Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 12:43:42 PM EDT
I'm expecting my first 1911 sometime next week, so during my wait I decided to do some ammo shopping.  I asked my local gun shop guy (Larry) if he had any bulk .45 ammo laying around.  And as usual he had some strange ammo from a far off land that I never heard of before.  If you read this forum frequently, you may remember me asking around about some Guatamalan surplus .223 ammo I picked up for a steal.  By the way that stuff is freaking awsome and very realiable.  Anyways, Larry showed me some MFS .45cal, FMJ+P 230gr ammo he has for sale.  From what I can gather off the net, it's made (or was) in Hungary and imported by Intrac Arms International Inc. out of Knoxville Tennessee.  So I will ask the million dollar question.  Has anyone used this stuff or know anything about it?

Heres the stats that came with the box

For FMJ 230gr +p Load

Muzzle     10yds     25yds     50yds
Velocity (fps)     940          919        889        846
Energy (ft.lbs)    451          431        403        365
Trajectory (in.)     0            -0.2        -1.3        -5.3

One more question.  I've never shot +P loads before, are they safe compare to SAAMI loads?  My new gun is a SA 1911 PX9109L.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#1]
i don't have the numbers in front of me but +p is a saami spec.  the pressure is usually less than 15% higher than regular ammo.  if you are not sure if +p is safe to shoot in your new pistol i suggest you refer to your manual and if it is not noted in there then you can call sa to check.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:32:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I ordered 600 rounds from ammoman.com of this but it is not +P. I fired about 100 rounds through my H&K USP Compact with no problems. It is good ammo. Your 1911 probably is not recommmended to fire +P. I would not buy it for range ammo. There is really no reason to have 230gr and +P.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the point of using +P ball ammo just for shooting at the range?  Hollowpoints for self defense sure, but why subject yourself and your gun to the extra wear?   Sure, you need to shoot your carry ammo to know how it shoots, both in point of impact, and the recoil, but I don't see a reason to shoot it constantly.  And the recoil isn't so much of a difference that you need to train on it all the time.  It's not like shooting 38's at the range and carrying .357 magnum rounds.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used in in .45acp and .40s&w.

AIM Surplus had a special last year on it with free shipping.

I haven't used much of it yet (maybe 200rnds of each caliber), but it's all worked fine so far.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top