Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 4:56:56 PM EDT
Maybe an odd question but here goes:

I have a condition that causes my bladder to hurt when pressure is applied.

When I carry a holster at the traditional 3-5 O'clock position I have to tighten my belt so much that it applies pressure, hence pain to my bladder.

Question: Do you think an AIWB holster would minimize pressure at all or do you think it would apply even more pressure to my bladder?

I know a weapon is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable, but I am hoping to find a way to carry that reduces the pain some.

Thanks Guys.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#1]
A good stiff belt shouldn't require you to tighten it so much.  Have you been using a very stiff riggers type belt?  Seems to me that appendix carry may make your problem worse.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of carry gun and holster do you use now?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A good stiff belt shouldn't require you to tighten it so much.  Have you been using a very stiff riggers type belt?  Seems to me that appendix carry may make your problem worse.
View Quote

Usually wear a Wilderness Instructors 5 stitch belt. I may just have to suck up the pain. Cause I'm sure not going to stop carrying.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What kind of carry gun and holster do you use now?
View Quote

Carry a Glock 27 in .357 or a G19.
OWB holsters are usually Raven Concealment Kydex.
IWB are usually CompTac MTac or SuperTuck/Alienware type.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Your using good gear so im not sure what to say. Appendix carry IMO might make it worse but it might not hurt to try it out.

The other thing would be to try a smaller single stack gun like a glock 43 or kahr cm9. The slimmer profile and lighter weight would help with having to keep your belt so tight
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#6]
A Sticky or Remora type holster would let you try it long enough to find out if it was a painful carry position, at small cost in case it won't work for you.
And either way, you might find different use(s) for the Sticky/Remora, I did.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A Sticky or Remora type holster would let you try it long enough to find out if it was a painful carry position, at small cost in case it won't work for you.
View Quote

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will give that a try to see if it works.
I carry a backup LCP in a Desantis pocket holster and that has been comfortable. However, I don't want to have that as my primary weapon.
I will just have to do some experimenting.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Your using good gear so im not sure what to say. Appendix carry IMO might make it worse but it might not hurt to try it out.

The other thing would be to try a smaller single stack gun like a glock 43 or kahr cm9. The slimmer profile and lighter weight would help with having to keep your belt so tight
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback. I think I have a CW9 and a Shield sitting in the safe I could try.
I might need to make some capacity sacrifices to accommodate this old body of mine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will give that a try to see if it works.
I carry a backup LCP in a Desantis pocket holster and that has been comfortable. However, I don't want to have that as my primary weapon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was pretty leery of them but at the price, not much to lose. My Sticky ended up being used for all kinds of things. Between the truck seat and console, for inside the console, as a pocket holster in a vest, as a stick in the waistband for short trips outside, lately I've had a bobcat, some javelina and a bunch of coyotes hanging around close to the house so when the dog winds up I usually go out with a shotgun, and can real quick stash a sticky/handgun anywhere in the waistband, appendix or at 3-4, it's been pretty handy for me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was pretty leery of them but at the price, not much to lose. My Sticky ended up being used for all kinds of things. Between the truck seat and console, for inside the console, as a pocket holster in a vest, as a stick in the waistband for short trips outside, lately I've had a bobcat, some javelina and a bunch of coyotes hanging around close to the house so when the dog winds up I usually go out with a shotgun, and can real quick stash a sticky/handgun anywhere in the waistband, appendix or at 3-4, it's been pretty handy for me.
View Quote

Great ideas. I think I will get one to try out. Price is certainly not prohibitive.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep the lcp in the pocket and put the glock 27 in a good quality ankle holster much faster and effective than given credit for(if the shooter is willing to commit to a ton of draw stroke practice) I carry a j frame on my ankle in pocket or belt holster depending on the situation
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Honestly it depends on how you are built, and your proportions. I carry appendix exclusively because its the only position that I can easily conceal a firearm, and for me it is comfortable.

For your case, the part that would help is that with an appendix holster with some sort of "claw" or tucking device you don't have to tighten your belt as much because the holster pushes against your belt to help conceal. I am able to wear my belt relatively loose compared to some others, and there is no pinching around the waist or "hot spots" to speak of.

Trying the sticky holster in the appendix position is a good call, it will let you feel it out. For comfort I suggest most people try carrying closer to 12 oclock than 1 or 2, it keeps the muzzle from digging into your leg.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Honestly it depends on how you are built, and your proportions. I carry appendix exclusively because its the only position that I can easily conceal a firearm, and for me it is comfortable.

For your case, the part that would help is that with an appendix holster with some sort of "claw" or tucking device you don't have to tighten your belt as much because the holster pushes against your belt to help conceal. I am able to wear my belt relatively loose compared to some others, and there is no pinching around the waist or "hot spots" to speak of.

Trying the sticky holster in the appendix position is a good call, it will let you feel it out. For comfort I suggest most people try carrying closer to 12 oclock than 1 or 2, it keeps the muzzle from digging into your leg.
View Quote

Great info. Thanks for the feedback. Feeling positive about the potential of AIWB carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top