Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/17/2006 5:33:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2006 6:39:40 AM EDT by ZitiForBreakfast]
My XD40 is my carry weapon.

I do not buy different rounds, I have only bought the same ammo for it from day one.

I am sure that many of you are going to hang me out to dry on this. But I am curious.

My XD has yet to fail (I know not if but when). I have have yet to have a FTF or FTE. I always hit the steel and usually put them in the black when I compete with it (production).

I think that if I hit someone with the .40 in a worse case scenario, I feel confident that I will prolly shoot more than once and what I hit the perp with will be enough.

Does anyone else who carry's NOT get into the different ammo for this and that?

BTW, it's not Wolf

Edited for the english majors
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:40:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2006 5:40:38 AM EDT by mr_wilson]

Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:
My XD40 is my carry weapon.

I do not buy different rounds, I have only bought the same ammo from it from day one.

Does your pistol give ya a good deal on the ammo it makes ya buy from it?

Mike
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:38:03 AM EDT
In 40 I practice with WWB 180 or 165 gr. I always test what I carry though, with at least a couple hundred rounds. I continue testing the carry ammo over time as well..
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:31:22 PM EDT
I practice/test a lot of different rounds but always finish up with my carry ammo. I also rotate my ready mags/carry ammo though every couple months during practice.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:22:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ktrout01:
I practice/test a lot of different rounds but always finish up with my carry ammo. I also rotate my ready mags/carry ammo though every couple months during practice.

I do pretty much the same.
Before I carry a pistol, I will put 300-400 rds of Ranger SXT's (my carry ammo) downrange, to see how the pistol likes them. After that, I use the cheapest practice ammo I can find. I will periodically use up the ammo in my carry mags and put fresh stuff in also.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:47:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fst96ss:

Originally Posted By ktrout01:

I do pretty much the same.
Before I carry a pistol, I will put 300-400 rds of Ranger SXT's (my carry ammo) downrange, to see how the pistol likes them. After that, I use the cheapest practice ammo I can find. I will periodically use up the ammo in my carry mags and put fresh stuff in also.

+1, but Speer Gold Dots

I can afford to burn up $.16/rd WWB. The other stuff is to much $$$ for me to use for training.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:39:34 AM EDT
I wish I could shoot what I carry (147gr TAP CQ) but it's just too much money. I shoot just enough of it to make sure it works reliably in my G19. I usally shoot UMC or WWB for practice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:00:29 PM EDT
I shoot my carry gun A LOT. I would go broke if I shot only Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:16:19 PM EDT
I always use the same 230gr hardball that I practice with. It simplifies logistics, and is much more economical. I really ought to use hollowpoints to limit penetration through flesh, but I am not much concerned with the terminal ballistics of .45 caliber FMJ.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:22:50 PM EDT
Yep, and those 135gr. +P Gold Dot JHPs aren't any fun to shoot. Out of a 2" titanium .38 they kick like heck. Usually 2 cylinderfuls per range outing is all I want.

I undergo the pain 'cause I really want to be sure I know where it hits.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:25:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
I always use the same 230gr hardball that I practice with. It simplifies logistics, and is much more economical. I really ought to use hollowpoints to limit penetration through flesh, but I am not much concerned with the terminal ballistics of .45 caliber FMJ.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:34:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2006 5:35:41 PM EDT by VBC]
I do most of my shooting with WWB/UMC/PMC etc., whatever I can get cheap and usually shoot 10 or 20 of my carry load or whatever I want to experiment with. It's really not that big of a deal IMO as long as your practice load vs. carry load have somewhat similar ballistics and point of aim and you experience no malfunctions with the carry load.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:56:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PAEBR332:

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:20:33 AM EDT
I'll probably get a gang of shit for this, but I shoot 230 grain ball (Blazer brass and Black Hills) in my 1911 and thats pretty much all I have for it when I carry. I've heard lots of arguments as to why that is a bad idea, but honestly I don't know of anyone who take 2-8 rounds of FMJ goodness and still pose any kind of threat. I plan on feeding my XD the same thing once I actually get the ol DB's on it.

I got two boxes of cor bon 230 +P JHP for Christmas, but at almost a buck a round I think I'll stick with what I've got.

Ball isn't total crap though, I've seen what it does to people and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of any.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:01:31 AM EDT

I don't know...some of those HP's expand to almost an inch and penetrate 13". Seems worth it to carry.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:18:35 AM EDT
I shoot WWB ball ammo through my pistols. I'll put two mags worth of Gold Dots through occasionally, just to make sure they feed fine. I don't notice much of a difference between the recoil or performance between ammo types.

But I won't spend a full day at the range shooting Gold Dots, too expensive.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:25:55 AM EDT
The problem with ball ammo is that ALL handgun rounds are poor incapacitating weapons. ALL of them. Expanding bullets that penetrate a minimum of 12 inches increases the wounding potential of the weapon significantly over that of ball ammo.

You are already at a disadvantage by having to use a handgun (as opposed to a long gun). Do not add a further impediment by using one of the worst possible ammunition.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:31:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Schulze:

I don't know...some of those HP's expand to almost an inch and penetrate 13". Seems worth it to carry.

25% of them do not open and most don't expand beyond .65-.75". I am not so enamored of them. For the price of 300 rounds to test my gun out and have some left, I can buy a case of FMJ. Besides, SXTs print like 4 inches high and slightly right from my Colt.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:39:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 10:54:59 AM EDT by PAEBR332]

25% of them do not open and most don't expand beyond .65-.75". I am not so enamored of them. For the price of 300 rounds to test my gun out and have some left, I can buy a case of FMJ. Besides, SXTs print like 4 inches high and slightly right from my Colt.

The failure-to-expand rate for 4th generation HPs is far less than 25%. I have tested a lot of Gold Dots, and never had a single failure-to-expand. Even if this were not so, you are accepting a 100% certainty that the FMJ will NOT expand, versus a better than 75% probability that the JHP WILL expand.

Trying to save money is a very poor reason to carry poor ammo. I believe it is you who is found of the saying "It's not the odds, it's the stakes." If you every have to use your handgun against an attacker, the stakes will be very high indeed. You might as well improve the odds as well by using the best possible defensive round.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:45:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 10:47:29 AM EDT by Combat_Jack]
I have seen plenty of .45 FMJs that hit wet wood, bounced off, and were found expanded to approx .60.

Bullets do wierd things.

ETA: You remember my favorite quote. I understand your concerns, believe me, but at the same time, I haven't found JHPs to be enough of an improvement to warrant the time and money. I do have some around, and may be making more use of them in the future, but as it stands I do not feel naked without.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:10:12 AM EDT

I have seen plenty of .45 FMJs that hit wet wood, bounced off, and were found expanded to approx .60.

Bullets do wierd things.

ETA: You remember my favorite quote. I understand your concerns, believe me, but at the same time, I haven't found JHPs to be enough of an improvement to warrant the time and money. I do have some around, and may be making more use of them in the future, but as it stands I do not feel naked without.

Is it true that you shoot .45 because it makes a bigger hole than 9mm? Your .45 ball has 162% the surface area of 9mm ball, so it's a good choice. But a HP expanding to .70" has a surface area 242% of the .45" ball. How can that not be worth it?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:21:52 AM EDT
I would carry hollowpoints.....if I could get ahold of them more easily. The people who buy FMJ for me would shit a brick if wanted hollowpoints. I have about 50 of them, would need 200 more per gun, at least.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:51:44 AM EDT
carry speer gold dots 180gr, practive with speer gold dots 180gr.

i got about 8k of the bulk stuff ammoman was selling so i shoot that when allowed, other than that i shoot wwb at the indoor ranges.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:58:02 AM EDT
I carry and shoot 180 gold dots handloads in my 10mm G20.

I have all the boxes labeled from the same batch in case there is a need to test them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:20:50 PM EDT

Bullets do wierd things.

Is it true that you shoot .45 because it makes a bigger hole than 9mm? Your .45 ball has 162% the surface area of 9mm ball, so it's a good choice. But a HP expanding to .70" has a surface area 242% of the .45" ball. How can that not be worth it?

why should he explain his choice, it works and it's proven in combat
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:24:33 PM EDT
i reload, so what i typically do is load up a bunch of 124 +p GDHPs to as close to factory as i can get em, and fire those through as break in, then about 50-100 real deal rounds, then after that i practice with home loaded 124 +p FMJ rounds at same velocity to equate the same recoil, just cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:25:12 PM EDT
i reload, so what i typically do is load up a bunch of 124 +p GDHPs to as close to factory as i can get em, and fire those through as break in, then about 50-100 real deal rounds, then after that i practice with home loaded 124 +p FMJ rounds at same velocity to equate the same recoil, just cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:14:35 PM EDT
I shoot what I carry in my XD9SC (cor-bons) but not exclusively. I would go broke...the only place I can find them around here charges $3 more for 20 cor-bons than I pay for 100 winchester white box FMJ at Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:12:06 PM EDT

I would carry hollowpoints.....if I could get ahold of them more easily. The people who buy FMJ for me would shit a brick if wanted hollowpoints. I have about 50 of them, would need 200 more per gun, at least.

Jack
Get WWB 230 Gr. HP. You can get them at Walmart. At least they're HP and you can buy 50 for about $18.00. Any expansion is better than none. And it will decrease overpenetration.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:53:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By XM17SBullpup:

Jack
Get WWB 230 Gr. HP. You can get them at Walmart. At least they're HP and you can buy 50 for about $18.00. Any expansion is better than none. And it will decrease overpenetration.

I think he's under 21 so someone else has to get them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:55:54 PM EDT
Bingo Schulze. So I can only really get ammo by the case and pick it up when I visit home.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:51:04 PM EDT

Bingo Schulze. So I can only really get ammo by the case and pick it up when I visit home.

One of the reasons I started reloading when I was 19.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:50:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By XM17SBullpup:

Jack

Sorry Jack, I forgot your age. But you can buy them in a case. I don't know what to tell you about any issues your ammo buyers might have about HP. Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:16:55 AM EDT
I buy a bunch of different ammo and different brands, and different styles. I like not only knowing that a gun is relible with my choice of ammo, but with whatever other ammo is available.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:12:55 PM EDT
I'll usually carry a box for a couple weeks, then go to the range, shoot it off and buy a new box. That way I'm used to the ammo, and it doesn't get old.
The majority of my shooting is done with cheap Winchester FMJ ammo, but I finish up a session with my box of carry ammo.

Remmington Gold Sabers +p 124gr (9mm) have been in my gun for the last 3 weeks or so. After this box, I'll probably go back to gold dots.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:26:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 6:26:56 AM EDT by glk19]

I think you hit the nail on the head. The way everybody is sue happy today, you must think about liability issues as well as terminal performance. Would you want to shoot someone and have the shot go through their torso and into a bystander? I personally wouldn't want the fact that I was too cheap to buy good ammo haunt me by facing a wrongful death suit. At least with a quality HP you would improve your chances somewhat.
Top Top