Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 9:00:19 PM EDT
ill tell mine first i guess,

it was a cold night about 5 0'clock here in montana, i live in the outskirts of a small town, i litte creek running across my property in a littel creek bed, it feeds off the flathead river which is a pretty good size river that flows into the flathead lake ( for anybody that lives near me.) anywase, me and my brother are down in the dry creek bed , we got some doe urine out , were all camoed up, just a perfecnt time to hunt, everything is going perfect, we see some does, and i know there are bucks back here on our little bit of land cause ive been down their the past couple of weeks just spotting them and watching them, so i know that the does come out, and them the buck, ive been watching the same buck for about 1 week now, probley after the same does that just stepped out about 20 yards down the creek bed. i got a thompson 45 acp rifle loaded up with some 230 grain black talons. so the does step out, i wait, then  i see the buck, nothing big but a quality basket rack buck. he steps out about 25-30 yards out and is looking directly at me, pointed straight at me, i lower the thompson, i put it dead on his chest about 4 inches down from the base of his neck and squeeze it off. i shoot and i see the buck go straight up like a horse rearing up and just keep going back. almost like if a man was standing upright and tips over onto his back with no movement other than falling backwards, im thinkgin ok he is dead, no movement he is dead. little did i konw, when he hits square on his back he flips around and runs off, nowhere to be found. the thing that really got me is that their was not one bit of blood. %100 sure i hit him. but i didnt find him after 3 days of all day lookin. this was about 3 years ago, recently we had a contracter come out and mark off our land. and the guy walks back hoding a rack that he found back on our land, i was goine at the time but my mom was here and for some reason she let him leave with it, the guy found it on our land and she let him leave, i got back and she told me about this and  just lost it, i knew this had to be the buck i killed 3 years ago, i know your all thinging that it is bullshit and i should of found the thing, i guess it was just one of them things where i couldnt do anymore. i looked my ass off, i figured it must off stopped in front of his lungs and he didnt die, but i guess he did. oh well, so lets hear it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Good gracious....i stopped reading after the 3rd line.   It would help to capitalize the start of every sentence and making another paragraph after the 3rd or 4th sentence.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Retitle the thread to

Gimme your best .45 ACP story, using proper puncuation and grammar.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Retitle the thread to

Gimme your best .45 ACP story, using proper puncuation and grammar.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:54:59 AM EDT
[#4]
This is a great story as to why you DON'T hunt with a 45 ACP.  Jesus, a chest shot at 30 yards and it didn;t reach the vitals???  Buy a real deer rifle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:17:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This is a great story as to why you DON'T hunt with a 45 ACP.  Jesus, a chest shot at 30 yards and it didn;t reach the vitals???  Buy a real deer rifle.

Horseshit, deer died, besides how do you know the round didn't reach the vitals, what? think it died of old age?

Besides, it ain't his fault the shooter failed to realize the importance of "thru & thru" shots while hunting and made a bad choice to take a shot along the long-axis of the deer with a pistol calibered rifle. (fwiw, only a high powered rifle like a 30-06 can produce a thru and thru front to rear on a deer)

Smart hunter's know the importance of thru & thru's, (and the value of makin certain to create a blood trail with one's shot) but novice hunter's have to learn those sort of things the hard way, (unfortunately for the deer).

Shot placement is of primary importance when hunting with handgun calibered weapons, I've kill 2 deer in my life w/ my 1911 and both were dropped dead in their tracks, so don't blame the caliber.

Mike

ps - IMO using the 45acp is NOT a recommended practice for deer but it is more than capable of doing the job when shot placement is precise and range is short and yes both were shot a close range, neck shots which produced thru and thru wounds.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds to me like a problem with the sight-trigger interface.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#7]
 I have a a good story about a day at the range with the 'lil misses and my .45......

(I'll try to shorten it up for the ADHD folks)

The Warden and myself were shooting at the range about 2 years ago. I was shooting with my right hand unsupported with my TRP. She had run out of ammo and was seated just watching me.
So naturally I started showing off.....I shot 2 eyes, a nose, and a mouth on  the target. Let me back up by saying I'm left-handed.

Two older gentlemen walked up just as I was popping my mouth off talkin #$%&. They were dressed in full body Realtree camo. (You know the guys I'm talkin about) Apparently they had heard me goofing and saw my target. One of them pipes up "I bet you can't shoot like that with your left hand!!!"

Well this was a rare opportunity indeed... I flashed a look at my wife... I replied "I only have 1 mag left and it's probably just as easy with my left hand as my right"  The two codgers started to cackle and spit. Then the loud one told me if I could get 3 out of 7 in the "head" of the target he would buy me a box of ammo.

I thought better of it, but they just kept after me.  To make a long story not so long I went home with a full box of 230 UMC.  (to their credit they said "any box in the store" but in the interest of karma I stayed humble and got the hardball) Hope it wasn't too long, but it was a .45 story..
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#8]
My best .45 story? O.K. here goes................I shelved the Colt Mark IV series 80, and bought an H&K USP40 compact.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Won Hi Shooter of my Plt at Camp Lejunne in 75' got a 72 hr leave .

My POS Ithica took two fingers to discharge . So when a freind turned around while on the firing line at the pistol range w/ his .45 ....a spare pistol instantly "became avaliable" as he was asked polity to "leave the range" Har Har .

Drove up to Philly to retreive my other buddies stolen Nova
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I was always known to be about the best shot in my generation for miles around where i grew up at. About 15 or 20 years ago i was shooting my colt gold cup and almost always shjot 1 jagged hole groups at 25 meteres (yes for you americans it was metric) and shot a bullet into a bullet perfectly.I shot and hit dead center fired another round and that went in the first bullet and buried in the back through the lead and bounced back and fell in front of my target; still got it somewhere but have not seen it in years.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#11]

i got a thompson 45 acp rifle loaded up with some 230 grain black talons. so the does step out

Good Christ almighty, most sheep humpers know enough to hunt "deers" witha 30-30 or better.

OK-I was part of the comittee/staff for the Springdale WA rodeo a few years back.
1st horse out of the shoot snapped his leg, we formed a line so the crowd couldn't see, and the stock contractor said " Load 'em and  he's done, finish 'em," We got the pony into a trailer, but had no where to go, the only spot I knew of was a DNR road, 5 miles away....BTW- Yep, I was designated the "executioner" since I was the only one availible with a pistol, (an Auto-Ord, USGI 1911, Colt Bbl, worked trigger, throated and ported).
We got to the area, the lead wrangler says, "OK, I'll open the door, you've got like 1/2 a sec to take the shot, or else he'll be out, on top of us, and running loose." I said "OK" and told him to crack the door.
Damn horse shoved his head out, wild-eyed and looking to run and up until the millisecond where he tried to bite me, I felt bad for him. Two rounds, in under a second, dropped him to his knees, and he (thank God) went  quick.
For the record I was loaded with 230GR Black Talons....one  might have done it, but I didn't care to see if the animal suffered.
Funny part was, watching two cowpokes try to get his carcass out of the trailer. 20 miuntes later that 1500 pound horse was offloaded, the next day, my neighbor bagged a 200lb Couger, and buried the horse.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:04:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I used one to defend my life against a robber who used a .45 as well.

it was very unnerving to discover this when I looked at his spent casings after the fact.

I have had about 20 ricochets at the range... always those tiny pieces that feel like a mosquito bite. Well I was sending 230 gr down range at some pins and a chunk (about 80% jacketed & all) came straight back at my nuts. It was not a warm and fuzzy feeling unless you mean hot pain and fuzzy vision.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:28:51 AM EDT
[#13]
well pulpsmack that is just god saying that you shouldn't have kids.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

too late, my seed has germinated ...

at least once
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:07:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

too late, my seed has germinated ...

at least once

may god help us.  and probably you most of all.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Best .45 ACP story

I'm at the range qualifying for my CCW.  I'm shooting an old Sestima Modulo 1927 Colt, which for those who don't know is an Argintine Military 1911.  It's old, has quite a bit of finnish wear, and rattles like all get out.

So the fellow shooting next to me has this brand new shiny Ruger P89, and has been bragging about how he is going ot join the Sherrif's posse.  He looks down at my old beater 1911 and says scornfully "You're going to shoot that old thing".  Now I'm annoyed but decide to play it cool, "Well," I say, "It's what I've got."

So we start shooting at the grey silhuette at 5 yards *5 stinkin' yards*.

Mr posse, is having a bit of trouble hitting the breadbasket.
Mr posse, is having a bit of trouble hitting the silhuette.
Actualy, in point of fact, Mr posse has only three of five rounds even on the paper, and only one in the grey.

Mr posse looks over at my target and sees a perfect cloverleaf plus a 1/2" flier smack in the center of the breadbasket.

Mr posse looks at my target, look at my pistol, looks at my target back and forth several times.  When he finnally looks at me I say "Well, it's what I've got".  I thought he was going to pee himself.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Best .45 ACP story

I'm at the range qualifying for my CCW. I'm shooting an old Sestima Modulo 1927 Colt, which for those who don't know is an Argintine Military 1911. It's old, has quite a bit of finnish wear, and rattles like all get out.

So the fellow shooting next to me has this brand new shiny Ruger P89, and has been bragging about how he is going ot join the Sherrif's posse. He looks down at my old beater 1911 and says scornfully "You're going to shoot that old thing". Now I'm annoyed but decide to play it cool, "Well," I say, "It's what I've got."

So we start shooting at the grey silhuette at 5 yards *5 stinkin' yards*.

Mr posse, is having a bit of trouble hitting the breadbasket.
Mr posse, is having a bit of trouble hitting the silhuette.
Actualy, in point of fact, Mr posse has only three of five rounds even on the paper, and only one in the grey.

Mr posse looks over at my target and sees a perfect cloverleaf plus a 1/2" flier smack in the center of the breadbasket.

Mr posse looks at my target, look at my pistol, looks at my target back and forth several times. When he finnally looks at me I say "Well, it's what I've got". I thought he was going to pee himself.

Ruger - says it all
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#18]
i just remembered this story cause i was telling it to some guys at work last night.

one day at the range when me and my friend dave were the only ones there we decided to have some fun.  it took some prodding to get him to let me use his pistols to do silly things but i think he eventually had fun with it.  i took his p14-45 in my right hand and his p220 in my left and cranked out 18 rounds and didn't hit the target but maybe twice.  i did clank them together by accident when firing both at once.  i should have stuck to 9mm when doing stupid things like that.  and he didn't do too much better.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#19]
My favorite .45 ACP Story......

Ok, I have a Sig P220 .45 ACP and I always have it in my Uncle Mike's holster while at the range. So I get there, set up my target, and start loading mags with my 220 on my hip still. This guy goes 20 feet down the table (he is the guy who thinks adults can do anything) he has many peircings. He has a piece of shit 30-30 rifle his wife got him a year ago and some 100$ crap 9mm (not sure what kind). He looks at me and laughs. My dad says to him "whats funny" and he says "a 13 year old with his dad's 9mm on his hip it's funny he probably cant shoot it". We all start getting pissed with this guy 'cause he's a retard so I yell at him "this is my .45 and i can shoot it." he says "yeah right." so I give up and finish loading. I go to fire and he stops and watches..... first shot= close to bulls-eye.....2nd= in middle Circle but not "X"......etc. He's suprised but acts not impressed..... he turns fires a mag of 30-30's and barely hits the target.... then his 9mm (i wish i new what kind) he fires 5 shots and the slide flings off and he leaves... never seen him since

PS- it was at 23 yards TRUE STORY people always have a hard time believing it
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
<SNIP>..... he turns fires a mag of 30-30's and barely hits the target.... then his 9mm (i wish i new what kind) he fires 5 shots and the slide flings off and he leaves... never seen him since

Most likely a "Hi-Point"
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Friends dog got snake bit.  Dug a hole, called the poor suffering pooch over, put the HK with 185 grain Federal Hollow points to his head and pulled the trigger.  He lunges backwards and i quickly fire off 4 more at his head hitting him 1 or 2 times in the neck, once about the eyes, and missing once.  By this time he has turned around and I put one center mass and he drops like a rock.  Drag him in the hole and realize he really didnt have much of a head and realize how weak us humans are compared to even a mangy dog.    No man could have survived that kind of damage, much less turned around to run.

Point of story: shot placement is most important and always go center mass.  Head shots are hard and dogs have small brains.

Also shot an armordilla in the head at night from 15 yards.  All I could see was his eyes, and thats right where I hit.  I could never pull that shot off again if I had to.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#22]
While shooting at an agency "advanced" handgun course I used my P220 and another deputy beside me had his P226.    The course had steel pepper poppers at about 20 yards or so.   The drill was to exit the patrol car and engage the poppers on command.    We were supposed to fire 2 rounds at the popper and move to cover and execute a tactical reload ( after both targets were down with one deputy providing cover while the other reloaded)  

As we exit the car I shoot the popper, it drops so damned quick I couldnt fire a second round.   The other guy fires his 226 and proceeds to empty the mag ( making several lousy hits )  The popper stands.  He reloads and continues for another magful until dropping the popper on the last round of the 2nd mag.    He says the popper has a problem and wont fall.   We switch position for the next drill and same results on the other side.  

He WAS giving me a hard time about only having 8 round mags

In all reality if he'd just slow down and be a bit better at shot placement he probably could have dropped the target fine but it was just too fun picking on his lil 9mm.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<SNIP>..... he turns fires a mag of 30-30's and barely hits the target.... then his 9mm (i wish i new what kind) he fires 5 shots and the slide flings off and he leaves... never seen him since

hr

Hi-Point"

I just asked my dad and its funny you said that cause it's a high point ahahahahaha
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top