Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2010 4:17:22 PM EDT
After recently turning 21, I am now embracing the world of CCW. Yay for me!

But I now face a dilemma, I have a holster and my M&P 9 but I have no belt. I have been recommended Rafters, The Belt man, Alessi and Milt sparks. I already a Wilderness and Ares belt, so I'm set on nylon belts for now.

I'm really looking for top of the line leather gun belts; not some mass produced leather (ie Galco, Bianchi, Comp-tac). Should the belts be double or single layer?

Thanks for any advice!
Link Posted: 5/13/2010 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I know you said no CompTac, but they are good belts. I have one with the internal stiffener. the best part is little, to no wait. try that with some of the others. I like it better than my wilderness 5 stitch belt too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2010 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Top quality, top customer service!
www.agcustomgunleather.com
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 1:22:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know you said no CompTac, but they are good belts. I have one with the internal stiffener. the best part is little, to no wait. try that with some of the others. I like it better than my wilderness 5 stitch belt too.

Congrats on the turning 21 and being able to carry thevibe!

I've got to agree with kaneroy here on the Comp-tac kydex reinforced leather belts. They are top notch and would never compare them with the Galco belts. I'm not saying there aren't other choices. But the CT belts do deserve a look IMO.

Happy carrying!
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But I now face a dilemma, I have a holster and my M&P 9 but I have no belt. I have been recommended Rafters, The Belt man, Alessi and Milt sparks. I already a Wilderness and Ares belt, so I'm set on nylon belts for now.

I'm really looking for top of the line leather gun belts; not some mass produced leather (ie Galco, Bianchi, Comp-tac). Should the belts be double or single layer?

Thanks for any advice!

the belt man.  great belts made to order and awesome service.  when i ordered mine i put a question in the comment box and he called me that day.  after talking with him i had a completely different belt at the same price that suits my needs much better.  it is tough to find service like that even if you have to wait a few weeks to get your order.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#5]
i Just picked upan aker special agent belt. has the re-enforced kydex isnert also and was only around $45.00 looks great as a gun belt and still looks damn good to wear with anything from a suit to blue jeans.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for any advice!

If you're still looking, I just got one from El Paso Saddlery.   Placed the order 4/17.   Arrived 7/8.   Plain,undecorated leather.

Doing it again....I'd buy the mass produced leather (Glaco/Bianchi) belt.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for any advice!

If you're still looking, I just got one from El Paso Saddlery.   Placed the order 4/17.   Arrived 7/8.   Plain,undecorated leather.

Any particular reason why opt for a mass produced leather?
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 2:44:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I just received my first "high quality" belt from The Belt Man. It really is a step above any other belt I have ever owned. I did not think before hand that a belt could make such a big difference when carrying, but it really does. This belt blows all my other belts away, and I thought they were thick and stiff before. Buy a quality belt now, it will last for years and it really does make a huge difference.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for any advice!

Any particular reason why opt for a mass produced leather?

Better price.   Faster delivery.   Better quality (sadly).  

It wasn't completely unreasonable.   But having seen the competition and what I got ..... I got no benefit from the craftsman belt.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The belt question comes up a lot. One source for good belts is a western/cowboy clothing store. That's were I've found my best ones and you get to handle them before buying. When handling it'll become apparent very quickly which ones deserve the label of "quality".
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Try a kydex lined leather belt from Looper Leather.  Bladetech is carrying them under their name also.  I've been wearing one for 5 years.  Best belt I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:58:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd go with The Belt Man. Great belts, great service.
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Any particular reason why opt for a mass produced leather?[/quote]

they really arent bad-  i just bought another Bianchi B9 from optics planet, for like 52dollars.  

its double leather, with suede lining- very heavy duty, and stylish.

it replaces the one i bought back in 1999- i hate to say it, but the only reason i replaced it is because i lost weight!  

-you wont be dissapointed with the higher end belts that are production.  Galco is nice too, but twice the price.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Content with Galco.  I wear the 1 1/2" dress belts with the square nickel buckle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Content with Galco.  I wear the 1 1/2" dress belts with the square nickel buckle.

Yep, thats what I just got. Is there any kydex in the belt? Seems like it will last forever
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, thats what I just got. Is there any kydex in the belt? Seems like it will last forever

Glancing at it (I wear one at work as well) it appears to be 2 layers of leather.  The first one I bought has been worn daily for about 6 months now and the natural curve leather belts get is barely noticeable compared to the curve in my Rusty Sherrick gunbelt.  The surface of the belt is getting rough, but that is from sliding a Raven Concealment Ghost on and off the belt every time I change pants.  Overall I wish I had never spent the money on my other belts, the Galco belts are perfect.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Comp-Tac belt is a very fine belt. I bought the CT belt for me and another belt for my son. Both belts are for daily wear. His belt (a gun belt) is toast.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#18]
crossbreed makes a nice belt
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I was looking at the crossbreed belt.  Is it just as good as the belts from the belt man?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have one as well. I like it and some of their older holsters.

I also have a couple belts from Sam Andrews at Andrews custom leather.
A couple of his IWB holsters as well. Excellent workmanship and design.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 3:59:54 AM EDT
[#21]
la police gear . com

5.11 belts on clearence for $3.99 if they have your size.
I ordered 2 of them 2 months ago when they were $14.99 and just picked up another one.

They are great for the $$$$
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been wearing a Milt Sparks double thick leather belt for over 10 years. It's survived EDC and 4 deployments. Look into a high quality double thick leather belt. The $60-$90 price tag is well worth it. My father has been wearing his Milt Sparks belt for almost 25 years. Looks hardly worn at all.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 4:21:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Comp-tac 1 1/2" Kydex Reinforced Contour Belt.

You can comfortably carry any damned handgun you want all day long off of one of those; no matter how heavy.

Team it up with a horsehide Crossbred Supertuck Deluxe and you'll have the most comfortable rig known to man.

What I particularly like about that combo is that I don't have to tighten my belt to the point of discomfort while carrying my full size M&P .40 all day, every day.

In fact; I wear my belt fairly loosely and everything stays stable as well as invisible under nothing more than a single tee shirt.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#24]
I currently use a Belt Man belt with stiffener and have been very happy with it.  I conceal at work wearing a business suit, so the 1.5 inch is a little wide and thick for suit pants, but it does work.  I'm currently losing quite a bit of weight and require it to be shortened.  In preparation for sending it back, I currently have on order a smaller belt from Lobo Gunleather with the intention of it becoming my dress belt for work, and then using the shortened Belt Man belt as my dress-down/Khaki's belt.  Ray has been very accommodating and is attempting to put a custom touch in my belt.  I requested a slot on the inside that I could carry and conceal a Flex Cuff.  The belt will be a tapered belt to be more functional with a suit.  I should be getting it in a week or so I would imagine.  I will post photos after I get it if you are interested in seeing it.

This is an excerpt from an email from Ray at Lobo about is prices and such.  Since I don't have the belt yet, I can't really comment on it yet, but Ray has a very long history of concealed carry experience, LEO experience, and leatherwork experience.  He is very knowledgeable and his products have an excellent reputation.

Thanks for your interest.

My standard belt design is 1.5" width around the body tapered to 1" at the front for improved comfort. I make these three ways:

B4 Belt is single-layer of 9-10 oz. cowhide. Base price is $34.95.

B8 Belt is like the B4 model but with the body area lined with 4-oz. leather for heavier applications. Base price is $49.95.

B12 Belt is like the B4 model but the the body area lined with 7-8 oz. leather for the heaviest applications. Base price is $54.95.

Basketweave tooling can be added for $15.00. I have also done this style with a fancy stitching pattern, which adds $20.00.

Buckles are interchangeable, so any 1" buckle can be used.

I ask each belt customer to measure a belt now in use, from the tip of the buckle to the tongue hole in use. This is frequently different than trouser waist size. If the belt is to be used with IWB-style holster I recommend adding 2" to total length.

Production time is estimated at about 4 weeks. Prices include delivery to a US address.

Glad to hear from you anytime.

Ray
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:23:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been wearing one of these for five years,it is still very stiff, and a good value.
I do not see how it could get much better unless you have to have some exotic skin or color not offered with this belt.
http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=84&zenid=fe84sookpelft9un5ibg09fc11
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't be to quick to discount Galco.  I have theirs and a Milt Sparks, they're comparable.  Note you won't be able to use a 1.5" Milt Sparks holster on most other brands of belts.  My Milt Sparks 1.5" is super tight on the Galco belt.  Having said all that, why look further than Milt Sparks?  There could be a wait, but check with them, they have a lot of items in stock for immediate delivery.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I like the Model 99 velcro/leather belt from Safariland.
I got mine from Galls,a police supply outfit for $34.
The belt was in stock and received in 3 days.
The belt is infinitely adjustable and the velco lasts about 5-6 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top