my hands and reading the new reviews I couldn't be happier with my purchase at this point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top