Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 8:30:38 AM EDT
I still have a few boxes of black talons for my 9mm, they are getting a little old, and I still fire a round or two, to make sure they still fire. and now carry hydro- shoc, in my 40, and 380. What off the shelf  bullet do you consider to be the best, for ranges out to 20yds? Best expansion, and knock down. I want a round that has the best chance of stopping the bad guy on the first shot.228 9mm  sig is primary weapon, 40 cal SteyrM is vehicle, and 380 232sig is for concealment when wearing shorts or light jacket. I have others in my home, in various places where I can access them quickly including an ar pistol with beta next to bed. also 45 1911. Give me your thoughts as to which gun and ammo combanation,and where you think they should be stored for easy access. I am a firefighter, and own a convienence store, from time to time, I have to carry large amounts of cash, but try not to keep much in my house, but some people think if you own a business you are rich, and I worry about possible home invasion type robbery.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#1]
speer gold dots, or rangers
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen speer, but I am not familiar with rangers, could you give a brief discription?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Winchester Ranger 180gr. JHP RA40T
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you, I had to look at the box, Federal Hydra shocks are my current load. Also what is the dependable shelf life of ammo? I have been shooting since I was 4 or 5, and carrying a firearm since I was 21, and never knew how long the life of a bullet was. I have some shotgun shells that were bad after only 2 years, they were stored in a dry location, but several boxes had rounds that misfired while on a crow hunt.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#5]
How long would you leave the same shells in a gun, and feel confident they will perform when called upon?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#6]
zoe17 is right about the ammo.  As far as how long you can leave them in the gun, the answer is indefinately.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
My opinion/ preference:

Speer Gold Dot (all are Bonded Core), Remington Golden Saber Bonded, or Winchester Ranger Bonded.
(Bonded core is where it's at these days)

In reverse order of likely to take down on the first shot-

.380 is questionable to achieve adequate penetration with any hollow point, but if you want a hollow point in .380, I would either go Speer Gold Dot 90gr or possibly Cor-Bon 90gr.

9mm Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P for the 228

.40 S&W Speer Gold Dot 180 gr for the Steyr

1911 w/ Speer gold Dot 230 gr.  BEST CHANCE OF STOPPING THE BAD GUY ON FIRST SHOT.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the breakdown, 228 or 40 steyr is most often carried, or close by, 380 is only carried when I want concealment, or the ease of carry. I have that on me while cutting grass with shorts on. 45 is placed where I can get it easy while inside. the 228 is first choice because I shoot the best with it, and number of rds it can hold.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Stopping power is completely secondary to SHOT PLACEMENT. Any round can have adequate stopping power if the placement is right. Just look at the GA Sherrif's deputy that was killed by a .22LR that went under his vest, after putting six .357 mag. rounds into a suspect.

IMHO, Federal Hydra-Shoks are exceptional rounds, and expand just like they are supposed to, each time
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I was taught in medic school, that the 22, is responsible for more firearm deaths than any other round, they tend to bounce around inside the body, and an otherwise non fatal wound, could be fatal because, there is no telling what it will hit after it enters the body. I would  think that more people are shot by 22s than any other rd in the U.S., at least  when the book was  written.  Before anyone says it, I know bullets don't kill people,... people kill people. This was 18 years ago, 9mm may be the most common now, I'm not really sure, times have changed, but it may still be the 22. As far as shot placement, I go to the range, at least once a week, and twice when it is warmer, the range is about 3 miles from the house, I can hear the shots when I'm outside. I hit what I'm aiming at, under the stress of a robbery, I can only hope I stay calm, and make em' count.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I forgot to add CorBon DPX.  Those rounds are proving to be excellent performers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry 124gr. Remington Golden Sabers in my Beretta. Seems to work good for me. I change out ammo once a year. I shoot up what I've been carrying and buy new for the next season.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top