Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 7:03:15 PM EDT
whats the difference between these ammo in .45acp?
the winchester ranger ra45t
black talons
and SXTs?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Rangers are Black Talons with a less scary sounding name in an attempt to be PC.

SXTs are very similar but don't have the razor sharp "fangs" when the bullet expands.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]
ahh... thanks for making it clear for me

what i still dont get is why people pay buku more for the black talons
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Does ranger have a round that has the "Fangs" or is that a unnessisary thing of the past? Were they even effective or was it just a hype made by the media regarding their effectivness?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I have read, the Ranger "T" is actually ballistically better than the Black Talon. The only real difference as far as I know, is that there is no teflon coating on the Ranger ammo. All Ranger "T", or"law enforcement only" ammo is designed to expand with the sharp petals you see in pictures.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.hi-upload.com/uploaded1/aIMG_3571.JPG

i'll post better pictures later, cause i'm not home
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#6]
The black talons i have actually have “big” tulip shaped “petals” that open and look cool.  The rangers are not that pronounced.  Both fed in autos just as well.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
www.hi-upload.com/uploaded1/aIMG_3571.JPG

i'll post better pictures later, cause i'm not home

What you have there is Ranger-T, the newest and best design of the old "black talon" bullet. The box should be marked RA45T or RA45TP in the lower right corner of the box end.

RA45T= 230gr standard pressure
RA45TP= 230gr +P pressure.

Both are very good loads.

ETA: The black coating on the original Black Talon was not teflon, but Lubalox, a coating similar to moly. The same stuff is used on some of their centerfire premium line (Accubond, Ballistic Silvertip...)

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
where can I find the RA45T? all I can find at fun shows are the ranger stx.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
where can I find the RA45T? all I can find at fun shows are the ranger stx.

[email protected]  Email him and he'll hook you up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top