Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2017 12:21:46 AM EDT
Hey everyone, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone had any experience or suggestions about putting an rmr on my carry gun, a G19. Looking to see if it's worth it and what the potential pros and cons are to putting a red dot on a carry gun. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 1:08:34 AM EDT
[#1]
For most common types of defensive encounters it is not needed.  For longer distances, more precise shots or older eyes, they are wonderful.  But WARNING,  quality control of Trijicon RMRs varies tremendously.  I've had some go back to the factory more than once and Trijicon reps admitted that they use lower quality parts than in years previously.  If you get a good one, you're lucky.  If it is far too bright so you can't even see the target through it or way to slow to respond to changing conditions, then that is just too bad.  You might very get one which is ok for target or practice but not consistent enough for defensive use.

Your eyes/head need to be positioned more precisely to use the RMR than with iron sights so it takes a little while to get used to it.  HINT.  Don't look for the dot, that will be very slow, just go for the irons as usual and the dot will appear.  With practice though, it will become faster than the iron sights, and more precise.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for heads up I will definitely take this into consideration.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I resisted the idea for years.  I finally had an RMR installed on my P09.  That convinced me to have my P07 done as well.  Both those guns have the dual illuminated RMRs on them.  If you go that route, don't get the green dot, it if very dim/difficult to see if you are in an area with less light than the target.  The amber dot works fine, for me, in those situations.

After almost a year of carrying/shooting the CZ with RMRs on them I bought a Delta Point Pro and had it installed a CZ 75 Compact for my wife.  She's loving it, so far.  We've not had it on there or used it enough to compare it to the RMRs though.

Why do I now prefer the dot sight on my handguns now?

1.  Old eyes.  Can't see the front sight these days without my glasses.  Without my glasses the dot is fuzzy, but visible (I can still see the target just fine).
2.  Sight works just fine under low light conditions (can't always guarantee having a working light to highlight the sights against a target).
3.  If the dot is on the target the bullet hits the target (with iron sights you have to line the front sight up with the rear sight and keep them lined up as you put the front sight on the target - with the dot you put the dot on the target and squeeze.  The dot doesn't even have to be in the center of the lens.  I tried it, it works).

I do have BUIS on the pistols with red dots.  Stuff fails, even the dual illuminated RMRs can fail (mine haven't but things do fail).

The dot won't make the pistol anymore accurate than it already is but the dot will help you shoot it better.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't.  IMHO they add bulk, expense, and complexity to a tool designed for rapid emergency use in a life or death situation.  I like them on my range guns.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I too am considering adding an RMR to my Glock 19, what does everyone prefer for dot sizes? 3.25 or 6.5?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an RMR 6 on my Glock 17. It's 3.25. I love it. Once you get used to it it's much faster than irons. It Adds virtually no weight to the gun at all. It has a feature that adjusts to the light.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been carrying a 17.4 with an
RM08G for a few months now. I can
get 2" groups at 30 yards with Critical
Duty 135's off of a pistol rest. I concur
that you don't need the red dot inside
of 15 yards or so, depending on your
level of profenciency, but I really
like the idea of being able to make
head shots at 50 yards, if the need
arises, and body shots well past that.
This takes the handgun, more into PDW
ranges. It just increases it capability
beyond previous thinking.

And at 52 years old, with my vision beginning
to creep out a bit, the RMR helps with my
confidence & capability.

I like the green triangles as the top tip gives
you a really fine aiming point when needed,
but the triangle becomes a dot for closer range
needs.

I also have an RMR on a 22.4, which is
what I travel with, and I have added the
RM08G's to two FNX Tacticals.

I bought in heavy to the concept, but I
am not disappointed.

John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top