Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2006 7:45:41 PM EDT
do silvertips have silver in them or do they just look it? they shoot pretty well in my 96.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:14:25 AM EDT
[#1]
No silver, the tree huggers got it banned. Unkind to werewolves you know…

And Golden Sabers do not contain any gold, nor does Wolf have any fangs.

Cool names from the marketing department though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought that "Sliver tip" meant just that . Mine is shiny enough .
Wonder if it will tarnish . Then we would know .
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I think Silvertips are aluminum jacketed hollow points.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had some well handled 10mm Silvertips and they never tarnish.

It might just stop a werewolf.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#5]
No silver in Silvertips. I believe most loadings use an Aluiminum jacket, though I think some may have zinc plated copper jackets.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:30:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
so do you think they would perform any better than most any JHP?  or are they just special cause they look like silver?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Silvertips were decent performers in their day, but have since been bypassed by newer designs like Golden Saber/ Golden Saber Bonded, Gold Dot, Ranger/ Ranger Bonded, and HST.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]
They're an older JHP design.   It depends on caliber how well they perform.  In .380, they're usually regarded as the worst choice JHP.  In 9mm mediocre.  In 10mm, they're one of the last major factory made 10mm loaded to true 10mm power.  Silvertips are what I carry in my Glock 29 (10mm).  Only silvertips I buy.

IMO the 9mm Winchester White Box 147 grain "Personal Protection" available at Wal-Mart for $10 a box is some good stuff.  It's a good JHP (classic design) loaded hotter than the silvertips.  Loaded hotter than Ranger T.  Since it's cheap, you can practice with it a lot.  It's also very accurate.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

IMO the 9mm Winchester White Box 147 grain "Personal Protection" available at Wal-Mart for $10 a box is some good stuff.  It's a good JHP (classic design) loaded hotter than the silvertips.  Loaded hotter than Ranger T.  Since it's cheap, you can practice with it a lot.  It's also very accurate.

Really?  Never messed with them any......  I just bought some Starfires for a really low price.  124 grain, plus our department has us to carry either starfire or Gold Dot.  I carry a .40 with 165 gr Gold Dot on duty, the 9mm is my wife's nightstand gun.

We had a neighboring officer shoot a guy in the left nipple with a starfire a few years ago .40cal, it expanded really well and stopped inside of the guy's back skin layer.  It was about a 3 yrd shot and the guy had on a shirt and jacket. DRT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:35:37 AM EDT
[#11]
The 10mm Win Silvertips grouped the worst at 25yd bench rest of the 5 or 6 ammo types I tried in my G29.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top