Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/24/2006 7:23:39 AM EDT
I was wondering where I could find information on the meaning of +P and +P+ when referring to handgun ammo. I understand from context that it is a 'hotter' load, but what exactly does it mean? I tried searching but search engines count the '+' as a search qualifier and it never works.

Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:11:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2006 11:13:34 AM EDT by VBC]
I have no idea what the "P" stands for. I would assume is stands for "powder" or "POW!". +P and +P+ are often used by different manufacturer's to label a round that is loaded to higher pressure than their normal offering in that caliber/weight.

+P is regulated by industry standards, meaning there is a max amount of pressure for a +P in a certain caliber and manufacturers shouldn't exceed it. +P+ isn't recognized by industry standard and is a label certain manufacturers use. Also, some loads boxed as regular loads are hotter than some +P loads from other folks, and sometimes within the same brand. There is no rhyme or reason.

In general, +P means is supposed to mean hotter than regular. +P+ is supposed to mean it's hotter than +P.

This is all based off memory. So I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:59:11 AM EDT
Don't try shooting +P or +P+ unless your handgun has a full supported chamber and is supposed to shoot these hotter loads or you're gonna be in trouble.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:12:38 PM EDT
Well I sold my Taurus PT100 in .40 and bought a Sig P229 in 357 Sig. None of the ammo I have bought or even seen has the +P or +P+ on it. I have noticed differances in ammo that I have bought though. The stuff I bought at the gunshow was reloads from a company that the shooting range guy knows well and actually resells their ammo for them. I have also shot some Gold Dots that are definitely loaded hotter, but there is no +P or +P+ marking on the box.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:33:19 PM EDT
I have always assumed the P stands for pressure, as +P and +P+ loads are loaded to higher pressure than stnadard loads.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:21:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Karl_Withakay:
I have always assumed the P stands for pressure, as +P and +P+ loads are loaded to higher pressure than stnadard loads.

Correct
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:37:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By skerbo:
Well I sold my Taurus PT100 in .40 and bought a Sig P229 in 357 Sig. None of the ammo I have bought or even seen has the +P or +P+ on it. I have noticed differances in ammo that I have bought though. The stuff I bought at the gunshow was reloads from a company that the shooting range guy knows well and actually resells their ammo for them. I have also shot some Gold Dots that are definitely loaded hotter, but there is no +P or +P+ marking on the box.

that is because there are only iirc 4 saami recognized +p loads: 9mm+p, .38spl +p, .45acp +p, and .257roberts +p. often you will see .38super listed as +p but that is just to note that it was much more powerful than older .38 chamberings. basically there is a pressure limit for standard loads and another for +p loads. but there is technically no upper limit for +p+ and that is not saami recognized. +p is generally ok in most military type handguns--sigs, rugers, glocks, hk, etc. but if you are concerned i suggest checking your manual or contacting the manufacturer.
Top Top