BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 3:18:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You'd adjust your sights while it's still holstered?   I just ordered my 508t a few days ago and it hasn't even arrived yet so I'll admit to being a complete newb to MRDS but that doesn't seem like a necessity.  If I have to draw in a hurry, I dont have time to play with buttons (in holster or not) and if I have time to hit buttons, whats it matter if the guns holstered vs in hand?  In fact, wouldn't it be better to set it with the gun out so you can see what the dot/circle are doing and how the brightness applies to the actual lighting situation?
View Quote
To answer your question in short - yes I do.  Longer answer - it depends on whether you are comfortable with the auto adjust settings (i'm generally not impressed).

Having the awareness to know where your dot is part of knowing your gear.  Being indoors and outdoors equates to different brightnesses.  When it's light, vs when it's dark - unless you have a very reliable auto adjusting setting, you'll have to manage your dot.  I have my gun on me in all sorts of conditions and different times of the day or night.  It's just a matter of knowing whether to adjust up or down when I walk into a building, or out to my car at night, etc etc.  Dot management falls under your situational awareness.

I handle the adjustments very simply - reach down and feel for the click through my garment, or subtly reach under it while it's still holstered.  The 507 is easy to do in this regard, since the clicks are tactile and they're on the left side of the optic (for a lefty appendix carrying that points outwards).  When I'm in brighter conditions the dot is 2 clicks up.  When I'm indoors or it's gotten dark, it's 2 clicks down.  For a RMR, the clicks are on the sides of the optic.  1 click up or down depending on conditions with that.  However, I've gotten accustomed to living with the RMR's 1-click too bright since I'd rather have too bright dot than too dim, so I run auto with mine most the time.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anybody?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a question about buying a Safariland holster for a Glock pistol with a Holosun 507 or 508. When specifying what pistol, light, optic, etc. there is no option for the Holosun as Safariland apparently does not support it yet. That being the case has anyone bought a Safariland holster, but selected a different optic (Trijicon RMR, Leupold DPP, etc.)? If so, what did you select and did it work OK with the Holosun?

My pistol setup is a Glock 17 gen 5 milled for the Holosun 507/508 with a Surefire X300U. It also appears you have to select the MOS version of the pistol because if you don't Safariland's system won't allow you to select an optic at all.
Anybody?
I've been in contact with Safariland and Holosun. Holosun insists Safariland holsters work with their optics but Safariland doesn't make any promises. I currently have a Safariland holster on order and will update when I receive it. FYI I selected the DPP as the optic option as that's what someone told me to choose
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I ordered a 6390RDS for my G17.   It fits my Holosun perfectly, no issues at all.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Use a Duracell for any slide mounted application.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had some issues with my 508T yesterday. It started dimming and at one point I couldn’t change reticles or adjust the brightness. On one mag the dot disappeared for one shot and came back. I replaced the battery and it seems to be working. Round count is 950 on an FN 509 Tactical.
Use a Duracell for any slide mounted application.
Installed a new Duracell battery. I only shot 100 rounds but didn’t have any problems.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#5]
My 507c just got here today from Optics Planet.  Will mount it on my M&P Pro with an Outerimpact dovetail mount.  Anyone have any luck finding a cover for it?  From the reviews, doesn't sound like the hard or soft Trijicon covers work.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My 507c just got here today from Optics Planet.  Will mount it on my M&P Pro with an Outerimpact dovetail mount.  Anyone have any luck finding a cover for it?  From the reviews, doesn't sound like the hard or soft Trijicon covers work.
View Quote
Scopecoat Trijicon RMR Scope Cover sort of fits, its neoprene.
It's not ideal, but it's the only thing I found.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone seen this? A new gen 507c?

Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:47:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Another pic. Looks like it has a battery compartment on the side instead of on the bottom. I’ll be getting one.

Link Posted: 1/15/2020 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
Hoping it’s been working even though it isn’t mounted all the way down

Can see some light under the rear of the optic there lol. I like the sound of the v2 though. Didn’t really have any complaints with the v1 though tbh.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Ya I noticed that too lol.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 5:50:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hoping it’s been working even though it isn’t mounted all the way down

Can see some light under the rear of the optic there lol. I like the sound of the v2 though. Didn’t really have any complaints with the v1 though tbh.
View Quote
Fisher said he had been swapping optics on pistols when he snagged the photo.   Think they’ve been in the hands of testers for about 6-7 months

And the battery is loaded via a tray on the right side
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah I'm pretty stoked for this one.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm pretty stoked for this one.
View Quote
MSRP of $500

I mean I know it's a Holosun so street will be far less but still, WOW
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:54:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Looking for my first handgun red dot, taking the plunge once I figure out what I want.  So far it's between the 508T and RM06.  Something gives me pause about spending $350 on a China-made dot from a company that's only been around since 2013ish...but I really like the features.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I should also state that my "wow" above was just surprise that Holosun can realistically command these prices these days.  Im not gonna hesitate to drop that for one.

Chinesium is really coming up in the world
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:21:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if the $200 507c V1 models are indicative of the V2 models replacing them soon.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wonder if the $200 507c V1 models are indicative of the V2 models replacing them soon.
View Quote
I think so, since the v2's battery tray will obsolete the v1 overnight...and I doubt they'd put the v1s on sale if they didn't have the v2 in the shipping chain already, for replenishment.

I might buy one just because its almost too cheap not to

Edit - I mean it's less expensive than a Burris Fastfire III right now...and with Brownell's today-only %10 off code, it's (in my state, with tax and free shipping) $224 or so. Even if it's obsolescent...it's no different battery changing wise than an RMR...so you swap it out once a year or so and re-zero, big deal...
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think so, since the v2's battery tray will obsolete the v1 overnight...and I doubt they'd put the v1s on sale if they didn't have the v2 in the shipping chain already, for replenishment.

Edit - I mean it's less expensive than a Burris Fastfire III right now...and with Brownell's today-only %10 off code, it's (in my state, with tax and free shipping) $224 or so. Even if it's obsolescent...it's no different battery changing wise than an RMR...so you swap it out once a year or so and re-zero, big deal...
View Quote
I just bought one of the blowout 507C V1s for my Ruger MkIV 22/45 tactical. Since it’s just a fun gun/suppressor host...having to pull the optic to replace the battery isn’t a big deal.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:58:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Fuggg. I need a 507C V2. Glad I checked here first, because I almost ordered a Gen 1.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I know they are not using a 2032 battery with the new pull out tray version. What battery is it?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#22]
1632 I think (so it’s either thinner or smaller circumference wise, don’t remember which )
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I love Brownells, but that percent is almost every other day at their shop.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
1632 I think (so it’s either thinner or smaller circumference wise, don’t remember which )
View Quote
You are correct - they are now using 1632s.

http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/coin-cell-battery-cross-reference
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I love Brownells, but that percent is almost every other day at their shop.
View Quote
Probably, I just happened to see their email about it about 5 minutes before I posted
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:17:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Anyone have a firm date for when the 508T V2 actually will be released? I found a company that is actually local to me and they have it listed on their site to backorder it but I don't want to backorder something I'll be waiting six months for.

https://www.kenziesoptics.com/product/holosun-508t-v2-red-dot-sight/

I want to mount this on my P320 X-Carry using the Bobro mounting plate. I assume this V2 version still uses the Trijicon RMR footprint?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anyone have a firm date for when the 508T V2 actually will be released? I found a company that is actually local to me and they have it listed on their site to backorder it but I don't want to backorder something I'll be waiting six months for.

https://www.kenziesoptics.com/product/holosun-508t-v2-red-dot-sight/

I want to mount this on my P320 X-Carry using the Bobro mounting plate. I assume this V2 version still uses the Trijicon RMR footprint?
View Quote
From what I’ve gleaned, the 507c and 508t both get updates to v2, with the side mounted battery. Footprint stays the same, and their supposed release is spring/summer? Please don’t quote me on that though.

Personally I’m probably going for a v1 507c or 508t; the 2032 wil undoubtedly last longer and jury is still out on if the side loading tray will be as robust as the current battery mount. The once a year or so battery replacement / rezero doesn’t bother me enough to want to switch to a smaller and more frequently replaced battery, even if it is easier to replace.

Honestly, at the rate of 2032 battery replacement, the sight will be 2+ generations out of date before it needs its 2nd battery replacement anyway, so why worry about it when there’s a decent chance you’ll be replacing the whole thing anyway
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm assuming the 508T will go on sale eventually when the v2 is on the horizon.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to wait that long!
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#29]
You and me both
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I was gonna wait for a 507C V2, but got a V1 from PSA for $209.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Sigh, I couldn't wait...I had the money so I sprung for the 508T. Hopefully this weekend I can sight it in. Well, assuming I have some decent screws laying around that will work...always a questionmark. Hopefully this turns out better than my Burris Fast Fire 3 tryout, which ended in abject failure (I'm pretty sure the sight wouldn't hold a zero to save it's life on the G34 I had it mounted on)
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:34:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m thinking about selling my RMR for a 508T v2 or 509T
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:07:21 AM EDT
[#33]
RMR version 1 or 2? Version 1, I probably would...version 2, nah, that version of RMR is still the standard that others compare to.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I got my 508t v1 today, and just in general acclimation to it I really, really like it. It took a few minutes to figure out it was auto-light/dim by default, and it's really...not good. (On a sunny day in winter, looking out the window at a snow-covered field...the recticle would not get bright enough to see it unless you were going out of your way to notice it. It's nothing you would have seen by accident, you really have to look for it in those conditions).

Hitting the + button for 5 seconds put it into manual mode. It's got 12 settings, I'm currently running it on 9 or 10. It's bright enough to see when aiming at the snow from a darker room (and even from a brighter room). I'll see how it looks as it gets darker out. I'm probably going to be leaving it at 9 or 10 as it's default though.

The circle/dot looks like it'll be a good way to "learn" the sight and then moving to just the dot later. My circle hash marks are a little crooked, a few degrees twisted off TDC, but it seems like that's normal looking at other forums and it doesn't really bother me.

The screws that come with it for mounting (the shorter ones) actually work with the factory MOS plate BUT - the screws are a tiny, tiny bit too long (at least on mine). They are a little proud of the bottom when the sight is screwed/torqued down to 15in/lb. I put the screws in a vise and filed them down until they were no longer proud of the bottom of the MOS plate. Not much had to come off. If you're wondering why, if they're proud of the MOS plate they'll tweak/slightly bend up the MOS plate when they stick out...which puts unneeded stress on the screws that hold the MOS plate to the gun, which can lead to them shearing off/failing and causing all kinds of fun and unnecessary problems with maintaining zero, etc. Test fit the optic to the plate before screwing the plate to the gun to verify this for your specific setup first.

Why 15 in/lb? Collecting data from teh intarwebs tells me most people who are serious about this sort of thing seem to torque their screws to somewhere between 12 and 15 in/lb, both for attaching the plate (if there is one) to the gun and then the sight to the plate or gun. This is easy to do when you use a Fix-It Stick to do the work. You can order them direct from that link or from Amazon. Brownells even sells them

I can't wait to get this to the range and try it out. My last red dot on a pistol experiment was a total shit show between a Burris Fast Fire III, all kinds of wrong screws and wobbly stuff with a MOS G34, and the gun itself wasn't particularly impressive when shooting for groups on a rest with or without a dot. All the way around, that experience just sort of left a bad taste in my mouth. This one, I'm hoping to be a thousand times better.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Question for you guys that are running 2moa Holosun's and have larger dots as well...
I put a 4moa auto adjusted intensity 4moa on my 365 XL and I'm sold, BIG TIME
and was considering picking up a 507C (the price is pretty right) and having my P10C milled
but I dont think I want to go much smaller on the dot, do you think the difference would
be very noticeable ?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Just got a 507C V2 as replacement for the 507C V1 that I had to send in for warranty.  My V1, for lack of a better term, lost its - button.  I didn't open up the sight but I think it disconnected internally.  Couldn't change reticle, turn the sight off, or adjust brightness without it.

The V2's battery tray being on the side is definitely an improvement.  It is indeed using a CR1632 battery instead of the CR2032.  +/- are on the left side and much bigger now that the logo is only on the right side of the sight.  It comes with a different tool with a small double-sided screwdriver for the battery tray and torx screws (no more spanner necessary!). Everything else seems the same.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just got a 507C V2 as replacement for the 507C V1 that I had to send in for warranty.  My V1, for lack of a better term, lost its - button.  I didn't open up the sight but I think it disconnected internally.  Couldn't change reticle, turn the sight off, or adjust brightness without it.

The V2's battery tray being on the side is definitely an improvement.  It is indeed using a CR1632 battery instead of the CR2032.  +/- are on the left side and much bigger now that the logo is only on the right side of the sight.  It comes with a different tool with a small double-sided screwdriver for the battery tray and torx screws (no more spanner necessary!). Everything else seems the same.
View Quote
That's awesome they replaced your old one with a V2. I have a really early 507c that's been kind of recoil sensitive (dot flickers off/on) despite what brand battery I use so I've only been using it on a 22 lately. Maybe I should see if they'll swap it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#38]
So after seeing all the new offerings, would it be safe to say Holosun is running the show on innovating and getting new optics to market?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So after seeing all the new offerings, would it be safe to say Holosun is running the show on innovating and getting new optics to market?
View Quote
I think others are jumping on the sleep and shake awake technology. Not sure about glass quality, but I believe most manufacturers have access to the same lens and LED makers. I believe Holosun has patented the solar panel technology so others aren't going to be able to use it.  Swamp Fox is a fairly new brand that seems to be coming along pretty good with quality.  They're also trying to break into the LEO market which means a higher standard of durability.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
As of 2020, and in regards to pistol optics - I would say yes.  For a newer name, they've put a priority to durability, features and price into an attractive package.  They've introduced offerings in relatively unknown markets, closed optic (509) and the compact optic (507k).  If you think about it, the 507c sized market has a number of existing offerings.  Besides, it's quite hard to dethrone the RMR.  THey came out with arguably the 2nd best offering in that space.  Then where only the ACRO and RMS shield exist, they came out with arguably the best offering in those spaces.  The ACRO was a good idea, but the battery life left it unviable.  The Shield RMS is a fragile with questionable reliability.

Very happy to see Holosun making waves.  I'm likely in for a 509 down the road.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
For pistol optics yup
Crushing aimpoint and Trijicon I can’t believe Trijicon hasn’t released a closed emitter pistol optic.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Anybody seeing any deals on the new V2 507s? Need to grab a couple.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
U just missed 10% off OpticsPlanet wait for another 10-15% off sale and jump on that
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
U just missed 10% off OpticsPlanet wait for another 10-15% off sale and jump on that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea. Didn’t see the end date when I was looking around for the best price and have had hit/miss with OP shipping. Ended up stopping at Midway and got my “birthday pricing” and 10% off. $295 to my door. Can’t complain.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

For pistol optics yup
Crushing aimpoint and Trijicon I can't believe Trijicon hasn't released a closed emitter pistol optic.
View Quote
Closed emitter is not necessary most of the time.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#46]
For those that have the original 507 V1 and the HE507 (green optic), who's waiting for the new version (509?) to come out, compared to getting deals on the current one?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#47]
If you carry a 407 / 507C, what brightness setting
do you leave it on for edc use?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you carry a 407 / 507C, what brightness setting
do you leave it on for edc use?
View Quote
I keep mine on 10. Bright days in NH with the snow it is easy to lose the dot on a lower setting. Some might say it is too high, but I would rather have it too high and not worry about it than too low
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I keep mine on 10. Bright days in NH with the snow it is easy to lose the dot on a lower setting. Some might say it is too high, but I would rather have it too high and not worry about it than too low
View Quote
Yup, that's roughly around where mine is I think. All you need to do is look out a window at the snow in the noonday sun and try to find a dot in it.

Nothing wrong with adjusting it down when it gets dark out, either...these things are adjustable so there's no need to put it at one number and then leave it there 24/7 if you don't want to.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I've been in contact with Safariland and Holosun. Holosun insists Safariland holsters work with their optics but Safariland doesn't make any promises. I currently have a Safariland holster on order and will update when I receive it. FYI I selected the DPP as the optic option as that's what someone told me to choose
View Quote
Two updates to make here.

1. Regarding the Safariland holster, I did receive a 6378RDS and it does work well with the Holosun. It works so well IMO it's hard to believe that holster wasn't designed around the Holosun 507/508.

2. I ended up sending the HE508T from my Beretta 1301 Tactical in to Holosun because the reticle was canted a few degrees counterclockwise. I contacted them yesterday to check the status. They advised it had been inspected and found to be defective. However, the 508 is no longer made and they are going to replace it with the new HE508T V2. The only catch is that the new model won't be in stock until the end of the month so I'm going to have to wait a few weeks to get it.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top