Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/19/2006 10:36:25 AM EDT
Looking at getting a drop leg holster, but the choices are a many. I like the Specter Gear holster, but then I see folks on this board push the Safariland 6004 holsters. So what does the Safariland offer over the condura holster as far as the field is concerned? Is there a mechanism to break/go bad in the field on the Safariland? Include the new Blackhawk Serpa rig in that assessment too. Could mud or dirt affect operation? Splain it to me please.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:36:09 PM EDT
I prefer the 6004 holster for ease of re-holstering the weapon. I have used a cloth type holster during tactical entries and have had issues with the holster collapsing because of the design of the leg strap. This can make re-holstering a weapon nearly impossible with one hand. If holstering your weapon is not a pressing concern, perhaps the fabric model holsters are adequate, but in my case I need to be able to rapidly holster my weapon to possibly go hands on with a suspect.

Another advantage to the 6004 is since the retention strap is a rotating hood, there is no strap to have to snap.

Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:29:59 PM EDT
The Serpa holster can very easily become clogged with debris, negating the locking feature. For field use, I prefer the 6004, but a UM84 Bianchi works well also if you don't mind flaps.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:23:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:21:10 PM EDT
I have a TT modular holster. (Cloth)

It has a heavy material built into it, so that it maintains it's shape when the pistol is not in the holster. The backstrap is a thick plastic piece, so it also stays out of the way. Reholstering it one handed is not a problem at all.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:36:44 PM EDT
I see where Blackhawk puts "plastic inserts" into their holsters. What are these for? Also, can someone answer the Safariland in mud/dirt comment? I do like the Safariland for the reasons mentioned above, but I would like to get some real world info about usage in harsh terrain/conditions.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:41:00 PM EDT
There are only two worth considering, in my experience. The Safariland 6004, and if you don't mind spending the money, the G-Code. Nylon holsters offer NO retention. Been there, seen that.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:18:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By modog:
There are only two worth considering, in my experience. The Safariland 6004, and if you don't mind spending the money, the G-Code. Nylon holsters offer NO retention. Been there, seen that.

I have a G-Code for my XD-40/45ACP and saw the REAC for it. But the only holster they made that offered a better level of retention was the SOC which they scuddled. I like the Safariland and HSLD combo - looks really promising but mighty expensive.

How do the mag pouches attach to the Safariland?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:54:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 8:56:34 AM EDT by lithgow303]
Check out the High Speed Gear UDHP. It allows for the attachment of a 6004 or 6280 holster in the HSGI drop leg platform. Its comfortable to wear, rides well and has several attachment points for malice clips.

I got a good price on my 6280 from www.swatgear.com and got the UDHP at a gun show for much less than HSGI sells them for directly from a place called the Malabar Front.

So far its working great for me, I'll snag some pics at some point if anyone is interested.

Top Top