Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2017 1:13:24 PM EDT
I am currently overseas and would like to get my son's mother a biometric handgun safe.  Are there any options out there you guys recommend?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I recently picked up a sentry biometric safe. It fits one large handgun and is very easy to set up and use. It was about $125 on Amazon. 
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:22:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Did some internet research, like forums, Amazon customer reviews, etc., (always plenty of contradictory or troubling results - hard to validate some of the factors/reviews) and went to a local safe store.  They tend to recommend American made products as long term service/support is sketchy on some popular brands.  So I guess I would look at the Liberty brand.  The store had several brands on hand. They were pretty strong on recommending the all mechanical types using a Simplex mechanical lock.  Some are much heavier in build, steel thicknesses, etc. but competitive to biometrics in price.

But I didn't get one.  I guess the vulnerability/reliability of some of the "electronic" systems was unimpressive/worrisome and the price jump to the heavier/stronger mechanicals was making me think more about the whole category.  I think the vulnerabilities is less an issue if dealing with younger kids but could be problem if dealing with more sophisticated sorts of threats.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as biometric handgun safes go, Liberty handgun safes are by far the best, they are by far the most reliable. Personally I would get this one: Liberty Bio

But in general, Biometrics are the least effective when it comes to handgun safes as you never know exactly what your finger will be like, ex. sweaty, dirty, oily, lotion, etc. If it doesn't work when you need it, what's the point right.

Personally I prefer Simplex lock mechanical handgun safes, they have no batteries, no electronics, nothing that can fail, just a simple, old school mechanical lock. Personally, I bought the Stealth heavy duty handgun safe but they also came out with a cheaper model that looks pretty good to.

Heavy Duty: Stealth Heavy Duty

Cheaper version: Light Duty

Let me know if you have more questions,

Matt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top