Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2003 6:21:22 PM EDT
Are these rounds any good for defense?  The best?  Okay?  Decent?  Does anyone have any info on ballistics for these rounds?  Are they good for stopping power?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had serious quality control issues with Remington ammo in the past...but in fairness, it was over a decade ago, and I have never tried the Golden Sabre ammo. Because of these issues, I simply will not rely on Remington ammo for protection, no matter what load or caliber / gauge. Having said that, many here report good results with this load...be your own judge.

I prefer the WW Ranger SXT's, CCI Gold Dot or Federal HydraShok for "Premium" loads and either WW "white box" or Federal's Classic line for good, but not super expensive JHP stuff.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had good results with golden sabre ammunition.  From the test I have read, Tarus 100%copper expanded the most with Power Ball second and Federal Hydra-shock coming in third.  Some guns will not feed the golden sabre so you may want to try some before you decide to rely on it.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have had serious quality control issues with Remington ammo in the past...but in fairness, it was over a decade ago, and I have never tried the Golden Sabre ammo.

To get this back to the top, I might add on quality control, that I once saw a dented 9mm Golden Sabre round in a brand new box of 40 S&W Golden Sabre.

Never have used the 45 round.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:10:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Lazyshooter;

Ask anyone who works constantly with thousands...eventually millions after many years...of factory loaded cartridges from the "Big Four" and you will hear things about all companies. In addition, this field is constantly in a state of "flux" with engineers, etc. quitting at one company and being hired by another, cost issues being whined about by bean counters, blah, blah, blah.

When I say I had problems, I mean with both pistol and shotgun ammo and I mean with thousands of rounds from several different lots in three pistol calibers and 12ga. Much different than having a few issues with a couple hundred rounds. However, I would never issue any sort of "blanket indictment" against a first-line ammo company because I have seen them all do both good and bad things over several decades...as well as some incredibly stupid things!...and I am certain they will again.

Remington's stuff may...or may not...be just fine now, but I don't feel the need to spend my own money to find out. Ha!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
They are the best round IF you plan to shoot thru auto windshields or glass (FBI test criteria).  GOLD DOT's best against normally dressed people, SXT's right there with them. Hydra Shock and Silvertips are oldie technology.
In 45acp the new Taurus copper is awesome and feeds well in almost everything.
#1 is placing the round into the target
#2 is a non-fmj wont usually exit or over penetrate
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#6]
If you like the Golden Saber projectile but don't trust Remington, check out Collins Cartridge Co., www.cccammo.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top