Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2001 2:02:52 PM EDT
Are they practical?  I think they look good, and may buy one after I get a 1911.. What would you guys say the pros and cons are?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
They have there followers and they do have there uses. It is usually recommended that you stick with a SS hip holster as the best for personal protection in most cases. I myself carry this way 99% of the time. Whatever you choose makesure that you stick with that the most and practice. Changing up carry styles all the time is the worst thing you can do.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems like when it's cold and I'm wearing a coat, this would be the most comfortable way to carry.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]
They are nice under a coat and can have a relatively fast presentation, however they do require practice and are only good under faily heavy coats. they take some getting used to and you will always be aware it's there. I am aircrew for a sheriff's office here in fl and wear my usp45 in an uncle mikes verticle shoulder hoster. we wear them openly obviously and i am carring a big gun and two spare mags and cuffs and it is a bulky rig.

www.usgalco.com/Default.asp

edited to add the link to galco

If your are interested in them check out some of the best. Look at the miami classice by galco.

I have a lot of experience with that one and love it. galco makes several nice shoulder holsters that might well suit your need.

Also i only wear a nylon shoulder hoster on duty because i have to. if i had my choice it would be a galco maimi classic.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]
While shoulder holsters aren't quite the solution they seem to be on t.v., they do have their place.  I read an excellent article on the proper application of shoulder holsters, and I'll try to dig it up.  Basically, they're ideal if you are in a situation where you are most likely to need to draw from a seated position or are otherwise prevented from using a typical holster.  If concealment isn't an issue, and you are likely to be seated, then shoulder holsters are great.

BTW, the Galco Miami Classic IS great.  Can't beat that leather smell...

Viper Out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top