Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 8:17:47 PM EDT
Help me choose a light for my new XD 45. How much light is really needed? Will 80 lumens do, or is 120 better? As I understand light, 120 lumens will blind someone (at least temporarily). I want a light that can be attached and detached without tools (ideally). When you have a light on your handgun can you see your sights? I'm not sure I asked the question properly, I've never had a light on a handgun. And finally, is a laser worthwhile? If you have a bright light, say 120 lumens can you see the laser (the dot anyway).

Sorry for all the question...How many others are in my situation?  

Thanks  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Streamlight TLR-1. It's 80 lumens and that's enough for me. I tested it on my brother in the other night and he couldn't see for a more than a minute. I'd go for the TLR series. 2.5 hours of run time compared to the lesser running time of other lights and it's got an aluminum housing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey thanks, I am not familiar with TLR but I'll look into it
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:33:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the Surefire X200. It is very bright and if you want longer range (smaller spot) get the X200A, for a wider spot and shorter range the X200B is better.
I haven't tried a Laser yet..
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I have M3 lights on my guns.  There are also M3X which is supposed to be even brighter.  They slide on & off the rails w/out tools.  The M3 isn't very expensive either.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
A green laser you won't have any trouble seeing with or without the light. The red laser you won't see shit with the light on. By the way green lasers i've read are from 10 to 1000 times brighter. You can see them all the was throught the air not just the dot like on a red laser. So it will give away your position but give you a great advantage in leading a moving target.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:45:36 AM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]
im lookin for a light my self.  any good places online to recommend
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
im lookin for a light my self.  any good places online to recommend

I have had good luck with Donnie @ Big River Tactical

Here is a link to the TLR-1 light for $98.

TLR-1 light
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top