Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything 9mm between 115-147 grains.

They all make 9mm holes, deep.

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#2]
as everyone has said, there's no real difference except barrier performance. I'd prefer 147gr flat point because its less likely to deviate in auto glass, is softer shooting, and flat point ay slightly increase wounding. On the other hand 147 is worse for penetrating car doors, granted they all will penetrate similarly, so the difference isn't too extreme. Overall get what you can find and what your guns like, I have a mix of cheap 115gr, 124 Nato, and 147gr fmj stocked deep. And I have some L1A7 for when its winter shooting sub guns
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to go against the grain here.  I have read that just after the Second World War the US Army did a big wound ballistics/wounding effectiveness study.  One of the things that Army surgeons who had worked in the ETO told them again and again was that 9mm bullets were much more likely to shatter bone and much more likely to drive bone splinters deep into surrounding tissue as secondary missiles than any other common pistol caliber bullet they encountered, including .45 ACP, giving it effectiveness and lethality out of all proportion to its caliber.  They speculated that its greater velocity, especially with the German wartime steel-core 90gr FMJ ammunition they issued for the MP40, was responsible for the difference.  This study was one of the reasons NATO standardized 9mm.

With that in mind, I would seek out the highest velocity 9mm FMJ round I could, probably in 115gr because it's the lightest common FMJ bullet weight in 9mm, and look for +P or +P+ ammunition pushing 115gr FMJ to 1300+ ft/sec.  In soft tissue it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, but it just might shatter bone and generate bone splinters as secondary missiles a little better than the slow 147gr bullets.  The higher velocity, higher energy bullet just might be a little less likely to skip off angled automobile windshield glass and to penetrate certain types of barriers like automobile chassis a little better than slower, lower-energy bullets.  Maybe a little.  Recoil would be a little sharper than with the 147gr bullet, just a little, and the muzzle might rise a little tiny bit more.  That's a trade-off I'm willing to make, given how very mild and soft-shooting even the very hottest 9mm ammo is, especially in full-size service pistols.  It might possibly operate the mechanism a little more positively than lighter loads, which could help reliability under extremely adverse conditions, maybe, not that I am likely to live in a muddy trench for years on end.

From this perspective the Winchester M1152 high-velocity 115gr FMJ load looks like a good choice.  If, that is, the truncated-cone bullet feeds 100% in the guns I'd be shooting it in.  The truncated-cone bullet shape is supposedly less prone to changing direction in soft tissue and more likely to penetrate in a straight line without deviation, which is desirable from a perspective of bullet placement.  The old, old Hornady 124gr 9mm FMJ flat-nose bullet held some intriguing possibilities too, but, like Coca-Cola in green glass bottles, they don't make it any more.  Speer used to make a rather pointy-looking 124 or 125 grain FMJ 9mm bullet, too, back in the 80s, that was supposedly designed to yaw in soft tissue, or at least there were rumors that it was.  They don't make it any more either.

How much difference can any of this make?  Probably not much.  It's still just a non-deforming .36 caliber FMJ pistol bullet that's unlikely to yaw in soft tissue.  Even if it did, pistol bullets are generally so short and stubby that it wouldn't make much difference even if it did. Probably none of this can make much difference at all.  But maybe a tiny little bit.  And if my back is to the wall and I'm fighting for my life, I am inclined to take any advantage and seek out any kind of edge I can find.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#4]
147 gr flat point has worked well on critters at the ranch. Much better than the 115 WWB.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't matter. All will over penetrate and poke a .355 hole through the target.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The Winchester 124 grain FMJ NATO ammo makes my M&P 2.0 9MM shoot it's best groups and is reliable in it as well.  

The CZ's don't like it, they like the 115 grain FMJ better (again, for groups).  Oh, not Winchester 115 fmj, the Federal 115 grain FMJ.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#7]
147 or 158
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Having seen the results of this in a shooting please don't use this.

It is absolutely awful.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 1:51:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Having seen the results of this in a shooting please don't use this.

It is absolutely awful.
View Quote

sucked more so than other 9mm fmj? I'm curious abut the details, did it just flatten out and underpenetrate?or was it just the typical FMJ icepick wound
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#10]
What can you get?

What is reliable in your pistol?

What meets your accuracy requirements in your pistol(s)?

My CZ's like Federal 115 grain FMJ.

My M&P 2.0 9MM likes Winchester 124 grain FMJ NATO.

Likes means reliable and best groups.

Only other FMJ I've tried is the Winchester 115 grain FMJ and it's not as accurate as the others and so, so dirty.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

sucked more so than other 9mm fmj? I'm curious abut the details, did it just flatten out and underpenetrate?or was it just the typical FMJ icepick wound
View Quote

It’s a low power training round. It’s good for the range.

My wife told me the round entered the shoulder and bounced off a bone and out. She (per my wife) was in and out of the hospital in about 4 hours.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#12]
124 gr sellier and bellot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#13]
All I ever find is 115. I'd buy NATO if I could, only because I think it's loaded hotter. isn't 147 sub sonic? I'm not interested in subs. Speed kills, IMO.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 12:43:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It’s a low power training round. It’s good for the range.

My wife told me the round entered the shoulder and bounced off a bone and out. She (per my wife) was in and out of the hospital in about 4 hours.

View Quote

Wut!? Your wife got shot? Details? How did she know what kind of ammo was used?
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 2:10:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wut!? Your wife got shot? Details? How did she know what kind of ammo was used?
View Quote

No, she's an RN. (RN=registered nurse).

It was the fed syntech. Training use only.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Super Vel Hollowpoints!!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I would choose a 147 'PLATED' bullet. It has a flat nose, and possibly, being plated instead of a jacket it may actually get some expansion. If my state was to ever require FMJ for carry, like NJ, it would be a plated +P .45acp...most likely hand loaded.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:27:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If over penetration is the big issue like seem people say, wouldnt a 147gr or 156 or158gr (forget which one 9mm subs come in) sub be a better choice?
View Quote

The heavier 9mm will penetrate deeper.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:00:35 AM EDT
[#19]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWf81jlaQU4

the New M1152 would be my choice.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top