Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2017 1:20:23 PM EDT
I have a couple of older utility-grade hand guns with faded fixed sights. I'd like to restore these sights with some new paint and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the products that are out there? I've seen some advertised that claim to carry some level of light absorption / glow in the dark capability but haven't sampled them to this point.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have always used bright nail Polish or Testors model paint.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
There is front sight paint out there but I haven't been very impressed with it.  Normal model paint works about as well as anything and is cheap.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a couple of older utility-grade hand guns with faded fixed sights. I'd like to restore these sights with some new paint and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the products that are out there? I've seen some advertised that claim to carry some level of light absorption / glow in the dark capability but haven't sampled them to this point.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Try some of that super-illume that watch makers use on watch dials.. it's a two part finish system.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting feedback. Thanks all!
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used brightly colored fingernail polish and a fine tip brush or even toothpick.

Prep the sight(s) with rubbing alcohol to remove any oils.

If you need to remove the fingernail polish due to imperfections with your paint job or a color change use *non-acetone* remover.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have used brightly colored fingernail polish and a fine tip brush or even toothpick.

Prep the sight(s) with rubbing alcohol to remove any oils.

If you need to remove the fingernail polish due to imperfections with your paint job or a color change use *non-acetone* remover.
View Quote
Thx!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I you are looking for something like a bright red or orange front sight, I've found it works better to paint the front sight white first, then let it dry thoroughly and then apply the red or orange paint on top of the white.   It makes the red or orange paint look much brighter.

Testers model points work fine, and you can choose between flat or gloss paint.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top